To the guys with 4.10s

J.Rovirosa

Established Member
Never had 3.73's, but I can tell you that I love my 4.10's. Perfect gear for a mainly street-driven, n/a 4.6 Cobra IMO; highway rpm is still in a tolerable range and first gear is realistically as short as I'd want it to be with the T-45.

jmsa540

Established Member
I went from 3.27's stock to 4.10's, one of the best decisions I ever made.. It was even my daily driver for a while..

I'm looking to put 4.10's in the Marauder soon.

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
Great for 1/4 mile and street (almost required) Limiting for open track (you run out of rpm)

Charlington

Established Member
Depending on the specific engine, mods, tune, etc lower RPM does not always mean better economy. From engines I've dismantled Combustion Chambers (less than 30k miles) are sometimes covered with unburned fuel that has to scrubbed off due to stop and go city driving. Rev it up, blow it out :)

FordRacingGuy

Established Member
It really depends what u want I have 4.10 and when I let off the clutch I'm already at 3k lol and 4 gear around town and about 3k at 80 I'm goin procharger in the spring and I may go 3.73 but I'll wait and see I already have no traction in 1st with nitto 555 I just may need stickier tires but if ur staying na 4.10s are pretty good I do have to say my old 98 cobra had factory 3.27 and I missing running 4th out to 140mph

bumsoil

Established Member
It really depends what u want I have 4.10 and when I let off the clutch I'm already at 3k lol and 4 gear around town and about 3k at 80 I'm goin procharger in the spring and I may go 3.73 but I'll wait and see I already have no traction in 1st with nitto 555 I just may need stickier tires but if ur staying na 4.10s are pretty good I do have to say my old 98 cobra had factory 3.27 and I missing running 4th out to 140mph

this exactly. im in 5th at 120ish. but I get there much quicker. im about to get some NT05's (NOT R) instead of my 555's. my 555's have been great for wet drifting in the PNW though.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
And after you run 4th out to 140 it hits a brick wall.

I had no problem pulling 5th with 4.30s.

Even on the road course 5th is very usable. I never ran out of RPMs as someone said considering it will pull 5th up over 170 if you have the room.

i8urSS

Established Member
I originally had 3.73's in my car when I bought it but switched to 4.10's. Its like a whole new world. I use mine as a DD and I'm in sales so I get in about 600 miles a week and I would never consider going back to the 3.73's. If anything I would still consider switching to 4.30's. If I had a regular job, I'd switch without hesitation.

projectslideway

Established Member
4.56 + S trim on 12lbs = YEEHAW! Engine spins about 3k @ 70mph. I had driven the car on multiple 8 hour trips one way when I lived in Chattanooga. It was never too bad.

SVTPete83

Established Member
4.56 + S trim on 12lbs = YEEHAW! Engine spins about 3k @ 70mph. I had driven the car on multiple 8 hour trips one way when I lived in Chattanooga. It was never too bad.
I had this same setup for awhile. About 500rwp and it was a ****ing blast!

Cowtown

Established Member
So I've had a few trips city and highway with the 3.73 gears after my rear end rebuild and they work pretty well. I can see those that say 4.10 minimum and why you'd say that. The motor certainly has a different want for gear with the dohc.

That all said where I drive, the type of traffic and the fact that this car may never see a drag strip again (or ever), the 3.73 are good for me. Here we have lots of slow, old drivers, rain in the fall/winter and hills as were by the ocean. All that in play and I think anything higher would just be a pita.

Had them on the highway Friday and I think the 3.73 were perfect, motor was about where I wanted it in the rpm band the whole way. Had it up to 130kph on the on freeway on our island and the RPM were about 25/2600, perfect.

So if you have more open roads and will hit a track get the 4.10 or maybe 3.90, if you have a scenario like mine I'd say 3.73 are a nice jump, puts it up in the sweet spot just a bit quicker.

tt54l32v

Established Member
Why is there not a giant banner at the top of this forum that says 4.30's or up unless unnaturally aspirated?

Most of the guys that suggest other wise have never had 4.30's or up.

Users who are viewing this thread