To stripe or not to stripe --that is the question

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
So lately, I have been contemplating getting matte black stripes installed and just wanted to get some opinions. Currently, my car is stripe-less. The previous owner removed the red lemans stripes that were originally on the car. I do like the plain look however, I like the look of the matte black stripes on a gloss black paint job. Another concern is the fact that my seats have the red stripes down them. I recently saw a black GT500 that had a single flat black stripe with red pin striping along the sides. It looked bad ass and didn't look painted on but for the life of me cannot find the pic again. I think it may have been on another website.

Anyhow what are the masses thoughts on this?:beer:

Imatk

Established Member
Well obviously it's your car so what YOU think is most important :) But I think matte black on black is bad-ass !

Speedboosted

Established Member
Matte on black is one of my favorite combos because of how subtle it is until you really look at it. I'd say go for it. Toss some BMR suspension pieces on it to match the red seats

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
You know, I didn't plan on getting black but here we are, and I've come to appreciate that its inconspicuous. Yet its unmistakably a Shelby, and at times the stripes are visible. I do plan on going strapless but I'll defiantly come back to stock.

I better stop writing now :)

9aze48.jpg

2ng9ag3.jpg

rlvz8i.jpg

28kj59j.jpg

SVT_28

Established Member
7b335a895e583dbe060057c256d9a58d.jpg
So lately, I have been contemplating getting matte black stripes installed and just wanted to get some opinions. Currently, my car is stripe-less. The previous owner removed the red lemans stripes that were originally on the car. I do like the plain look however, I like the look of the matte black stripes on a gloss black paint job. Another concern is the fact that my seats have the red stripes down them. I recently saw a black GT500 that had a single flat black stripe with red pin striping along the sides. It looked bad ass and didn't look painted on but for the life of me cannot find the pic again. I think it may have been on another website.

Anyhow what are the masses thoughts on this?:beer:

This isn't exactly what you described but similar....

TheGovernment

Established Member
Matte black on black is to common. Everyone is black on black on black on black.
Personally, being a painter, if it's so subtle, that you actually have to look for it, why bother doing anything.

When I bought my 07 GT500 it was black with matte stripes.... I hated it lol. If they are outlined with some other color, like above, then I don't mind them but to boring IMO.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
My 12 was a stripe delete from the factory....i absolutely wouldnt have bought the car if the dealer didnt agree to install stripes as part of the deal...it looked naked to me. Its all personal preference though. There are 3 iconic cars powered by ford motors that racing stripes belong on....427 Shelby Cobra, GT350, GT500

c6vette

Established Member
I agree that stripeless cars just don't seem like GT500s. Black with red is my favorite :rockon:

LD5050

37OH55V
Established Member
I like that the SVT has different stripes (thinner) to differentiate it, but honestly I think the fatter stripes look better on the car.

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
I prefer stripes on them, but that's just my opinion.

I like that the SVT has different stripes (thinner) to differentiate it, but honestly I think the fatter stripes look better on the car.

+1 I believe that's one reason why they went with the wider stripes on the 13-14. Also, another reason most 11-12s were without stripes because many didn't like the thinner ones.

sweetlou1182

Established Member
I have a Black 07 Drop and the first thing I needed to do was get the dual Shelby stripes. I went with the Matte black and love the lock. The low key stripes certainly gets lots of comps. I ordered my kit from AM and it cost me about 400 to have it installed. Well worth it IMO.

FXR500

Established Member
You should search for RedDragon on the GT500 forum. He's got a black on black with red pinstripes. It looks great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 267

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
You should search for RedDragon on the GT500 forum. He's got a black on black with red pinstripes. It looks great.

I thought he changed up the stripes to a different color:

DSC00625_zpsc174ac50.jpg

FXR500

Established Member
Could be, but I thought that pic matched the OP's description. Anyhow, I'm not that brave to go changing my car. I do like watching those who are.

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
YES!! HE NAILED IT Except id prefer dual stripes on mine but that is freaking sick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread