Too much power for stock engine?

milas

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT with the FRPP Whipple kit, and I just put a 3.125" pulley on it with a VMP 67mm throttle body and 127mm JLT CF CAI and tune from VMP, and the run on the dyno showed 657 hp and 530 ft lb torque at 9 psi. I was making about 533 rwhp before and was shocked with the increase! However, now I'm a little worried that my stock bottom end isn't going to hold up to that power level (but I do have billet OPG). Any advice whether I need to dial back the tune, build a new engine, or just let her rip?

Last edited:

Jdm351

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT with the FRPP Whipple kit, and I just put a 3.125" pulley on it with a VMP 67mm throttle body and 127mm JLT CF CAI and tune from VMP, and the run on the dyno showed 657 hp and 530 lb ft torque at 9 psi. I was making about 533 rwhp before and was shocked with the increase! However, now I'm a little worried that my stock bottom end isn't going to hold up to that power level (but I do have billet OPG). Any advice whether I need to dial back the tune, build a new engine, or just let her rip?
What fuel? And post the sheet to satisfy my curiosity, if you would.

milas

Established Member
91 octane pump (tune says 93 octane).
AFR had a couple lean spots, so I'm putting on a VMP fuel pump booster.
5cf6af57896bcf948b4ec7d7099c62ed.jpg
1a7117c81b8c5a831623c2bed88e2a4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

_Snake_

Established Member
I'll go one step further and say that's a lot of power for 91 and no fuel system upgrades

Jdm351

Established Member
i wouldn't run 657 on 91 without a built motor for too long. I'd be nervous each time I stepped into the throttle. What kind of dyno did you run it on? Did you ask vmp what they thought?

milas

Established Member
Mainline chassis dyno. I've been disappointed with all the pulls I've had before being really low (under 400 with full bolt ons NA), so I was shocked by this being 657 hp!

I have 47lb injectors, will the VMP BAP be enough for fuel upgrade? Maybe set the rev limiter to 7000?

I sent VMP a question on it yesterday, but haven't heard back.

milas

Established Member
Watched the video, but why would you buy a junkyard Coyote and build it instead of just putting new rods and pistons in my current engine?

I also just watched an American Muscle video where that Justin guy is pushing 650hp on his stock Coyote. If they do it on AM, it has to be okay, right?

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Daily driver.
Not.
The advice expressed in the video is from two VMP employees. You know, the people you emailed!

Jdm351

Established Member
Watched the video, but why would you buy a junkyard Coyote and build it instead of just putting new rods and pistons in my current engine?

I also just watched an American Muscle video where that Justin guy is pushing 650hp on his stock Coyote. If they do it on AM, it has to be okay, right?
The idea of buying a junkyard motor to build and swap is two fold:
1. Your car isn't down while you pull the motor and build it.
2. When done, you have an entire engine to sell to offset the cost of the built one. You'd probably have $5-6k into it and can sell yours for $4-4500.

rustang1

Established Member
657 at the wheels with 47lb injectors and no BAP???

I know two popular tuners that would not tune my car without ID1000's and a BAP at 9-10lb of boost. Hmmmmm

milas

Established Member
I have the VMP BAP on now, with the tune adjusted for it. I thought it might get a little lean with the extra air, and it was not too bad on the AFR data, but clearly worth adding the BAP in this case.

Again, I was not expecting a 125 hp jump from a 3.375" to 3.125" pulley change, 110mm to 127mm CAI swap, and 60 to 67mm twin TB change still at 9psi boost. I'm quite impressed with the results from VMP, I was hoping for about 70hp to just get me to ~600 rwhp, just worried now about longevity at 650+!

Last edited:

rustang1

Established Member
Was it the same dyno before and after? It's hard for me to believe the 657 number and that big of a jump from the changes made.
Either the first dyno was low or the second was high.
I have been told by tuners and read many threads that 47lb injectors are good for 600-625 max with a BAP

650+whp is definitely in the danger zone on a stock motor. It may fail at any time really. It may last a year or two if you drive with caution.
Every time you go WOT chances of carnage goes up.

You have to decide if it's worth the risk.

Anyway, congrats on a great running ride!

milas

Established Member
Was it the same dyno before and after? It's hard for me to believe the 657 number and that big of a jump from the changes made.
Either the first dyno was low or the second was high.
I have been told by tuners and read many threads that 47lb injectors are good for 600-625 max with a BAP

650+whp is definitely in the danger zone on a stock motor. It may fail at any time really. It may last a year or two if you drive with caution.
Every time you go WOT chances of carnage goes up.

You have to decide if it's worth the risk.

Anyway, congrats on a great running ride!
Same dyno, first run was in December and the major difference was it was done in 4th gear instead of 5th, so it was probably 15-20hp low due to that. However, it should've been close.

I can't believe it myslef, I was floored when they gave me the 657hp number, I've always been low on their dyno. I guess I'll find out when I take her to the strip (and hopefully not blow the engine in the meantime).

Now I need to figure out how to get a better bottom end. I was not gifted with mechanical expertise enough to build an engine, I struggled doing all the bolt ons myself (but damn proud I did). I'm leaning towards buying a built short block, but I'm lost on knowing what to get, and then doing the install is a whole nother story! Any advice?
10affbaa524873d6c536d34a2061d6c2.jpg

nxhappy

Established Member
650 is a lot onna stock motor. Did you log fuel pump duty cycle and injector cycle? You need to make sure it has plenty of fuel. You also need to make sure AFR is around 11.5 @ WOT. Also, if you are running 91, I HIGHLY recommend torco. It could save your motor one day. 91 is too risky with high boost and high HP motors.

milas

Established Member
650 is a lot onna stock motor. Did you log fuel pump duty cycle and injector cycle? You need to make sure it has plenty of fuel. You also need to make sure AFR is around 11.5 @ WOT. Also, if you are running 91, I HIGHLY recommend torco. It could save your motor one day. 91 is too risky with high boost and high HP motors.
Thanks, what would a good mix be with Torco? Shoot for 95 octane?

milas

Established Member
Go to 3.25 pulley when on pump and put 3.1 when at the track and run race fuel mix...that way you bring it down a notch, and not go crazy. I am happy for you results.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the svtperformance.com mobile app
That sounds like the least expensive option, kind of the way I was leaning. I just wasn't expecting 650+ out of this setup!

Users who are viewing this thread