Took an EVO 8 owner for a ride

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
So my buddy owns an EVO 8 with mods running 23lbs of boost and 360 rwhp so he came over so we could install a new rear sway bar .After we are done he says take it out for a test ride.So we hop in,I've never driven it before and its pretty peppy for a 2 liter. So we get back and I say let me take you for a ride in the Cobra. So we hop in and go for a ride and afterwards his only comment was" Well I guess I won't be racing any Cobras"
Thought that was priceless

term

Established Member
There is a EVO here in my town that claims to have 10k+ in mods and run 10s that wants to race my cobra for cash. I have been wondering how fast they can really be.

SNAKESWINGER

Established Member
I think they can be pretty fast especially from a dig with that all wheel drive, only problem with his is with the cams and stuff it has absolutely no mid range power at all...you really have to spin it up to make power. And I think that they are real part breakers at that level if you run them hard, it has little tiny driveshafts and half shafts

cobra101

Established Member
Will their motor last as long as ours with all this power? I believe the evo does not have a forged bottom end, correct?

Mann, those are some fast evo's :)

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
There's a member on this board who sold his EVO for an '03 Cobra.

He came to the darkside because there were high and ongoing repair costs from bumping the power on the EVO. Something about problems with the transmission and frequent clutch replacements, if I recall correctly, just to mention a few.

ak_cobra

Established Member
ya those little cars start to fall apart with that much power. i had a low 12 second wrx that i traded in on my cobra and it was so unreliable it was ridiculous.

Established Member
Originally posted by RedfireVert
There's a member on this board who sold his EVO for an '03 Cobra.

He came to the darkside because there were high and ongoing repair costs from bumping the power on the EVO. Something about problems with the transmission and frequent clutch replacements, if I recall correctly, just to mention a few.

That person is me :) My Evo can be seen here http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/evo/

and my Cobra is in the signature, awaiting her first round of mods :rockon:

Yes, they are AWD and if he has 360hp he had 13 less than me. I ran a 12.6 @ 114 on a broken front differential. There is a flaw in the transmission spacers, and the transfer case is a potential weak point. The stock clutch is nothing to get excited over either - but that's fixable (though not the cheapest option in the world). They are expensive to make 1/4 ready like a Cobra or Mustang product. They are tremendous handling cars with the potential to destory Z06 quality cars on road coarses. As Austin Powers would say, that's just "not my bag."

For me, the Cobra is a better daily driver and easier to get into the 11's without having to drive it like I hate it.

I'm sure I'll get thrashed by an Evo owner for this - they can be zealous at times. After all, it is a cool car!

Established Member
Originally posted by cobra101
Will their motor last as long as ours with all this power? I believe the evo does not have a forged bottom end, correct?

Mann, those are some fast evo's :)

Yes, they do have a completely forged bottom end. The engine is a work of art, the tranny could use some design help and the 50/50 vicious coupling AWD system is archaic compared to the version the Jap's get on their Evo's (ACD/AYC).

03RedCobra

Established Member
Well, somebody said in this thread that there are too many problems with the EVO, with parts breaking, clutches, transmission, etc... Well, like our Cobras DON'T have any problems ?!?!? Let's see, cylinder head problems, Halfshaft breakage, etc..... Seems to me that our cars have just as much problems as the EVO, if not more !!!

But, when it comes down to it......I'd MUCH rather be driving the BEAST that the Cobra is !! I mean, hey, how many heads have turned to look at an EVO driving down the street ?? Well, I'm sure it turns the heads of the teenagers saying, "WOW, I'd like to use that car to put some nice bling-bling on it !!", or, some housewife saying, "WOW, I'd LOVE to have that car, it has 4-doors to take me and the kids to the grocery store !!" . People turn their heads and look at our cars and say, "WOW, look at the beefed-up, powerful looking example of good ol' American Muscle !!!"

D-Cobra

Established Member
it is possible for those cars to go really fast. but the cobra still has the upper hand when it comes to top speed, power and torque. spend the same 10G's wisely on a cobra would definitly kill any EVO with the same 10G's investment. just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread