Too hard to clean a car before posting for sale photos?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Is it really too hard to vacuum or clean a car before taking photos for your for sale ad?

I don't understand these people that post pictures looking like the car has not been vacuumed in 10 years and/or water/soda bottles, clothes & junk all over the car.

/rant

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
and those are the cars that you don't buy LOL ...unless they are really cheap, and you wanna make money

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It's all on how you look at it. You could be getting some free water bottles and clothes out of the deal! ;-)

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I don't think they care.

It's so much easier to sell a car that's spotless, I guess people don't realize that. The guy who bought my ST didn't even look at it before he said ok. He got out of his car, it was on the other side of the parking lot and said "You're asking $22k? That seems fair."

I had to ask him a few times to walk around the car and take it for a spin before we shook hands on it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I don't think they care.

It's so much easier to sell a car that's spotless, I guess people don't realize that. The guy who bought my ST didn't even look at it before he said ok. He got out of his car, it was on the other side of the parking lot and said "You're asking $22k? That seems fair."

I had to ask him a few times to walk around the car and take it for a spin before we shook hands on it.
I love those kinds of buyers. I normally know if I'm buying a used car within a couple moments of seeing it. Of course, I will still inspect & drive it first.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I've always been more wary of cars that are overtly cleaned. The whole concept of polishing a turd comes to mind.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I don't think they care.

The guy that bought my S4 handed me the cashiers check as soon as he pulled up. Asked him if he wanted to look it over or even drive it. Goes "oh yeah, guess I should", drove around the small lot once, came back grinning and wanted to finish the paperwork...the proceeded to talk my ear off for 15 minutes after the deal was done. Paid full asking without issue, so it was a fair trade, lol.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
The guy that bought my S4 handed me the cashiers check as soon as he pulled up. Asked him if he wanted to look it over or even drive it. Goes "oh yeah, guess I should", drove around the small lot once, came back grinning and wanted to finish the paperwork...the proceeded to talk my ear off for 15 minutes after the deal was done. Paid full asking without issue, so it was a fair trade, lol.
What’s your current vehicle?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've always been more wary of cars that are overtly cleaned. The whole concept of polishing a turd comes to mind.
I could understand that. I learned this from my old boss who always kept his cars painfully clean.

It's obviously been a few years but in the 20 or so cars he had sold when I knew him, he had never been offered under asking price when someone looked at his car.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
I could understand that. I learned this from my old boss who always kept his cars painfully clean.

It's obviously been a few years but in the 20 or so cars he had sold when I knew him, he had never been offered under asking price when someone looked at his car.
This is true, you have to consider the source.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Depends on vehicle.

A fully detailed 92 Taurus, yeah there's some red flags. However a clean truck, newer vehicle is expected. It throws me off when they're filthy, or my favorite thing is the heavy cologne/perfume to cover obvious smoke smell.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Sold a 1990'Thunderbird SC several years ago. I had it for 6 months. Neat car but it gave me nothing but problems. I got tired of fixing them and decided to sell it. Cleaned it all up and asked what I had in it. Zero interest for 2 weeks. Then I get one call about it from a local guy. He came to look at it and bought it. Didn't even SIT in it. I asked if he wanted to drive it and he said no. I was so happy when that car was gone.

Blown 89

Established Member
I'm trying to buy a car for my wife and am getting frustrated by this as well. I expect personal parties to be lazy but the dealerships are just as bad. I saw one on a dealer site that looked like it was pulled out of a swamp.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Guy that bought my 5.0 didnt even test drive it. Car was dirty af, but my brother convinced me to give it a quick wash. I think i was looking at it as the first tire kicker to look at my car. LOL, first guy to look at it bought it!

Users who are viewing this thread