Tons of Suspension Mods Review

Bionik_P

Established Member
Well I was tired of the wheel hop in my vert and I didn't want to see which bushing worked and which one wouldn't, so I did everything at once. I had extremely bad wheel hop in my vert....I would hop in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd at the track. Here's the list of parts I had installed:

-AC427Cobra's IRS bushing kit
-MM rear swaybar endlinks
-MM rear swarbar bushings (AC427Cobra might be working on these too)
-MM adjustable tie rod endlinks
-Billetflow IRS brace
-H&R Race Springs
-MM poly ISOs
-Bilstein sport valved shocks/struts
-MM caster/camber plates
-Custom tubular full length subframe connectors
-Hoosier DRs mounted on my extra set of Cobra wheels for the track
-Nitto 555s for to replace the crap F1s

Ok now onto impressions of all the pieces....all the MM stuff was top notch, there are no complaints from me on that. AC427Cobra's bushing set is outstanding! Every piece in this kit is perfect. Not only was the kit perfect, but AC427Cobra also answered all of my really stupid newbie questions in sometimes less than a day. I recommend his kit to anyone that is looking for another option to the MM kit. I'm not knocking the MM bushing kit one bit, but AC427Cobra's kit is slightly cheaper and just as high quality as the MM products I've seen.

So after I had everything installed, had the car properly aligned, and had all of my tires road force balanced, I am finally happy with how my car feels.

Impressions of driving on the highway and backroads:
The car feels so much more solid that before. It feels like everything is just one big piece of metal. The car is extremely smooth and doesn't feel "loose" like it felt before. The car stays flat in the turns and makes you feel more confident in the turns. The downsides are that you definitely will feel every bump in the road more. It's not bad, but you definitely notice bumps in the road more. You will also notice more NVH in the cabin. It's not a lot, but it is noticeable. I just turn on my radio in the car and that takes care of most, if not all of the NVH in the cabin. Launching the car on the street is amazing. I get only slight wheel hop if any in just first. Every other gear is solid and tight.

Impressions at the track:
Keep in mind that my vert is a daily driver that I try to take to the track as much as possible. When I go to the track I throw on the Hoosiers. At the track is where you really get an appreciation for all the mods. I get no wheel hop what so ever. The car feels solid and rigid and doesn't feel sloppy leaving the line anymore. My biggest gripe is just getting used to launching a Cobra that actually catches and goes!

Overall I'm glad I did all of these mods at once. I can't tell you if one helped more than the other. I think all of them helped in their own way and is the reason I enjoy driving my Cobra so much more....especially at the track!

If anyone has any questions just ask away!

mrose75

Established Member
Glad it fixed all your problems. Wish we could tell what mod did what, but nice write up!!! :beer:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yeah but the main thing is you said it still has a little hop in first!!! I'd be freaking pissed to no end if I was you! All that and still hop. Why won't any of the suspension companies fix this crap! There's no telling how many kits they would sell and for what price!!

Bionik_P

Established Member
To tell you the truth, the wheel hop was on the old crappy street tires. And if you see what I said about the impressions at the track....I get no wheel hop what so ever. I am completely satisfied with having a little hop on the street, as long as it doesn't hop on the track.....that's where I'm really pushing the car.

As far as what mod did what......the way I figured it, I didn't want to experiment to see what bushing or suspension piece would help me the most so I just went with them all! Now all I have to worry about is my halfshafts!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
posi said:
Yeah but the main thing is you said it still has a little hop in first!!! I'd be freaking pissed to no end if I was you! All that and still hop. Why won't any of the suspension companies fix this crap! There's no telling how many kits they would sell and for what price!!

Believe it or not, your typical street tire is quite hard and offers very little grip. Therefore it is obviously prone to some oscillation between traction and grip. The nemesis of the IRS. Even a stick axle for that matter.

Some guys think the stick axle is the be all, end all of axle hop. NOTHING could be further from the truth. You couldn't make me put a stick axle in my track car if you put a gun to my head! :loser: I'd rather take up golf! And there is No Doubt, I HATE golf!! :fart: ;-) :lol:

The IRS is an awesome suspension component. It just suffers horrifically in the state it is delivered from the factory. It's extremely compromised as it comes from Ford.

I have to question all of the people that are so happy with the move to a stick axle. If you have 550 or more RWHP, and you go to the dragstrip (NOT the road racing track) 10 or more times a year, then you MIGHT be a candidate for a stick axle. Emphasis on the word might!

If you've never broken a factory halfshaft AND you have replaced ALL of the rubber in your diff mounts, control arm bushings and subframe mounts, you don't need to spend whatever the hell it is for those level 5 halfshafts!!! :idea: :read: It's a total and complete waste of money and effort to replace them IMHO! Save your money for something fun like alcohol and hot women! :pepper:

Over and out!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
AC Cobra and Bionik: :thumbsup: I couldn't agree more with your thoughts/observations. Exactly what I have experienced as well.

mrose75

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Save your money for something fun like alcohol and hot women! :pepper:

Over and out!

Well, screw this!!! I'm going to go get drunk and laid, cause he said so!!!!:banana: :pepper:

S.V.T.

'schitty wok'
Established Member
that's a really great write up. i appreciate that you put a lot of hard work and money into solving a major problem.
i would like to mention that my friend who has an '03 coupe was able to cure all wheel hop with m/t et streets (drag) on street/ track with these inflatable airbags from laurelmountainmustang.com - they're $60 bucks and you run the air lines (can be filled just like your tires) to the trunk.. after finding the right psi to street and track at, they worked perfectly for him.. he had eibach springs, those bags, and a bf irs brace.
great job!

Bionik_P

Established Member
Yeah, I agree...every car is going to be different. I have a good friend down the street from me running 600+hp and 600+ft/lbs and running consistent 10.s at the track all day long. His only suspension mods are the IRS brace, cut springs, gears, and slicks. Other than that, he has no wheel hop what so ever. I know I had an extreme case so I wanted to address all the issues at once.

As an update to my slight wheel hop on the street in first gear.....that is no longer an issue! I had my rear wheels road force balanced and now all I have now are two patches of burnt rubber behind me! :pepper:

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
posi said:
I'd be freaking pissed to no end if I was you! All that and still hop. Why won't any of the suspension companies fix this crap! There's no telling how many kits they would sell and for what price!!

+1 , after all that. I got rid of my hop with $75 air bags and 30 minutes of my time.
I can roast my stock F1 and no more hopity hop

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flad said:
+1 , after all that. I got rid of my hop with $75 air bags and 30 minutes of my time.
I can roast my stock F1 and no more hopity hop

Well, to give you a little history on the "Complete Delrin, Aluminum and UHMW Bushing Kit" curing wheel hop was only one of the side benefits of the kit. :read:

The kit was originally designed because a factory Cobra IRS struggles going around a corner. Now some of you may not know or realize this but the IRS in your car can really be improved upon. It would be difficult at best to pass Porsche's and Z06's with a factory delivered IRS. With the g-forces a car sees while road racing, the rear tires definitely do not stay pointed in the most efficient direction to get through a turn on the track. If your tires are not held firmly, you will not be able to control the direction they roll. With rubber bushings, (in the control arms and subframe) your tires are capable of pointing in directions that are inefficient for getting your car through a corner.

Once this kit is installed you will feel an immediate improvement in launches, handling through on and off ramps, your favorite curvy roads and race tracks. Oh, and as a side benefit, no more wheel hop.

I'm very happy a $75.00 air bag cured your hop, but some of us are looking for a LOT more out of our IRS's.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Well, to give you a little history on the "Complete Delrin, Aluminum and UHMW Bushing Kit" curing wheel hop was only one of the side benefits of the kit. :read:

The kit was originally designed because a factory Cobra IRS struggles going around a corner. Now some of you may not know or realize this but the IRS in your car can really be improved upon. It would be difficult at best to pass Porsche's and Z06's with a factory delivered IRS. With the g-forces a car sees while road racing, the rear tires definitely do not stay pointed in the most efficient direction to get through a turn on the track. If your tires are not held firmly, you will not be able to control the direction they roll. With rubber bushings, (in the control arms and subframe) your tires are capable of pointing in directions that are inefficient for getting your car through a corner.

Once this kit is installed you will feel an immediate improvement in launches, handling through on and off ramps, your favorite curvy roads and race tracks. Oh, and as a side benefit, no more wheel hop.

I'm very happy a $75.00 air bag cured your hop, but some of us are looking for a LOT more out of our IRS's.

ac427, per the OP, (Well I was tired of the wheel hop in my vert and I didn't want to see which bushing worked and which one wouldn't, so I did everything at once. I had extremely bad wheel hop in my vert....I would hop in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd at the track. Here's the list of parts I had installed:)

I was addressing this statement nothing more nothing less, not bashing or demeaning your bushings or any other manufactures product. Like the op, I too suffered from the hop, and I also bought hundreds of $$ of parts, that are still sitting in my garage. I agree some owners are looking for a refined vehicle. I on the other hand bought this car for what it is old school simple Detroit engineering, reminds me of the cars I grew up with from the late 60 and 70 (unadulterated muscle), If I wanted a car that handles like a bimmer or benz, I sure as heck wouldn’t of bought this prehistoric platform.

Again I apologies If I came off a little strong, no harm meant

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flad said:
ac427, per the OP, (Well I was tired of the wheel hop in my vert and I didn't want to see which bushing worked and which one wouldn't, so I did everything at once. I had extremely bad wheel hop in my vert....I would hop in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd at the track. Here's the list of parts I had installed:)

I was addressing this statement nothing more nothing less, not bashing or demeaning your bushings or any other manufactures product. Like the op, I too suffered from the hop, and I also bought hundreds of $$ of parts, that are still sitting in my garage. I agree some owners are looking for a refined vehicle. I on the other hand bought this car for what it is old school simple Detroit engineering, reminds me of the cars I grew up with from the late 60 and 70 (unadulterated muscle), If I wanted a car that handles like a bimmer or benz, I sure as heck wouldn’t of bought this prehistoric platform.

Again I apologies If I came off a little strong, no harm meant

Hey, not a problem at all Man!! :thumbsup:

Everybody wants something different out of their vehicle. I suck at drag racing and could not care less if I ever did it again the rest of my life. But I totally understand why people drag race. It's cheap and accessible. That's it in a nut shell. But once you get tired of 12 second adrenalin rushes you can step up to 20, 30 and 40 minute adrenalin rushes. Even two and three hour adrenalin rushes if you feel so inclined!!

I just wanted to communicate what a "complete" IRS overhaul will do to a vehicle as opposed to a "one symptom" fix.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
ac427cobra... give me a couple months or so, and I will be ordering your bushings kit. I've been working on one thing at a time, and I've just about eliminated my wheel hop, but I still want to do the bushings for alot of the things you said it will do for the car.

nightstalker865

Established Member
goldeneagle_10 said:
ac427cobra... give me a couple months or so, and I will be ordering your bushings kit. I've been working on one thing at a time, and I've just about eliminated my wheel hop, but I still want to do the bushings for alot of the things you said it will do for the car.

Hey now you can't be buying suspension parts that I don't have yet!!!! J/K I have been wanting Bruces kit for awhile now. It's on my list just need the funds. I think it will really make a difference in the way the car feels for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread