Too Low?? MM Coilovers

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
I bought my car with MM coilovers and the previos owner had the suspension alligned to a "more than generous" ride height (over 2.5" gap) and I never felt like lowering it but didn't want to get an allignment. now that it's in the garage for the winter i figured i'd slam the front end.

Originally the spring was 5 inches up the threaded sleeve on the coilover, almost maximum ride height >:O, which gave me a fender to tire gap of 2.6 inches.

I dropped the spring to 3.9 inches up the threaded sleeve and got a gap of 2.25, a very minimal difference. :(

So i pulled the tires back off, and lowered the spring to only 2.8 inches up the threaded sleeve and had a gap of 1.63, which was a little better but still had room to go.

So for the final time I pulled off the tires and lowered the spring to only 1.7 inches, about 25% of the max ride height. I figured this would be spot on, so i cleaned up the wheel well and tire gelled the wheel well and the tire, threw on the lugs and dropped the front end. I actually got the jack stuck under the car it was so low. I had a gap from the tire to the fender of .95 inches. It looks sick and the tire looks much more tucked and less awkward, BUT i wanted to know if I should/can go lower. It definitly has a good quarter inch until it looks completely slammed.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I bought my car with MM coilovers and the previos owner had the suspension alligned to a "more than generous" ride height (over 2.5" gap) and I never felt like lowering it but didn't want to get an allignment. now that it's in the garage for the winter i figured i'd slam the front end.

Originally the spring was 5 inches up the threaded sleeve on the coilover, almost maximum ride height >:O, which gave me a fender to tire gap of 2.6 inches.

I dropped the spring to 3.9 inches up the threaded sleeve and got a gap of 2.25, a very minimal difference. :(

So i pulled the tires back off, and lowered the spring to only 2.8 inches up the threaded sleeve and had a gap of 1.63, which was a little better but still had room to go.

So for the final time I pulled off the tires and lowered the spring to only 1.7 inches, about 25% of the max ride height. I figured this would be spot on, so i cleaned up the wheel well and tire gelled the wheel well and the tire, threw on the lugs and dropped the front end. I actually got the jack stuck under the car it was so low. I had a gap from the tire to the fender of .95 inches. It looks sick and the tire looks much more tucked and less awkward, BUT i wanted to know if I should/can go lower. It definitly has a good quarter inch until it looks completely slammed.

You SHOULD be doing this on a set of scales otherwise you're going to end up with an ill balanced car that won't handle well. :read:

The reason the coil-overs are on the car are to optimize the suspension set-up. :idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
You SHOULD be doing this on a set of scales otherwise you're going to end up with an ill balanced car that won't handle well. :read:

The reason the coil-overs are on the car are to optimize the suspension set-up. :idea:

FWIW

I don't have a set of scales but i have an industrial micrometer and adjust both sides to the same .001 inches

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
DSC00930.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I don't have a set of scales but i have an industrial micrometer and adjust both sides to the same .001 inches

That really doesn't tell you much, it also depends on how the rears are adjusted as well.

You can intentionally or unintentionally shift a considerable amount of weight on your car by adjusting the coil-over springs. Without a set of scales you're just guessing.

I'd call around and see what a shop charges. Tell them the approximate ride heights you want and they will take it from there. They can get the ride heights you want pretty close, just not exact. The balance of the weight on each tire is much more important than exact ride height.

FWIW

hawaiiancobra

Established Member
must use scales, no if ands or butts.
its fun to slam it and looks great, though it will scrape on everything in sight.
on mine 25.75" from center wheel well to ground is best to still clear ef'n speedbumps.
25" was too much scraping in the city

Last edited:

BlownVenom01

Boost > NA
Established Member
well i have to take it somewhere to get alligned anyways, so I guess having them adjust it isn't too big of a deal

Users who are viewing this thread