TOB retainer tube TSB, what part did Ford use?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Had some noise from my tranny shortly after buying my Cobra new; they replaced the entire clutch assembly and the TOB guide tube retainer under warranty. (TSB 04-13-4). So now 40k later I need to replace my TOB, I'll be using the FRPP HD version. Anybody know which tube Ford used when doing the TSB replacement- McLeod, Lethal, or ? Just wondering if I need to have one on hand when I pull the tranny. (in case they used the stock Ford part and it's weak sauce.)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought at that time they didn't have a replacement and put in a whole new tranny? Could be wrong, either way I'd order up a lethal one just in case. It's made by Mcleod.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Had some noise from my tranny shortly after buying my Cobra new; they replaced the entire clutch assembly and the TOB guide tube retainer under warranty. (TSB 04-13-4). So now 40k later I need to replace my TOB, I'll be using the FRPP HD version. Anybody know which tube Ford used when doing the TSB replacement- McLeod, Lethal, or ? Just wondering if I need to have one on hand when I pull the tranny. (in case they used the stock Ford part and it's weak sauce.)

That TSB wasn't for a replacement of just the TOB retainer tube, it is for the entire front plate, which includes the tube.

The part number is in the TSB, 3R3Z-7005-AA:

3R3Z-7005-AA.jpg

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Thanks for the pic. I couldn't find any more details except guys who said their guide tube was replaced with "the steel one instead of the original aluminum one". So I'm hoping I have the forged McLeod unit in there; it shouldn't need replacing. (My TSB work was done in February 2007).

Last edited:

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Finished replacing the TOB today, stock clutch (40k miles) still seems fine so I left it alone for now. I checked the TOB guide tube with a magnet, it was magnetic so it's definitely steel not the weaker aluminum.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Finished replacing the TOB today, stock clutch (40k miles) still seems fine so I left it alone for now. I checked the TOB guide tube with a magnet, it was magnetic so it's definitely steel not the weaker aluminum.

So it was the TOB making noise? Can you describe the sound and did it only happen with the clutch pedal pushed in or released? I have a major metallic rattling sound. I'm replacing pretty much everything, clutch, flywheel, tob, pilot bearing, tob sleeve, 26 spline input shaft.

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Mine was a continuous metallic squeal that I could sometimes hear at idle when the clutch pedal was all the way up. Just barely touching the clutch pedal would stop it. Initially it kind of sounded like a "chirp". Lots of threads on here said that would be the TOB gong bad, so I replaced mine. Your rattle sounds more like the sleeve, so definitely have one on hand when you do the clutch replacement. Get the one from Lethal, it's a better quality steel unit that is tougher than the factory aluminum one.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks guys.

We've got plenty in stock and it's definitely an upgrade worth the money. The sleeve, input shaft and the Ford Racing HD Bearing are among the best upgrades to help beef up the weak points of the T-56.

Give us a call if you have any questions or want to pick a few of these items up. All in stock, ready to ship out today. Don't forget to mention your member discount as well.

Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve [LP-T56TOBSLEEVE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
LP-T56TOBSLEEVE_MED.jpg

Ford Racing 96-04 Heavy Duty Throw Out Bearing [M-7548-A] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
M-7548-A_MED.jpg

Liberty Gear 26 Spline Input Shaft for T-56 [LG-26SPLINE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
LG-26SPLINE_MED.jpg

Thanks

John

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Mine was a continuous metallic squeal that I could sometimes hear at idle when the clutch pedal was all the way up. Just barely touching the clutch pedal would stop it. Initially it kind of sounded like a "chirp". Lots of threads on here said that would be the TOB gong bad, so I replaced mine. Your rattle sounds more like the sleeve, so definitely have one on hand when you do the clutch replacement. Get the one from Lethal, it's a better quality steel unit that is tougher than the factory aluminum one.

Ok thats what I was kind of thinking, I do already have one of lethals TOB sleeves to go along with the rest of the parts. Mine is pretty much a constant metal rattling sound. It started out as a light periodical rattling sound, but after a hard 1st to 2nd gear shift it became constant! I really want to dig into it, but it's still in winter storage.

Users who are viewing this thread