Too much boost on pump gas

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
My tuner called me today with a problem, my Cobra is making too much boost on pump gas (I run 94 octane). The Cobra ran 20lbs of boost with the new 2.3L WHIPPLE and 3" pulley. They are saying that the cold weather (around32 F) is a big factor right now as the air is not as dense therefore it would be a must to run race gas. So, they are saying to come back in the spring when warmer weather comes around to tune it properly to pump gas.
SUCKS, I was looking forward to having it all done this week.:mj:

slo-poc

SKYNET 03
Established Member
um......pull timing...etc...I have psi etc...in sig...and I see 20 psi peaks and 19 all the damn time.....safe tune at 20* 93 pump.a/f is 11.5-11.8... ..race tune for me is 104....

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Get a different upper pulley.

I had a 3.00" upper on my Whipple and only saw 17psi, 18psi on cool days. I did have a full Bassani exhaust setup though.

I ran 94 octane as well.

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
Get a different upper pulley.

I had a 3.00" upper on my Whipple and only saw 17psi, 18psi on cool days. I did have a full Bassani exhaust setup though.

I ran 94 octane as well.

larger pulley will give me less boost. What are you running now? I have got the Bassani X-pipe and Borla Cat-back and all the CAI needed.

03cobramanIII

Banned
my pump gas tune will be at 18 psi ? with 3.5 pulley if it doesnt see 18 the tuner has a 3.25 pulley he will swap out with me, it might be 18/19 psi ?
my question is, im going on dec 6th, at 1 pm to tuned, so i think the temp will be in the mid 60s to uppers , will this be ok if it gets colder/ or hotter during the year?

Last edited:

Redfirecobra04

Established Member
my pump gas tune will be at 18 psi ? with 3.5 pulley if it doesnt see 18 the tuner has a 3.25 pulley he will swap out with me, it might be 18/19 psi ?
my question is, im going on dec 6th, at 1 pm to tunes in mississippi, so i think the temp will be in the mid 60s to uppers , will this be ok if it gets colder/ or hotter during the year?

I think that tuning the car in 60's weather is perfect. That's like the average air temp. Colder temps help your numbers. As long as you don't go over 20psi I guess.
I think it might be a challenge to get to 19 with 3.25" upper.

03cobramanIII

Banned
I think that tuning the car in 60's weather is perfect. That's like the average air temp. Colder temps help your numbers. As long as you don't go over 20psi I guess.
I think it might be a challenge to get to 19 with 3.25" upper.
dont forget the whipples and k/bell are different on boost with the same pulleys

03cobramanIII

Banned
make sure you send me a PM once you get your numbers in, like to see them. Then we can see which one of the t:beer:wo blowers is better.
im going to make a post on it , on the 7th.
i cant wait, to get it tuned,i had to postpone it once allready. i know the whips makes well over 600 rwhp.

you need to make a sig with your mods in it.

Users who are viewing this thread