Too much clutch for my car...How should I set up PSI and shocks to launch?

silvercoffin

Established Member
I got a spec 3+ and aluminum fly wheel.

During my research about clutches and the driveline tons of people on this site went on and on about getting the 26 spline input shaft and about how I would break mine. NO ONE ever mentioned wheel hop...something I should have thought of myself. I guess many people on here dont race much or they would have mentioned it..

So im pissed...I have this great clutch that holds so well that I am putting too much power to quickly to the wheels and IM not sure how much I can change the way I am driving becuase the clutch is very on/off.

What should I try first? Tire preasure or rear shock adjustment?

I went to the track with everything set up the same way except I brought my BFG drag radials instead of the MT drag radials I used last season.
I am going to go back to MTs...gonna have to buy another set.

I ran tire preasure on run 1 at 17psi and my QA1s at 8 (1-15 soft to firm)
Then run two I ran 15psi and 6 on the shocks. psi on stock 275 40 17 tires.

I never had such bad wheel hop. I didnt even realize what it was at first and I hope I didnt break anything. but the second run I tried to launch easy and it was just as bad.

I am hoping that it's possible for me to relearn how to drive the car with this clutch.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

I used BFG DRag Radials.

Walking. I was trying to drive the same way I used my old clutches.

Run one I rev to 3500 started letting the clutch out easy and then out quick once I started moving.. I tried slightly slipping the clutch like I used to.. still cut 1.76 60ft but im lucky I didnt leave my rear at the starting line.

Run 2 I reved to 3000 and tried to ease out even slower. But this clutch just engages it seems no matter what you do with the pedal. 1.90 60ft

(Last season I was on Mickey Thompson DRs and I think i will definetely go back to them. I used the BFGs because I was driving to the track and the MTs are almost bald)

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
With a more aggressive clutch you need more tire. And you need to learn how to drive again. No offense.

I just put a SPEC 2 in my car and Its a whole new ball game compared to stock.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member

no offense taken.. In fact I like to hear that because after the two runs I had yesterday I had doubts whether driving the car will be possible with this clutch.

I left early because on sundays its 2+ hours between runs. Next time I go will be a friday night for test and tune so I can actually practice.

I'll go and ignore the light..just concentrate on how I am launch the car.

.With what I have would run higher or lower preasure?

I was going to start just under street preasure...maybe 28 or so and see if that helps. I'd rather spin the tires than destroy my car..

Then once I establish a new tire preasure to use I was goint to play with my shocks. I'll probably start with the shocks soft at maybe 3 and then once I think I have the tire preasure right start tightening the shocks a few clicks at a time..

The only other thing I have read about online is cutting the rear springs to help. I might ask my mechanic about that.

Last edited:

MVD

Established Member
Running less tire pressure will not destroy your rear end. You want the tire soft to absorb the shock on the driveline. I would run the DR's at 16-18psi to start and set your QA-1's low (3 or less).

If possible, have someone video tape your car when you launch. You want the car to squat and stay down, if the shocks are too hard it will not squat (obviously) but if the shocks are too soft it will squat so hard it will rebound and come back up.....unless you have double adjustable QA-1's ;-)

Also if you have adjustable front struts set them stiff so they rise easy but do not compress at all......this will hurt aerodynamics a bit but help keep the a$$ end squated.

Users who are viewing this thread