TOB? Or worse?

Longtubes

Established Member
Cars chirped off and on for a year now, never got it fixed. Adjusted the clutch and it stopped for awhile pretty good. The other day it started up, this time realllll bad. I tried adjusting the clutch today to no avail, screams like a high pitched mofo and now the car literally dies at idle. Clutch doesnt feel like it's going completely to the floor and not able to change gears 9 times out of 10 now. Is this the throw out bearing? High pitched squeel like ear bleed style and thrashing sound under middle of car up toward front end.

Last edited:

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Sounds like you need to stop trying to drive it like this and tow it to a transmission shop. The original chirping sounded like the TOB was getting bad. It now sounds like the TOB is trashed and is reeking havoc in your transmission. My buddy had something similar happen to the t-56 in his 03 cobra. In the end, he had to buy a new transmission. If your car won't go into gear 9/10 times, the transmission is done.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
^^^What he said. The TOB was already passed its use-able life once it started making noise the first time. Now it probably broke into pieces and destroying everything else.

Longtubes

Established Member
^^^What he said. The TOB was already passed its use-able life once it started making noise the first time. Now it probably broke into pieces and destroying everything else.

Every site I've read on TOB's says the same thing, the car won't go into gears and screeches incredible when it finally is close to or does break. I didn't drive it like this I drove it home and parked it, then it started doing this. I've never really beat up on this car by quick shifting or power shifting and the clutch was put in new last summer. When the cars off and I can get the pedal down the shifter does go through the gears.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Did you replace the TOB when you had the clutch replaced last summer? If so, was it a Ford TOB or aftermarket?

Longtubes

Established Member
Did you replace the TOB when you had the clutch replaced last summer? If so, was it a Ford TOB or aftermarket?

No clue, he just said new clutch. Definitely felt like a new one up til this point. But my guess is he either installed the TOB half assed or used whatever cheapie came packaged with it. I'm hoping the new FRPP one doesn't do this.

BTW, should I have the guy do the pilot bearing too when hes doing the TOB or will that be a huge extra price wise?

Stang Lover

Established Member
I would replace the pilot bearing just for that piece of mind. The times we've replaced my bros trans and clutch we used a new pilot and TB everytime. We replaced the clutch fork and pivot ball once and that might be a good idea also since everything is gonna be out.

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Yeah I always replace the TOB and Pilot bearings anytime I replace my clutch. Best way to go is OEM when it comes to the clutches in our cars. Ford Racing TOB, pilot bearing, clutch cable, and then the clutch of your choice. I like McLeod clutches. Aftermarket TOB's have ALWAYS burned up after around 1,500 miles in my car. It's extremely frustrating.

bobby_0081

Established Member
The answer appears to be both... The TOB and worse. I will explain. My sister-n-law had the same experience with the chirping TOB and then one day it became a growl. I pulled the trans and put a new TOB in for her because hers came out in pieces. One day after the growl started the race of the bearing had almost seized to the sleeve and it took a punch to remove the race and then I polished it up with some 600 grit wet/dry sand paper and put it back together. It may be too late in your case if you have driven it too far or driven it too much. Hope you get it all figured out.

Longtubes

Established Member
Got the car done. Drumroll..........TOB. Replaced the TOB and the Pilot Bearing, clutch feels so damn smooth. No noise either. And Tranny is perfectly fine. :pop:

Longtubes

Established Member
Lucked out on that one..congrats, usually it at least tears up the front collar.

Front collar? It took about 4 1/2 hours to do. I'm not sure if anything was torn up but the thing is smooth as butter now *knock on wood* with just a new TOB and PB.

Users who are viewing this thread