toasted trans?

grant007

Established Member
okay say you are just going through the gears, not racing but heavy then normal,, and everytime you go for a quick 3rd it grinds.. toast? no N20,no real mods.. what are the options. replace,rebuild ?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
grant007 said:
should i just get a 03-04 3650-used?

The '03/'04 Cobra transmission is a T56 six speed which is completely different than that of the '01 Cobra. It is a direct swap ( mostly ) but it will cost you in the neighborhood of $1800 if you install it yourself. If you need a new transmission you might be able to find a T5 or T45 for about half that or less. Both are also direct swaps and very reliable.

The issue you describe however is part and parcel to life w/ the T3650 transmission. It has a number of known issues not the least of which is shifter grind. If you do a search in this forum on the 3650 you will find volumes of info on the various problems w/ that tranny and the various things that people have done to make it more liveable short of replacing ( although that is a popular alternative ).

Most of the solutions revolve around changing the transmission fluid to a good synthetic such as Red Line, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Synchromesh, etc. Only fill the tranmission to 3.1l! This seems to be the biggest issue that essentially the factory fill level was too high and contributed to the shifter grind significantly. There is a TSB on the 3650 that outlines all of these issues.

Good luck! :read:

grant007

Established Member
thanks i was meaning 03-04 3650's... say a mach or gt..i tested today.. all the other gears will shift fine.. 3rd anywhere above 2k it will grind .. is this a syncros or fluid level..im droping it off at the dealership.. way out of warrenty @ 70k.. plus im not sure if the fluid has ever been changed..i got it at 36k.
thanks for the help. hope its a simple thing..

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
grant007 said:
thanks i was meaning 03-04 3650's... say a mach or gt..i tested today.. all the other gears will shift fine.. 3rd anywhere above 2k it will grind .. is this a syncros or fluid level..im droping it off at the dealership.. way out of warrenty @ 70k.. plus im not sure if the fluid has ever been changed..i got it at 36k.
thanks for the help. hope its a simple thing..

I would say if your going to r/r the transmission don't bother w/ another 3650 since it's considered a problem child across the board. If it comes to that I'd say switch to something that's proven more reliable like the T45, T5 or T56.

The dealership may not be of much help. They may tell you about the TSB on that transmission but since it's not under warranty anymore you'll have to come out of pocket for the cost which I hear is $800 in parts + about 5 hrs for labor.

The best thing is to do the simple stuff first. Change the tranny fluid like recomended and possibly look at clutch quadrant/fire wall adjuster set up.

Users who are viewing this thread