TOB solution

ManNmachine

John 3:16
Established Member
I replaced the stock Throw-out bearing with the heavy duty one from Lethal, abo 500 miles later I upgraded 2.3 Whipple with 17lbs boost sitting at 602rwhp/557tq. Drove around for about 100 miles, now I am getting noise from the TOB again....any recommendations for upgrade

greengt88

Established Member
try one from ford. alot of people seem to have this same problem, from parts from the same place and after the same amount of mileage

cobracide

Established Member
I replaced the stock Throw-out bearing with the heavy duty one from Lethal, abo 500 miles later I upgraded 2.3 Whipple with 17lbs boost sitting at 602rwhp/557tq. Drove around for about 100 miles, now I am getting noise from the TOB again....any recommendations for upgrade

Is that the ford racing heavy duty bearing?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I hear ya man...my 1st ford HD TOB was a dud...it was goner after 2 days...I still have it sitting here on my tuner believes it was bad from the get go...Put a new HD Ford Racing one in...all is well, knock on wood

metaman

Established Member
If it went that fast, the clutch cable was adjusted to tight and the TOB was riding on the pressure plate with the clutch pedal out. Either that or you are riding the clutch pedal. I learned about this the hard way also. The improperly adjusted cable that is.

SlowSVT

Established Member
If it went that fast, the clutch cable was adjusted to tight and the TOB was riding on the pressure plate with the clutch pedal out. Either that or you are riding the clutch pedal. I learned about this the hard way also. The improperly adjusted cable that is.

I think the TOB design does not allow for a robust bearing. They probably had to compromise that to allow for the self alignment feature. Most TOB's I've seen employ a huge roller thrust bearing and a fat oil seal (I can't even see whether the Ford TOB even has one). There must be a spherical bearing arrangement that is not ideal to take-up thrust loads.

I recall seeing a Ford technical publication on checking the block-to-tranny centerline alignment to ensure they were true. It was soo involved it made my head spin. I guess this could be an issue with any engine but it makes one wonder why Ford felt they needed a self alignment feature in the first place :dw:

metaman

Established Member
I just got 30k out of a ford racing TOB, they are fine. You just have to make sure that it is not sitting there spinning and heating up when it is not supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread