Tomorrow is Dyno Day....!!!

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Friday at or around 11am we will begin the ordeal..We decieded to install a 160 tstat flush all the coolant system get her running cooler then stock.
Then we are going to strap her ass down to the dyno for a tune....
She maybe "sold", but only after tomorrow will I truely Deceide on what is going to happen...

Wish me Luck....

If i keep her were getting Gears installed, and searching for a 03 04 cobra IRS. I figure a stock 03 IRS should handle anything I would throw at it... NOTE ~~~ anything " I" would throw at it...

Guestimates???
04 Mach 1 motor
Long tubes
O/R x
SLP 1 Catback
JLT CAI
SCT 2 (Getting her tuned)
93 octane

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Curious, why the 160 tstat? A 180 tstat would *probably* be the better choice. If you are really worried about the engine running warm/hot, you should tune/re-program the cooling fans (low speed/high speed) to turn on earlier...

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
Im listening to the Crew at HPP..... Plus here in Texas where summer days will be 100+ Traffic blows and a BLACK COBRA dont mix..
I believe in HPP and feel they know what they are doing....

Oh you better believe it.... Im taking the Camera.. Hell its a first, and possible my last time with the cobra.... SO yea im recording everything

modmayhem88

Established Member
What kind of Dyno is it? Some will register more than others. I'm going to guess 320rwhp 320rwtq. Either way keep us posted!!! Make sure to post pics and dyno plots!!!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
you all are some low ballers...i was topping 330 rwhp/rwtq, and we all know mach 1 engines do a little better w/ the same bolt ons...plus i didn't have long tubes...i'd say closer to 340 rwhp, similar rwtq....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
160 thermostats are a bad idea. The car switches from open loop to closed loop at 160 degrees. You do not want to be in open loop when just cruising around.

your overheating problem is NOT the thermostat, unless its not opening.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
COBRA90GT said:
Curious, why the 160 tstat? A 180 tstat would *probably* be the better choice. If you are really worried about the engine running warm/hot, you should tune/re-program the cooling fans (low speed/high speed) to turn on earlier...

a 180 thermostat would be a MUCH better choice, as a matter of fact the 160 might keep the coolant temps too low and not allow the car to go into closed loop when it should.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
quadcammer said:
160 thermostats are a bad idea. The car switches from open loop to closed loop at 160 degrees. You do not want to be in open loop when just cruising around.

your overheating problem is NOT the thermostat, unless its not opening.

dang it! I didn't even read anything but the first post before replying and you've already beat me to it! ;-)

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
180 tstat it is then..... but the stocker is 192 and let the coolant temps reach 224 degree's, car hasnt had any more issues till "I" did my own coolant flush, and reinstall of everything..... Drove her hard yesterday and she was better then ever...

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Ive had a 160 tstat sitting in my garage for about a month, just never got around to installing it. I thought that with the hot wather here in florida it would be a good idea. Now im not so sure, What is this loop stuff and why is it not a good aidea for a daily driven car?

BTW: Sorry to jack your thread but im a little concerned about this.

viperbluelx

Sexton's Performance
Established Member
cobra2798 said:
Ive had a 160 tstat sitting in my garage for about a month, just never got around to installing it. I thought that with the hot wather here in florida it would be a good idea. Now im not so sure, What is this loop stuff and why is it not a good aidea for a daily driven car?

BTW: Sorry to jack your thread but im a little concerned about this.

Once the car reaches full operating temperature the computer will go into closed loop which means it will change the A/F at idle and part throttle based on feedback from the 02 sensor. Without closed loop gas mileage will suffer.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
open loop and closed loop defines how the car receives it's fueling. closed loop relies on the exygen sensors to tell the computer how rich/lean the mixture is. Open loop relies on fuel tables built in to the computer...it's what is used at WOT.

basically gas mileage and driveability would suffer.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
KGblack99cobra said:
180 tstat it is then..... but the stocker is 192 and let the coolant temps reach 224 degree's, car hasnt had any more issues till "I" did my own coolant flush, and reinstall of everything..... Drove her hard yesterday and she was better then ever...

dude, that is NOT a thermostat issue.

I have the stock 192 degree thermo, and even with a huge blower and huge intercooler blocking the radiator, I don't see over 200 degrees coolant temp.

you have some sort of other issue.

KGblack99cobra

Back N Black
Established Member
quadcammer said:

Well after everything I have done to the cars cooling system (STOCK as can be). What could be the problem then. New radiator, new tstat, new water pump. Check all wiring (Everything kicks on when it is suppose to), Throwing NO codes, Head gaskets are good (Had all that checked out). So in all honesty you can get aggervated and frustrated but if running a 180 tstat will keep the temps down, im going to do it....
Im glad to hear your monster of a car still has everything stock with all you have done... Mad props.....

HPP is recommending i drop the tstat to either a 160 or 180 (since i asked) just for PEACE OF MIND!!!!

Thanks for your recommendations,suggestions,advice...I truely have listened and address everything You Wise Ones have told me...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
quadcammer said:
dude, that is NOT a thermostat issue.

I have the stock 192 degree thermo, and even with a huge blower and huge intercooler blocking the radiator, I don't see over 200 degrees coolant temp.

This is correct. If you're seeing 220+ degrees F you've got an issue aside from the correct thermostat.

The only time my car gets above 88 degrees C is if it's idling in the heat without movement for long period of time (like waiting in pre-stage to go out on track). It will usually crest 95 degrees C in those situations but drops to 87 as soon as the radiator receives airflow or the fans kick on.

Best bet is to have the fans kick on at an earlier time.

Users who are viewing this thread