Tokico Blues and float feeling

marcoc

Established Member
Ok last winter I dropped the ear IRS and replaced worn parts, installed new Tokico shocks/struts, cut 1 coil off springs, installed a catless h-pipe, rebulit the rear diff., and serviced whatever needed attention. The ride is good its reduced fender gap and the ride got a bit stiffer. The car on any large dip on the road going 30+ mph floats and scrapes the mufflers and lower sway bar. Now I understand the Tokico Blues are basically an oem replacement shock/strut. I am not racing the car in any way just spirited driving and nice day romps. I spoke with Maximum Motorsports and they said its normal with a stock style shock/strut and coil that i have, this floating feeling on large dips. They also said a higher spring rate would make it worse, pretty much just deal or replace with bilstein, etc. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try. The H&R springs would be to high of a spring rate matched to my shock/strut setup sooooo anyone have any thoughts:shrug::shrug:. The rebound is on the "softer" side so maybe that is causing the floating feeling. Any opinions are appreciated.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I've heard the Tokico blues are sorta hit and miss when it comes to quality. I'd upgrade the shocks/struts if I were you. Even a low mileage set of Bilsteins off an 03/04 Cobra would be better than what you've got.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I think it is your springs more than shocks. I had stock shocks and aftermarket springs....I would bottom out over bumps.

I changed to Tokico Blues and noticed an improvement....I would switch to an aftermarket springs first and see if that improves it.

If not, pick-up some Bilsteins....

Always see springs and shocks for sale in Market section. I am not a fan of cut springs but I realize many people do it

marcoc

Established Member
I would rather replace springs due to shocks/struts are more expensive. Gotta find a lighter spring rate Coil. I heard Steeds makes one

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I would rather replace springs due to shocks/struts are more expensive. Gotta find a lighter spring rate Coil. I heard Steeds makes one

Aren't cut springs no longer a progressive spring? After market Progressives are softer initially then stiffen as the compression increases.

Also, used bilsteins are relatively cheap..try and find a low mileage set(s)

marcoc

Established Member
Just spent money on wheels. Too good of an offer to pass up so the Tokicos are staying on the car. Worried about spending money on a set of springs that if Maximum motorsports is right will make things worse need to find a happy medium

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Had tokico blues on my old mustang and they were absolute crap. Throw some Bilsteins on it and be done with the headaches and questions. MM Coilovers and MM bilstein sports now, zero complaints.

marcoc

Established Member
Coilovers are great but $$$$. I think my issue is the cut oem cobra coil springs, they give the lowered look and ride ok but are a temporary fix for the 4x4 look. I have been doing some research and for a mild road car the Tokicos are a good choice. Going to do the H&R sport springs some time this winter, they have a "softer" spring rate than the race springs and H&R seems to be a popular choice on Cobras. I will try the springs since they are progressive and see if it helps. if not in the future i will upgrade when the funds allow to bilsteins.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have cut 03 springs and take off Bilsteins and I don't have any floating feeling. It handles pretty good IMO. It was a temporary thing until I got coil overs. Starting 8 years ago.....

Users who are viewing this thread