Tokico d spec thoughts

98ATLBlueCobra

Established Member
I already have a set of steeda ultra lite springs and I'm thinking about adding tokico d spec adjustable struts and shocks. I would love to have something that gives me the adjustability to soften up the ride on long trips but can stiffen when needed. I hate going down the interstate bobbing up and down. What are u guys thoughts on this combo?

stags

Established Member
I already have a set of steeda ultra lite springs and I'm thinking about adding tokico d spec adjustable struts and shocks. I would love to have something that gives me the adjustability to soften up the ride on long trips but can stiffen when needed. I hate going down the interstate bobbing up and down. What are u guys thoughts on this combo?

This is from my observation of what ever people have said, and not having owned D-specs or any other aftermarket shock/strut.

I have observed a few categories of people. 1) the group of people who changed their suspension and are happy with whatever they have because its way better than the loose stock suspension. 2) the group of people who bought suspension and continued tinkering.

Of group number 1 who got D-Specs and stopped, they are very happy so its not a bad setup.

Of group number 2 I have seen many people who had D Specs and then went to Koni Yellows and would never look back. Their only regret is not buying the yellows in the first place. What I hear is the valving in the yellows is much better than Tokiko, and as a result the ride is much more fluid, controlled, and comfortable.

Bottom line is Tokiko is a good part but many think Koni is better. If you want to talk to someone who is a suspension maniac and won a few AutoX championships with a mustang, call Sam Strano @ stranoparts.com. He can tell you very scientifically why Konis are better, and I am pretty sure he has had both on his cars. I plan to buy some steeda sports and yellows from him next month. Super nice and knowledgeable guy who will explain things at a infants level if he needs to.

Rct851

Established Member
I have bmr springs and tokico d specs... Bought them used for I feel a good price. If a good price pops up on yellows then I would think about it.

overall I'm happy with them though

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have d-spec with steeda sports and love em... They cost less then yellows and you don't have to wait for them to come in stock. Adjustability is excellent ...if you upgrade i advise you to get steeda heavy duty mounts they are far superior to the common gt-500 mounts...

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the d-specs with frpp K springs. With the d-specs on full soft the ride is decent but it's no Lincoln.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I have had both.

Koni all the way... It's a night and day diffrence between koni and tokico.

Don't get me wrong, tokico it great but koni blows them out of the water.

lovebread

Established Member
Ultralights, D Specs, MM Camber plates up front. Ride them pretty soft for normal use, tighten up for hillclimb/attack and soften the rear for drag.

Perfect all around suspension setup without breaking the bank.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I originally was in the market for Koni STR.t but came across a deal on the D-Specs and glad I went with them!
They are awesome although I don't adjust them probably as much as I should.

I recommend them/

TrackpackGT

Established Member
It sounds like the Konis are the way to go, neither is cheap, so if people have owned both swear by Konis, that's the answer IMO. D specs are no longer made from what I've been told. Lifetime warranty on Konis. If I'm spending $700 plus for shocks, I would want piece of mind. Especially when I'm thinking about replacing one month old shocks on a brand new car with 3 years of warranty left. I saw a link to the D specs for $580, which is a smoking deal. You'd need to get the GT500 mounts I believe since these are 05-10 shocks.

Last edited:

gripguru

Established Member
i have them on the rear of my car with the steeda coilover kit and i have no complaints about them. car now has 16000 miles and they have been fine. i have them set pretty stiff and they are amazing in the twisties.

Rct851

Established Member
I picked up my d-specs and gt500 mounts for $500 total on this forum last winter. If $580 was for d specs only then I'd go ahead and get yellows

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Tokico D Specs are great! My car isn't a daily but I like a firmer ride than most, Tokico's were great when paired with H&R Super Sports. Short of doing coilovers or air bags, you're not going to get a lower/better ride. just my .02

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I just worry the Konis will ride stiffer, I know they did on another car I had, even on soft. It seems there's also been threads and debates on the differences between the Tokico D's and Ford Racing adjustables made by Tokico.

Users who are viewing this thread