To you Americans

Lightning Steve

Established Member
A big thank you!
Just got back from vacation in Vegas (near there anyway), was my Ma's 70th. Had a great time as usual but I am always blown away by just how nice and friendly most of the people I run into are. From the staff at restaurants, a Wal-Mart (weird eh?) to just people on the street or in stores everyone we ran into was super nice. Have always found this to be true but it still amazes me everytime.
We got back to Detroit and picked up our car and stopped for gas. At the gas station we where reading the signs on the pumps figuring out the cash, credit, pay before or after etc. when some guy at the pump on the other side said "use your tag it's 5 cents a gallon off". Explained we were on our way home and from Ontario and he says "here use mine and hands us his keys", what a nice thing to do! Just wanted to say thanks to the friendliest nation on earth, you guys (and gals) are great!:beer:

Also saw a good one at this gas station, right across from it was one of those "no tell motels". While I was pumping the gas could hear this womp, womp, womp, at first didn't look up thinking it was the maid bangin out a mat or something. Then realized she was putting some real effort into it so look over and it wasn't the maid. In the motel parking lot some women with a tire iron was swinging for all she was worth at the windows on this Caddy, she got done walked over to her car got in and calmly drove off. At the room window in front of the Caddy you could see the curtains move aside and some dude peeking out. Some body done got caught where they weren't suppose to be!:nono:

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
Ever been to the deep south of Alabama?? :) I think its a 50/50 between nice and assholes. Should of sticked around for couple more weeks then see how you feel. Not to flame you, but glad you like America.... EH!

PSI87

Banned
Wishing4Cobra said:
Ever been to the deep south of Alabama?? :) I think its a 50/50 between nice and assholes. Should of sticked around for couple more weeks then see how you feel. Not to flame you, but glad you like America.... EH!
He did go to Wal-Mart, usually frequented by America's finer demographic.

UCBeau

i find the people in NYC to be perfectly fine. unless you've been there, stfu about it. if you have a thin skin, too ****ing bad. get over it and grow a pair. generally speaking, americans really are some of the friendliest people in the world, we're just a nation of morons and that's the problem.

Lightning Steve

Established Member
LOL, ya I know not everyone is like that but there is still more good than bad. About the only States haven't been to is Texas and Utah, have lived in Pa and Hawaii and spent lots of time in Maine.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
I was in Minneapolis in 2000 for 10 days and only encountered one ass. Everyone else from shop assistants to a grandma at her front fence (waiting for grandkids to come home from school and talked to me for 30min!) were really nice.

Had to get used to saying hello to people as I walked by them in the street which was awesome for such a large city (I grew up in a small town where everone said hi).

The most memorable general "people" experience though was in the Mall of America. Over here you are constantly dodging people when walking through the mall but over there it was like everone had their own pre-programed path - didn't get bumped into once in 4 hours... Maybe I just look scary :)

I'm sure having the Aussie accent helped when talking with people as Steve Irwin had just started making a big impact over there so Aussies had come back into fashion, but I definitely hold very cool memories of the "normal" Americans (as opposed to most of the, ahem, interesting ones that travel to Oz).

Oh, and the other thing that impressed me was that it didn't matter what country or heritage the person had, they all spoke English very well (as opposed to Oz where country of origin is more important than country of adoption) and as Lightening Steve said, people just went out of their way to be helpful.

Oz :thumbsup:

torquemonster

Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
i find the people in NYC to be perfectly fine. unless you've been there, stfu about it. if you have a thin skin, too ****ing bad. get over it and grow a pair. generally speaking, americans really are some of the friendliest people in the world, we're just a nation of morons and that's the problem.

Ive been to nyc, and i thought the people are very rude, but it doesnt bother me for some reason, i love the city....

EnglishAdam

Established Member
I lived in the US for 18 months (Houston) and traveled extensively when I was there.
We (+wife & kids) also vacation there every year.
I've always found just about everybody I encounter to be friendly.
I dunno, maybe I'm comparing it to Europe but I've just never had a problem.

Maybe it's the "Austin Powers" type accent :-D

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Yeah Baby!

Majority of Americans are very friendly. Unfortunately all the assholes get the attention, media or otherwise. Ala Hilton, Anna Nicole, Jesse, etc .....

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Visit Florida next time. If you can survive the gauntlet that is the elderly and illegal immigrant drivers, you'll have a great time.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
PSI87 said:
Interesting you got that impression of the states. Visit Chicago or NYC next time and see how friendly people are lol.
New Pork. People don't look at your face. Very uptight folks. Maybe it's the Coffee.:shrug:
In general most Americans are very nice people. Just like everywhere in the world you will find aholes.

SVTContique

Lightning Steve said:
A big thank you!
Just got back from vacation in Vegas (near there anyway), was my Ma's 70th. Had a great time as usual but I am always blown away by just how nice and friendly most of the people I run into are. From the staff at restaurants, a Wal-Mart (weird eh?) to just people on the street or in stores everyone we ran into was super nice. Have always found this to be true but it still amazes me everytime.
We got back to Detroit and picked up our car and stopped for gas. At the gas station we where reading the signs on the pumps figuring out the cash, credit, pay before or after etc. when some guy at the pump on the other side said "use your tag it's 5 cents a gallon off". Explained we were on our way home and from Ontario and he says "here use mine and hands us his keys", what a nice thing to do! Just wanted to say thanks to the friendliest nation on earth, you guys (and gals) are great!:beer:

Also saw a good one at this gas station, right across from it was one of those "no tell motels". While I was pumping the gas could hear this womp, womp, womp, at first didn't look up thinking it was the maid bangin out a mat or something. Then realized she was putting some real effort into it so look over and it wasn't the maid. In the motel parking lot some women with a tire iron was swinging for all she was worth at the windows on this Caddy, she got done walked over to her car got in and calmly drove off. At the room window in front of the Caddy you could see the curtains move aside and some dude peeking out. Some body done got caught where they weren't suppose to be!:nono:

You're from Toronto... pretty much douche central in Canada, and the girls i work with, both from Toronto, agree with me.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
EnglishAdam said:
I lived in the US for 18 months (Houston) and traveled extensively when I was there.
We (+wife & kids) also vacation there every year.
I've always found just about everybody I encounter to be friendly.
I dunno, maybe I'm comparing it to Europe but I've just never had a problem.

Maybe it's the "Austin Powers" type accent :-D

Everyone is friendly in Houston because our rage is expressed through our driving.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Have to agree about Chicago. I live in Chicago and it seems that almost everyone is a jerk. It's getting worse too and I don't know how much more I can take.

NYC is MUCH lower on the jerk scale than Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread