To the S197 owners!!

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
What's up. So my Scion is totaled and now I'm on the market and I'm considering two cars: 2006 S197 5SPD and an 06 Mercedes Benz C230. I'm a little concerned for repair costs on the Benz so I'm looking more towards the Stang GT. Anyway I test drove it today and I noticed there's a slight buck when I take off. Now traction control was active and I sure as hell didn't rev above 1500 and I was wondering is this normal?? Is this how the live axles operate? Or should I have the dealer check it out before I buy it? Is this wheel hop???

Without a doubt I'll be test driving it one more time to verify it wasn't just user error. :D

Anyway ..anyone who owns an S197 5-speed experience this before? Or I guess anyone who knows a lot about them. Thanks!

Last edited:

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Go to another dealer and test out another s197 GT??
But it sounds like user error. Maybe your not use the clutch???

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
learn to drive a manual rook

it's not the cars fault your feet and your brain don't work together yet...but they will before you know it!

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
These cars don't buck if you drive them right. I see your old car with a Toyota with no torque, more than likely this is the problem.

Last edited:

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Go to another dealer and test out another s197 GT??
But it sounds like user error. Maybe your not use the clutch???

That might be it I guess. The clutch on my previous car was tricky ..and the gas pedal had play before throttle too ..I never got used to it.

A C230??? You'd have to be smoking crack to buy that car. Seriously.

Are you gonna explain yourself? lol

By "buck" I mean that its similar to going over a small rock with a slight audible knock too.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
+1 to everyone else. I don't want to seem like a dick, but I think it might be your driving, as you aren't used to the clutch. My car bucks like crazy if you don't engage the clutch smoothly and apply some throttle. Definitely test drive another one and try it again.

Also, wheel hop is when the tires spin then grab, over and over again, so I don't think that was what it was if you didn't go over 1500 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread