Too much of a drop?

sassafras

Established Member
Just put on some coilover and Bruce's complete bushing kit (A BIG thanks to him, the kit is just unreal), and I got my car leveled out and was wondering if you guys think this was too much of a drop? You'll have to excuse the car being filthy, it's tree sperm season here in Alabama and a clean car gets coated in pollen just by sitting outside for 10 minutes. Also it looks like the rear is lower, I think it's just my picture taking skills as the camera wasn't level.

2e5v0hk.jpg

CobraKid04

Established Member
na looks good but, take a pic from the front looking at the side, so we can see the wheel gaps.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Ryan:

The car does not look too low IMHO. But take a look at your front and rear lower control arms and make sure they are close to level. If they are close to level, you're good to go.

How long have you been driving the car since the bushing kit install!?!? Give us your thoughts on how the car drives.

Also, how smoothly did the install go for you!?!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

viper82489

Established Member
I think it looks perfect. When i put my bushing kit in i couldn't believe the difference it made in how the car handled I cant imagine what it would be like with the coilovers.

sassafras

Established Member
Ryan:

The car does not look too low IMHO. But take a look at your front and rear lower control arms and make sure they are close to level. If they are close to level, you're good to go.

How long have you been driving the car since the bushing kit install!?!? Give us your thoughts on how the car drives.

Also, how smoothly did the install go for you!?!

Rears are level, fronts point up some, I'm switching k-members in the near future so maybe that'll work itself out. Bruce, is this going to be that big of a deal if they are pointing up some?

These coilovers are going to drive me freaking insane trying to get the height equal on both sides. I think I'll have it right, and it'll measure really close, and I'll come back a few hours later and one side has dropped a little bit, don't know if I'm being too anal or what. I'm just going to drop it for the night and pick it back up tomorrow afternoon.

Install wasn't too bad, just very labor intensive. I had a small hiccup getting the rear subframe pushed back into the mounting holes but that was solved in about half an hour. Other than that, everything was smooth sailing and the instructions were great

I have not got to drive it very much, just up and down the road to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart, since I haven't got it aligned yet, but that's coming this week and I'll let you know about handling on it. Thanks again for the awesome kit.

svt2ner

Established Member
Better have those rear fenders rolled if not already. I ran similar ride height for a long while, then raised the rear slightly more than 1/2 inch and is much better.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Rears are level, fronts point up some, I'm switching k-members in the near future so maybe that'll work itself out. Bruce, is this going to be that big of a deal if they are pointing up some?

It's not really a big deal if the LCA points up slightly. The more it points up from level, the more you need a bumpsteer kit and the car bumpsteered.

These coilovers are going to drive me freaking insane trying to get the height equal on both sides. I think I'll have it right, and it'll measure really close, and I'll come back a few hours later and one side has dropped a little bit, don't know if I'm being too anal or what. I'm just going to drop it for the night and pick it back up tomorrow afternoon.

It's going to take a while for those springs to take set so they will be settling for a while.

One thing you need to keep in mind with coil-overs is this: you think you're raising the car when you run up the adjustment nut one, two or three turns on any given coil-over. When in fact what you are actually doing is putting more weight or load on that particular corner and that actually makes the car drop in height at that corner and not raise. :read: So if you're trying to raise the ride height slightly, you run the nut down, not up. In order to set-up a coil-over suspension properly you really should be setting-up the car on scales. :idea:

You can raise or lower a side of the car or either end of the car in unison by cranking the nuts up or down. But when you're dealing with one corner you're raising the cross weight those two corners are carrying. (opposite corner as well) Again, setting-up the car on scales will give you optimum balance and best handling.

Install wasn't too bad, just very labor intensive. I had a small hiccup getting the rear subframe pushed back into the mounting holes but that was solved in about half an hour. Other than that, everything was smooth sailing and the instructions were great

Glad to hear the install wasn't too bad and the instructions were good! :-D

I have not got to drive it very much, just up and down the road to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart, since I haven't got it aligned yet, but that's coming this week and I'll let you know about handling on it. Thanks again for the awesome kit.

Once you get it sorted out and aligned I would appreciate hearing your review!

Good luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread