Too old to enlist?

Last

Established Member
I have an employee that is considering enlisting, specifically Air Force or Marine Corps. He is 26, and has only worked food service, finished high school, and no college. He is in no shape at all, probably 5'10 ~250. I told him neither one would take him since he is so out of shape, I believe that is +70 lbs for his AF weight. My suggestion was to put in a good 6 months of hard work to get his weight down and then go talk to a recruiter, by this time he would be 27. So what is "Too old to enlist".

BRNG ITT

Established Member
The Navy's cutoff is 35 if I remember correctly.

When I was recruiting for the Navy, the requirement is that you step foot into bootcamp no later than the day prior to you turning 35 years old. The reason being is so that you would be able to complete 20 years by the time you were 55.

I don't believe that requirement has changed.

Jtaugner

Established Member
Seems a lot of peole are joining towards the cutoff age than when I enlisted.

2 of my 3 subordinates enlisted at 26 & 27. Both are atleast 4 years older than I am.

03ZYSVT

Established Member
The cut off for the AF was 28 when I enlisted. And the hard part is definitely going to be his weight to height. I'm 5'9" and my max weight was only allowed to be 185. My recruiter said he would not send me unless I was 10 pounds under my max. I'm not 100% on what his weight should be but he has a ways to go. He's going to have to go on a serious diet and exercise regimen.

Last

Established Member
I just looked at the AF website, 27 is the cut off. Looks like AF is out. Marine PT will murder him. After talking to him today he seemed to be on about something else, I think he just says he wants to go in.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I went thru USMC bootcamp with a 33yo in 2006. He put us all to shame when it came to PT, so thats probably why he got waivered.

Last edited:

Eaglei532

Still kinda boot at this
Established Member
The height and weight standards are pretty crazy in the corps right now, my buddy gets measured at 5'8'' and has to make 173 LBS. Also, we are in a massive troop draw down that is going to make enlistment very very competitive.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
The height and weight standards are pretty crazy in the corps right now, my buddy gets measured at 5'8'' and has to make 173 LBS. Also, we are in a massive troop draw down that is going to make enlistment very very competitive.

Your buddy either doesn't know how to read a chart or isn't 5'8".

The max wt for 68 inches is 181. 66 is 170. If he's 68 inches @ 173 he's fine, although if he looks like a slob he could still get put on BCP.

The USMC ht/wt standards are really not that difficult. Just PT and eat correctly. No real mystery.

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
I just finished up recruiting for the Marine Corps... hes gtg as far as age, just needs to be a pt stud, they are reaaally strict right now.... any tattoos or possession charges or felonies and hes toast.... its a no go. the tattoos it all depends on where and how many that is if he has any

Nukem1040

Established Member
Screw the age part. He is 5'10" and weighs 250!! I am 5'10, 210lbs, 30 yrs old and have been getting taped since I enlisted. I'm suppose to weigh 185. I have to always watch my shape because the tape test. 250 lbs?!, no way. He needs to shave 40lbs before he could possibly come close to passing the tape test.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Screw the age part. He is 5'10" and weighs 250!! I am 5'10, 210lbs, 30 yrs old and have been getting taped since I enlisted. I'm suppose to weigh 185. I have to always watch my shape because the tape test. 250 lbs?!, no way. He needs to shave 40lbs before he could possibly come close to passing the tape test.

5'10 and 250 is def pushing it. I think of Emmitt Smith and Mike Tyson who were about 5'10 and both between 220 and 230- both were stacked. 250 is def fatass unless he lives in the gym in which case he probably can't run to save his life.:nonono:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
ahahaha ^ yep.... def didnt pay attention to the weight... Yeah I would say thats a no go my friend... I had a female come in at she was about 5'3 maybe 5'4 and she weighed a solid 230 on the hoof, It took all the bearing in the world to tell her without laughing, "sorry, your just not tall enough for your weight" lol

MrWesson22

Established Member
Even if a recruiter will take him at that age and weight (weight being a bigger factor), there's a difference between whether or not you can and should.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Shiiiiiiit I was 5'10" and 200 lbs and I still ended up dropping over 30 lbs before I joined. You wouldn't want any of that extra weight in BMT/boot camp.

03cobraracer

Established Member
yeah he definately needs to drop some serious weight.. when i started thinking about joining the army i was 5'9 and weighed about 260 i was fat as hell lol. but in 5 months i lost a little over 50lbs, i passed tape to enlist and ended up getting down to 185 in basic. im at a steady 195lbs now but thats with lifting on a constant basis so its muscle weight now. tell him if he really wants it he can lose the weight and get good in PT, but hes gotta work his ass off. i was 27 when i joined and i made it.

Users who are viewing this thread