To The IT Geeks

CM5878

Established Member
Quick Question- If I have an excel document on a home computer, is there a way I can access it at a work location or any other computer. I believe it would have to be set up thru a cloud? I use windows 8 on my home computer so I think there is an option to set this up, but I'm kind of in the dark on how to set it up. :bash:

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
why not just save the workbook, email it and open it on your work computer? or save it to a flash drive.

CM5878

Established Member
Well of course I can do that, or just wait until I get home. But was just curious if there was a need to access something right away, if there was a way to do so.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
why not just save the workbook, email it and open it on your work computer? or save it to a flash drive.

^ +1

If you work on your home computer a lot and forget to send certain files or need to access them, try downloading "Log Me In" onto your home computer and that way you can remote in any time you need to. All you need to do is make sure your home computer is turned on and you can access with any computer by going to the website.

https://secure.logmein.com/

JasonSnake

Established Member
google drive - recommended as it is operating system - agnostic. If you were to get a Mac down the road, you can still install the google drive sync program.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
But was just curious if there was a need to access something right away, if there was a way to do so.

not unless you setup remote access previously on your home computer. if not, then no, no way to access it right away without being at that computer

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
simplest thing is sharing using the cloud,

if you want a real answer then you setup a shared drive on your pc, setup port forwarding on your router, get a hostname, use dynamic dns and then you can access your files from anywhere but if you're not an IT person you wouldn't know how to do that

GodStang

Established Member
simplest thing is sharing using the cloud,

if you want a real answer then you setup a shared drive on your pc, setup port forwarding on your router, get a hostname, use dynamic dns and then you can access your files from anywhere but if you're not an IT person you wouldn't know how to do that

Ya I kinda figured with the question he did not want something this in-depth. I use to use No-IP.org when I did this. Free and could get to my PCs from anywhere.

CalcVictim

Resident douchenozzle
Established Member
Ya I kinda figured with the question he did not want something this in-depth. I use to use No-IP.org when I did this. Free and could get to my PCs from anywhere.

That's what I use, home machine can be used as a web server, RDP and FTP.

Users who are viewing this thread