To Water Wetter or not to Water Wetter

riplightning

Established Member
Before I bought my 03 Cobra, I owned a '00 Lightning. On the Lightning boards a lot of the owners were using water wetter in the intercooler and some also used it in the radiator.

I am considering using it in the intercooler reservior of my 03 at a 70% distilled water 30% engine coolant and a bottle of Red Line water wetter. This should yeild about a 10 degree decrease in air temps which, if my sources are correct should boost power by about 1%. Not bad for an $8.99 bottle of fluid.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Assuming you do not drive in very cold weather, the amt of coolant you suggests (30%) should be OK as an antifreeze.

As a corrosion inhibitor, not so sure - also not sure how WaterWetter' s inhibitors will work with the new Ford coolants, esp the yellow G5 type. Isn't water wetter a silicon/phosphate formula?

cobragb

Ford/Mustang Nut
Established Member
It's alcohol based, so at the most it will only last about 30 days in a closed system. Pro-Blend is a much better product.

riplightning

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I got the mix amounts from some motocross guys and I think they do change out there fluid more often than I would.

cobragb, do you have a link or info on the Pro-Blend you mentioned?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by cobragb
It's alcohol based, so at the most it will only last about 30 days in a closed system. Pro-Blend is a much better product.
Not according to Red Line - it is not alcohol based, and uses surfactants and proprietary anti-corrosives, and lasts a year.

SVTyballz

Established Member
I use it. I am definitley running cooler. How much is the question. My temp gauge is to the left of the little thermometer picture on the face. hhaahahaha maybe 5 degrees? maybe 10?? Anyway. I put 16 ounces in my main system and 4 in my intercooler w/30% glycol solution. These are the answers that I got from RedLine:

The WaterWetter active ingredient stays active indefinitely. We recommend where using less than 50% antifreeze that the corrosion protection that is depleted be replenished on an annual basis, add an additional bottle of WaterWetter after a year. Then after two years drain and refill the system.

Hope this helps.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread