TOB going out again...WTF?!?

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
First time was at 9K miles, now again at 21k miles. So I am averaging 10k miles between this failure each time. Is this something that is going to continue to happen every 10k miles?!? What a POS! Read there was a TSB out for this, but no recall. Has anybody had this happen repeatedly? Any present/past Ford technicians that can shed some light on this situation? Its sh!t like this that is keeping me from modding the car any more than I have. I can't do anything that I can't undo 'cause I keep having to take it to the dealership to have warranty work done. Are there any upgraded TOB's I can use? From another car perhaps? Is there no aftermarket support for this problem? At least at this rate I'll be able to lemon law the car if it pisses me off too much. Don't want to do it but I refuse to own a car that has continual repeated breakage of this nature. The last tally on this repair was over $3k. They had to order a whole new tranny 'cause there was no separate part # for the TOB. Only came on new trannys. I think that has been changed now, but still...I don't want to go through this every year. :shrug:

trendkilllx

Established Member
I had 4 TOBs replaced and finally with 2 months left on warranty they replace the entire clutch assembly and problem seems gone. I received a different pressure plate which I think made the difference. The plate feels much different, easier to push in and more travel before starting to engage. A lot of people with the original 03 plates are having TOBs go out. They replaced the flywheel, plate, clutch disk, TOB, pilot bearing all under warranty, as well as the TOB sleeve upgrade. If it is getting close to end of warranty I would try to get all of the same replaced as in many cases there is something causing the bearing to go out, not a faulty bearing.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Last time I got a new tranny, TOB, clutch and pressure plate. But this was before the TSB and the revised parts weren't out yet. I have been doing some research on here and it seems I should get it resolved this time (with the upgraded parts)...hopefully. It is not making the noise consistently yet. If I bring it in now they may not do anything until it makes some noise for them. Right now I am waiting for it to act up more frequently so that they can experience it while I am there. Damn, 4 times huh? Were any of those after the TSB and newer parts came out? Or do you think it was primarily the pressure plate?

trendkilllx

Established Member
The new retainer sleeve did not make a difference as I had it replaced after 2 TOBs went out since the original alum retainer broke. I had heard that uneven pressure from the plate could cause bearing failure. The best guess is the pressure plate as I noticed the later 04s do not seem to have the problem around here. I also have a friend with an 03 about the same miles as mine and he had the same thing happen with TOBs. It has been 12k since they changed his flywheel, revised pressure plate and clutch assembly and he has not had any problems. Anyhow car goes off of warranty next month (3 years) so hoping it is fixed.

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is is fixed for good this time. Otherwise I will be going to the aftermarket for upgrades. I have read about a Centerforce? "DFX setup" that supposedly cures this factory problem, but I don't know what that is or what parts are replaced. Can you shed some light on this for me? Ever heard of it?

trendkilllx

Established Member
yes I was thinking of going with the DFX setup and changed the input shaft to a 26 spline as some have done but did not have the money. Supposed to be strong and streetable (no chatter). I think they make a 10 spline disk now as well so you do not have to change the input shaft but it could break if you launch with drag radials. You would get a pressure plate, TOB and clutch disk with the kit. If you plan on running at a track with drag radials probably the way to go. Have not heard any problems with TOBs when people upgrade to aftermarket stuff so that is an option. I would also change the flywheel as well which I think is around 300 since it is alum. If you go with a spec do not use their TOB as have heard of people having problems.

Last edited:

Badgts

Ferrari Slayer
Established Member
Okay. Thanks for the info, man. I will keep that in mind should the need arise again. Do you think changing the flywheel is necessary? I'll have it looked at when I get the repair done. If it needs a new one now I will just get them to give me another stock one. But if that is part of the problem too then I might get the spec one with the DFX if I end up going that route. Thanks again. :beer:

trendkilllx

Established Member
They replaced my flywheel as it had some hot spots on it. If you do not replace it you should get it resurfaced otherwise there is a good chance you will get clutch chatter (when the clutch engages there is vibration). Some say that you should not resurface the alum flywheels. The stock ones' are pretty good so would be good if you could get one of those.

Users who are viewing this thread