Too much money

a12ozbottle

Established Member
Is $1200 too much to spend on a new 8.8 center section? Comes with new aluminum housing, trac lock, gears, and heavy duty cover. Can't seem to find a used one. Checked junkyards, forums, ebay. There are a couple on ebay but seem a little on the high side.

Last edited:

a12ozbottle

Established Member
Trying to find an aluminum 8.8 irs center section. Need 31 spline, 3.73 gears, and trac lock. Going into a CTS V. Figured Cobra guys would be more knowledgeable about this than I am.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Did you post a want to buy add in the market section? You can buy a whole IRS rear for less then 1000.

a12ozbottle

Established Member
Did you post a want to buy add in the market section? You can buy a whole IRS rear for less then 1000.

I did, no responses yet. I guess I should just be patient, but you know how it is when you want something. Want to get my weak rear end out before I put too much power to it.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Does it need to be aluminum? If not then you can find a cast iron one from a t-bird supercoupe (89-92) much cheaper, and just rebuild with whatever gears you want. The cast iron pumpkin is way stronger also if you are looking for big power capacity. If you have to have aluminum, then go to a junkyard and get one from a Lincoln and build it up the way you want. Even that route would be half as expensive as the numbers you are talking.

a12ozbottle

Established Member
Does it need to be aluminum? If not then you can find a cast iron one from a t-bird supercoupe (89-92) much cheaper, and just rebuild with whatever gears you want. The cast iron pumpkin is way stronger also if you are looking for big power capacity. If you have to have aluminum, then go to a junkyard and get one from a Lincoln and build it up the way you want. Even that route would be half as expensive as the numbers you are talking.

I would prefer aluminum...I don't foresee going over 500rwhp. I think the aluminum one can handle that. I haven't ruled out iron, not thrilled about the added weight though. I guess I will just see what I can find. My stock center housing is barely rated for the power/weight the car comes with.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, if you are going to add weight anywhere to the car, that is not a bad place (traction). Honestly the difference is only 15 lbs., or so, but it is way stronger, and easier to set up the gears. To properly do the aluminum one you need a case spreader to get the bearing preload correct on the carrier. Good luck either way, though.:beer:

a12ozbottle

Established Member
Well, if you are going to add weight anywhere to the car, that is not a bad place (traction). Honestly the difference is only 15 lbs., or so, but it is way stronger, and easier to set up the gears. To properly do the aluminum one you need a case spreader to get the bearing preload correct on the carrier. Good luck either way, though.:beer:

You're right, would probably be good idea to get it as strong as possible, especially since its cheaper too. As far as building it up, I will probably take it to a shop. I can do quite a few things, but rebuilding a pumpkin intimidates me.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
How about a brand new one with a girdle for under $600?

8.8" IRS HOUSING KIT W/GIRDLE COVER | Part Details for M-4010-G3 | Ford Racing Performance Parts

M-4010-G3.jpg

Notes:

● Includes: Aluminum IRS differential housing with side seals and outer side bearings installed, rear cover part # : M-4033-G3, rear cover bolts, pinion flange, oil slinger and vent tube
● Original equipment housing from 1999-2004 Mustang Cobra with 8.8-inch rear
● Does not include gear set, gear installation kit or IRS compatible differential

Users who are viewing this thread