TOB question/problem.......MAYBE??????

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
I've notice a whine in the transmission since day one. In the inside of the car....(before the stingers)....I could hear a whine thought the shifter. To me, it sounds more like a bearing....rather then a bad TOB. My bros 94 Cobra has a bad TOB...it sounds like a chirping bird....and I don't hear my noise at idle, only when you rev the motor....but it goes away at higher (above 2500-3000) rpms. The clutch pedal doesn't shudder....and everything is smooth as glass......what do you uys think? The car has 800 miles on it!

Coiled03

Established Member
Nope....that's not a TOB. It's gear whine that's inherent to the tranny in these cars.

Nicky Pass

Established Member
I know the TOB chirps at idle....this doesn't happen....only when the motor is reved.

Coiled03

Established Member
Well, it's more your description of the noise I was focused on. TOBs don't whine, they chirp, as you've said. Engine speed doesn't really matter. I just had a TOB replaced that wouldn't chirp until about 2200 RPM. On the other hand, I haven't been in a car with a Tremec that DIDN'T whine, so I'm pretty sure it's normal.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Coiled03
Nope....that's not a TOB. It's gear whine that's inherent to the tranny in these cars.

Yep. Some more than others, but I had 3 transmissions in my 03 Cobra and all of them whined.

Nicky Pass

Established Member
Thats good.....I think.

So a TOB can go bad...and you don't hear it at idle? Like I said....my bros 94 Cobra's TOB is loud at idle....and it obviously gets quieter as the RPMS get higher. My noise isn't a squeek or chirp...its like a bearing whine.

Coiled03

Established Member
Absolutely it can go bad, and be quiet at idle. Like I said, that's how mine was. But considering you don't have any pedal vibration, or stifness, it's almost guranteed to be normal gear whine.

Nicky Pass

Established Member
I guess I'll keep an eye on it. I even parked the two cars next to each other in the garage......man...a bad TOB is HORRIBLE in the garage....I could barley hear my whine....I only notice it after I drive for a while. I also had the re-flash done on my car on Saturday:

So far... I've
Had both front windows replaced
The hood repainted
The re-flash
Had the radiator hose clamp break and leak all over the place

...i've only had it 3 months with 800 miles on it....for a $40K car...I'd expect a little better.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Does it go away when you put just a little bit of pressure on the clutch? This keeps the input shaft engaged but places pressure on the TOB. If the sound goes away when you do this it is the TOB.

Nicky Pass

Established Member
Its a very faint noise.....it does it sfter driving for a while....and its not at idle....more like above 2000 rpms. Its a whine/whir noise.....not a chirp or belt squeel.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Annoying but normal. I don't even notice the trans noise any more.

I am on my 3rd TOB so I know the difference in sounds. My first TOB chirped when the car was in idle with the clutch out. A little pressure on the pedal would make it stop. My 2nd TOB did that and also would squeal at times if the pedal was depressed. I got in the habit of putting it in neutral at every opportunity because the squeal was annoyingly loud and somewhat embarrassing. Think cricket and you will know the TOB sound.

Jr Mint

Established Member
Nick mine does the EXACT same thing.....its a normal noise....youve had that much replaced?? wow.....that is sad to hear.....when we goin cruisin?:)

toby

WOW, never seen a white vert with that color top. That's sweet!!! and maybe rare? or a white vert for that matter

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicky Pass

Established Member
UPDATE:
After driving the car for 25 miles....I faintly hear the noise (you have to open the door and put your head by the lower rocker panel to even hear it)....you can't hear it when a car or truck is next to you....it stays the same with the clutch in or out....it sounds like a whining bearing.....there is no noise at idle.....so I guess its just a noisey T-56. Am I being paranoid?

Users who are viewing this thread