took gt500 out of storage...i now have 2 wet/rust stripes down entire driveway

huggytree

Established Member
bought the car in Feb, drove it 1000 iles home
i washed the car about 5 weeks ago before i put it into storage....i used a sprinkler to get the salt off the bottom

took it out today and when driving down the driveway rust water POURED out....2 rust stripes down the whole 40' driveway....it appears to have come out of what looks like the frame?? its bent metal about 1 1/2-2" wide on either side of the car....whats going on?

also my rims are now brown/red from all the rust off the brakes

typically after i wash my cars i drive them around the subdivision to get the water out of all the crevises.....since it was Feb i didnt....i just washed it and backed it into the garage

i assume normal Mustangs run through salt all winter long....so i doubt my cars going to rust out from 1-1000 mile trip through salt.......just wondering if the rust came from some suspension part or what? obviously its something that isnt painted/rustproofed

anyways took the wife out for a spirited drive.....its 55 degree's here and there's still salt dust on the roads....i was able to put my foot 2/3rd down to the floor in 1st and hold the road and then floor it into 2nd.....stopped at about 80-90 mph

the traction control is scary......i know its 200 more hp than my Challenger, but it feels like there's no TC there.....my Challenger corrects any spin w/o you barely telling.....the GT500 will move a few feet sideways at 40mph without hardly trying.....very different

this is a car you need to respect much more than the Challenger

both me and the wife agreed its significantly faster than the 392 Challenger...even with the 55 degree traction.....i most likely would have beat my challenger in a race from 10 to 80mph today

the main difference is my challenger wouldnt have even spun its tires

im still happy i got the gt500....its amazing, comfortable and bad ass

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Just took mine out the first time above 70 degrees. Nice traction, much more usable than when it was 50 out.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
If you set the display to big boost gauge and get out of vacuum side be ready at 50 to 55 degrees. The advance track comes into play at about 18 inches off center if you lift at that point it can not help because it uses braking action to keep the car straight so if you lift you are on your own :) just keep steering if you lift you can catch it :) if you don't lift completely it will catch itself (wife thinks she is an awesome driver lol) when we have taken long trips and we just got back from one with the tires hot this car will do anything you ask it to :)

JDJ

Established Member
bought the car in Feb, drove it 1000 iles home
i washed the car about 5 weeks ago before i put it into storage....i used a sprinkler to get the salt off the bottom

took it out today and when driving down the driveway rust water POURED out....2 rust stripes down the whole 40' driveway....it appears to have come out of what looks like the frame?? its bent metal about 1 1/2-2" wide on either side of the car....whats going on?

also my rims are now brown/red from all the rust off the brakes

typically after i wash my cars i drive them around the subdivision to get the water out of all the crevises.....since it was Feb i didnt....i just washed it and backed it into the garage

i assume normal Mustangs run through salt all winter long....so i doubt my cars going to rust out from 1-1000 mile trip through salt.......just wondering if the rust came from some suspension part or what? obviously its something that isnt painted/rustproofed

anyways took the wife out for a spirited drive.....its 55 degree's here and there's still salt dust on the roads....i was able to put my foot 2/3rd down to the floor in 1st and hold the road and then floor it into 2nd.....stopped at about 80-90 mph

the traction control is scary......i know its 200 more hp than my Challenger, but it feels like there's no TC there.....my Challenger corrects any spin w/o you barely telling.....the GT500 will move a few feet sideways at 40mph without hardly trying.....very different

this is a car you need to respect much more than the Challenger

both me and the wife agreed its significantly faster than the 392 Challenger...even with the 55 degree traction.....i most likely would have beat my challenger in a race from 10 to 80mph today

the main difference is my challenger wouldnt have even spun its tires

im still happy i got the gt500....its amazing, comfortable and bad ass

I live in German and just rolled my baby out yesterday. I did not have any rust water but the brakes were stuck and rust on the rotors. I HAVE NOTICED THE PAINT IS VERY THIN ON THE UNDER SIDE OF THE HOOD AND TRUNK. My car is gray and I swear I see dark orange in a lot of out of site places. They did use a good coat of paint on the under side of the car. The car was stored inside from Oct to now.

huggytree

Established Member
got a few more fun runs in today.....almost went into on coming traffic...in 50 degree weather dont play with it!.......after spinning my tires a bit i was able to get traction....i would never consider flooring it with traffic anywhere near you....

the power is shocking..........day and night to my 470hp Challenger.....closest thing to compare it to is a high speed roller coaster

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Ok, so you took it from the showroom floor & drove it through salty roads for several hundred miles on the first day? Imagine that. Poor car. It will never be the same.
That's how dodges should be treated, not Shelby's!

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
facepalm.gif

Florian

Established Member
roads still have salt dust on em here...I will be waiting for a few rainstorms to wash it off before I get the Shelby out of storage. Salt is the devil on these cars, avoid at all costs.

F

POPPAJ

Established Member
Too bad. Lacking heated storage it's best to place plastic sheeting under the vehicle and keep a small fan running to circulate the air. This would have prevented your frame from holding water.

huggytree

Established Member
i have a sheet of plastic under my Challenger, but didnt have one yet for my Shebly

just wondering where the rust came from??

i assume the frame isnt rusting or body panels....i assume its from some untreated/bare part...something that dripped onto the frame rail

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
i have a sheet of plastic under my Challenger, but didnt have one yet for my Shebly

just wondering where the rust came from??

i assume the frame isnt rusting or body panels....i assume its from some untreated/bare part...something that dripped onto the frame rail
Sure it didn't come from the mufflers?

It's just light surface rust from water.

No need to be concernEd

huggytree

Established Member
who knows where it ran from...it was definately coming off the frame rails near the front wheels

no chance it came out of the mufflers

i noticed a puddle of rust when i took it out of the garage about 4" around...solid rust water....then saw where it came from.....when i drove it down the driveway it left a rust trail....not just a drop here and there...pretty much a solid line of rust on the passenger side and also a fair amount from the drivers side

im sure its nothing....i just found it odd how the water collected there...and where the heck did it come from

its not normal to run a sprinkler under your car....im sure Ford didnt think of that one....
not too worried....just found it odd....my 2 year old drive way is most likely rust stained now for a year or two....made me wish i had black top again...concrete shows all the rust and also rubber from turning the tires...especially from the high performance cars...

Last edited:

huggytree

Established Member
im going to try a power washer this weekend....my driveway is full of sand from this winter anyways...time to scrub down the whole drive...i was hoping to seal it this year, but unless the rust comes out i wont....no need to seal it in for a few years...better to let the rain slowly remove it

thanks for the tip though...ive used it before...problem is it makes the area too clean...it will be a bleached out spot if i clr it

dotmpeg

Established Member
im going to try a power washer this weekend....my driveway is full of sand from this winter anyways...time to scrub down the whole drive...i was hoping to seal it this year, but unless the rust comes out i wont....no need to seal it in for a few years...better to let the rain slowly remove it

thanks for the tip though...ive used it before...problem is it makes the area too clean...it will be a bleached out spot if i clr it

Post pics of the rust on driveway

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
I thought you tracked it to your frame somewhere. But if you don't know. It could be from the exhaust pipe; rust from water sitting from that last wash or accumulated condensation.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Huggy, you drove it home on salty roads, I remember the pictures. Around here (up north), 1 trip on slushy salty roads takes a permanent toll on a car, now you now why.

Users who are viewing this thread