To Trade or To Keep

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
I currently have a 2010 GT500 with some power/suspension modifications (see sig). I plan on pushing around 650-700whp with power and supporting driveline/suspension modifications over the next year or two, and love the prospect of building it up myself. However, recently I have come across a few low-mileage 2013s that are slightly outside of or within an acceptable price range for me. The main question is, are the '13s that huge of an upgrade to warrant the jump from my '10 at the numbers I plan on being at? I know the main differences but I'd like '13/14 owners to chime in on mod-ability and driving performance. I've driven a 2013 and honestly wasn't blown away, but then again 662hp on street tires at 45 degrees isn't a fair test. Any input would be great, thanks guys.

Coonsnake

Established Member
I would do a 13-14 imo, long as you are not upside down or find a good deal. Doesn't take many mods and the 13 will be making same power

SIK07GTSTANG

USMC 0311
Established Member
I would do a 13-14 imo, long as you are not upside down or find a good deal. Doesn't take many mods and the 13 will be making same power

I've got about $15,000 in positive equity so no issues there. I guess what I'm trying to decide is if I should continue dumping $10-12k into my '10 to make the numbers I'm shooting for, or go for a '13 that's already well set up for the power I'd like.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Here's a good piece of advice.

If you plan on keeping either car forever, then this doesn't apply... Selling your modded 2010 in the future, you will never get the money you spent on the mods back, and most people want a stock car to start with. If you go with the 2013, you are already making 662hp, stock, and a pulley would easily put you over the 700 hp mark. If you ever decide to sell the 2013, you will have an easier time, and you won't lose any money in all those mods. I say go 2013, before dumping 10k into your 2010.

Joewee500

Established Member
If I had it to do over I'd get a 13/14. By the time my 08 is back from build i will have almost the same tied up as the '14 gt500 with 1900mi for sale up the street. Get the 13/14.

breoland

Established Member
Just a quick comparison over your 10 with a 13/14
Alloy block
Better cams
Tvs
1 piece carbon fiber ds
Better trans
Torsen diff
Better cooling
Electric stealing, less weight up front
Better seats
Electric suspension
Knock sensors
That's just to name a few

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Maybe I'm in the minority here but I see keep it and do a tvs. That will get you in the 650+ range your looking for with supporting mods for a few thousand. You will take a hit on your trade in and pay a little over value on the newer one. That's the dealer game, to return to stock after all my time on mods for that I'd pass imo.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
If you haven't started modding the 10 then I'd go with the 13. I think most of us already have too much invested in aftermarket parts to make that trade. If my 08 was stock I'd consider it but I've spent at least 10 grand in aftermarket parts and install prices which I'm not prepared to just throw away. With the 13 you get a 5.8 vs 5.4 and the TVS amongst many other things. If you put 2 grand in to the 13 you'll blow the doors off of most earlier models with lots of work. Even if left stock your ahead of the game and you have a warranty. Seems like a no brainer to me.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If only you had knock sensors, OP. That is your "limiting" factor. You don't have the safety net of the '11+ cars. That aside, the 5.4 and 5.8 are going to be fairly close in HP numbers no matter what mods you do to each (same mods to both cars, i.e a 2.3 TVS and pulley on the 5.4 and a 2.3 TVS on the 5.8, etc.) The biggest reason the 5.8 is making more power off the bat is because of a bigger blower. Everything else comes down to the tune and supporting parts on the '13/'14; injectors, etc. An equivalent setup on a 5.4 is going to yield pretty close numbers. If power is your main concern, just keep what you have and mod it to the power levels you want. Talk to BJ at VMP Tuning (screen name VNMOUS). He has an '09 making something like 900HP and he's never even opened the engine.

The '13/'14 GT500 does have some other tangibles not available on previous cars; Torsen diff, fluid coolers out the wazoo, electronic gimmickry, etc. If you also want those, then the choice is clear. For me, a '13/'14 isn't different/upgraded enough for me to trade for one; not that I'd trade mine. The majority of the important stuff can be retrofitted or obtained elsewhere on the aftermarket.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Go with the 13......No mods on the 10 or a few mods on the 10 = get the 13 if its not going to bury you. Sooooo many upgrades compared to the 10. You will be at the power you want with a simply 13/6 or whatever the kit Raven racing puts out. Or VMP...or bloody o...doing it yourself

Bottom line you cannot go wrong with a 13.

Last edited:

Dynobrat

Established Member
You'll get ten different answers from ten different people. It really boils down to money and how much of a loss you take against the trade versus how much you will pay for the new car, plus the interest. Once you know your numbers, compare the total with the benefits of old versus new. NOT including resale value because that really doesn't matter under the considerations. They're all specialty vehicles they will both hold their value far beyond a GT which is one of the many reasons I traded in my 12 5.0 for a GT500.

I have a 2010 and I can live without track apps and launch control and quad tip exhaust and carbon fiber driveshaft and magnetic ride control. If all those things combined equal the total financial difference in value to YOU, then it would be worth it. Otherwise I would just keep modding away! You will only end up modding a 13-14 anyway once you get to know the car and find its weaknesses.

You have one of the last iron blocks. And that's not really a bad thing, except the weight ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread