To tune or not to tune

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Damn a lot of hate towards Lund lately. I will admit I have been a little frustrated myself with them. But I have faith, they have never done me wrong

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Guys, thanks for all the input and honest coments. Im ok with conservative. As I mentioned this car is NOT raced. Im more concerned with drivability and more resposiveness, a bit more torque. Ive had great experience with Lund/Van. They always get back to me right away. I askes for a catless tune in case I went that way (Im not) and got it a day after I asked for it. Ive had no issues with their 93 octane JLT tune, other than the damn P050B that pops up from time to time when it gets cold out (which Im sure used to happen with the OEM tune). I have no reason to think that if they felt a change was needed they would have just sent me a new tune. I probably have an irrational fear of someone beating on my engine, especially if I dont know them (Ive raced for years and had great relationships with race shop when carbs were king). EFI is new to me, and Ill admit my knowledge is very limited in this area and I have no relationship with the so called experts. They could pretty much tell me anything and I couldnt dispute it. I have no problem data logging it. I have no doubt that a dyno tube can tune more specifically to my car. My intent with this post was to guage experience from others that have done the same as I am about to do (existing tune, add headers latter)

Robot_trainer

Established Member
LOL..... How can the tables and scalars I mentioned above "adapt" (change)? They cannot. All these values are fixed and can never change.

I have absolutely NO problem going into tuning "specifics" on this forum, stuff that tuners will never do. I'm here to help everyone in an area that seems to be gray matter for most, and not just to make a buck....

Willie
I'll agree with you there. I understand, to some extent how it all works. I understand fuel ratio requirments, essentially basic stuff. Give me a Holley 1050, and I can set that up to idle at 850 with a big roller, drive clean at cruise, and give you full power on damand. Same with a distributor. Id have no clue how to do that with a computer and software. Kind of like an 80 year old trying to learn Excel. It not that Im not willing to learn or cant learn (I write code for robots), I just havent read or talked to anyone that can or really wants to explain it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread