Tokico Illumina vs Drag Shock please help

Crusher9008

Established Member
OK well I have the Tokico 5 way adjustable drag shocks on my car and unfortunately during an alignment the ass hat used a hammer on the top which ruined the adjustable knob. I need to replace it and come to find out the RB3140 Tokico Adjustable drag shocks are discontinued.

My question is this. What is the difference if any between the BB3140 Illumina Tokico 5 way adjustable and the RB3140 Drag Shock 5 way adjustable?

Thanks for everyones input

SlowSVT

Established Member
Are you doing enough drag racing to warrant dedicated drag shocks? If not and the car sees the vast majority of road miles I would consider shocks more geared toward road racing. Typically drag shocks are valved for very little rebound damping in the front to get faster weight transfer to the rear and more compression damping in the rear to slam the tires into the pavement on a hard launch. The problem there is the damping bias of those shocks is not ideal for what the suspension will be managing on the road where it needs to be more balanced in both compression and rebound. The stock Bilstiens are actually valved pretty well and one of the few things that don't need to upgraded or you can consider a quality set of road race struts and shocks.

If you are running slicks, skinnies and gears then it would be drag shocks allllllllll the way!

I hope they fired ass hat :smmon:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Found this on another site:
Tokico Illumina 5-way Adjustable Sport Shocks
You can fine tune the handling of your Mustang with the Illumina 5-way adjustable gas-charged sport shocks. Adjustment is easily done using a small screwdriver without having to remove the strut or shock. The Illumina uses a special bypass/shutter valve system which provides simultaneous adjustment of both compression and rebound. The adjustable valving allows you to tune your shocks to match your spring rates as well as make small adjustments to optimize performance.

Tokico Drag Race Struts
These 5-way adjustable struts are designed for street/strip duty. They have much softer valving than the standard Illuminas. At the stiffest setting they are equivalent to the standard Illumina’s number 2 setting, which is similar to the Mustang’s original factory shock valving.​

Users who are viewing this thread