To stay at home or move out?

16kOrBust

Established Member
This will probably be long because I want you to have all the facts (just a heads up).

The Job Situation

I have a potential job offer coming up from the company I currently work at part-time and it could be one of those "life-changing" events for me. I'm 26 years old and have worked here full-time since I graduated college in 2006 until the beginning of 2010. I was just an assistant to the president making a "barely get by" paycheck while I spent my other time working on music opportunities (what I went to school for), but I was constantly taking on project after project that really had nothing to do with my position. I showed a high level of flexibility, a quick learning curve, and took a lot of pride in the quality of work I gave to the company, so even though I recently cut to part-time to pursue some other interests, they have basically asked if I'd be interested in a full-time, career-oriented position.

I don't have all the details yet (we're having a meeting tomorrow to discuss), but I made it clear to them that if I were to take on a position like this in a company like this, it would have to be for my long-term financial stability (retirement income/savings, comfortable living, etc). They agreed and I do know that the position will include full benefits (excellent benefits at this company) and a profit sharing plan that I've already been on for the past few years since I was initially full-time.

The Home Situation

I currently live at home in my parent's large house with two of my brothers where we all pay cheap rent. My parents split their year between here in CT and Florida where they have a place, so for 6-7 months out of the year, I basically rent a huge house with my two younger brothers. Three car garage, basement for my bike, huge yard and driveway, set far back from the road in a small town right next to a park. It's very nice and the cheap rent makes it very hard to give up.

I get along great with my parents and I actually didn't move out previously because my dad was counting on the rent to be able to keep both places. My girlfriend has her own place that I'm at quite a bit so privacy and stuff like that isn't really an issue even when they are in CT. The only thing that nags at me a little bit is that I'm heading towards my late 20's and still "living at home", even though it's not a cut and dry sort of situation.

Financial Situation

I don't know specifics on the salary they have in mind yet, but I do believe that they will offer me enough to meet my "minimum salary requirements" for taking the job. At this amount, I could afford a decent apartment on my own with utilities, cover my living expenses (food, gas, insurance, taxes, etc), student loan and motorcycle loan payments, put away some money for retirement, have a little spending money, and maybe have a small separate savings account. The student loan and fairly small motorcycle loan are my only debt as I paid off my new daily driver when I sold my Camaro.

So, The Debate

- There's a part of me that's going "You're 26 years old and getting into a career. It's probably time to move out so you don't have to say 'I live at home' when people ask and worry about privacy on those few occassions when when you do end up at your place with your girl."

- Then there's another part of me that's going "You could stay at home for another year or two with cheap rent, a huge garage, and a basement for the motorcycle. This would allow you to pay off your student loan and motorcycle loan, buy another 'fun car' with cash, and then move into your own place with ZERO debt owning a newer daily driver, a fun car, and a motorcycle outright. Plus by then you'll have had a raise or two and be in a position to chunk away some SERIOUS money for retirement, which you already started doing when you got the job because you didn't have all the expenses of your own apartment."

To be honest, the "move into your own place" argument really just comes down to an image thing. No one wants to be that guy who everyone thinks is living in his parents' basement because he doesn't have a job and can't afford his own place, so it is very tempting to move out as soon as I have the opportunity. On the other hand, being debt free, being able to buy another fun car since I had to sell my Camaro initially, and owning all three vehicles outright on top of being able to start saving more for retirement now just seems to make so much financial sense. Plus it's not like I'm in a bad situation right now "living at home". Like I said, for half the year it's like I'm just renting a huge house with my brothers and I don't mind helping my parents out with the rent I pay because it's cheap and they can use it. They would prefer I stay if anything so it's not like they're trying to get rid of me.

Anyways, thoughts? Opinions? Jokes? I'm open to whatever. Just thought I'd get some SVTP insight since I like to discuss financial stuff like this.

Last edited:

UnorthodoxCreat

Established Member
At 26 I would want to be out on my own(I'll be 26 in a couple weeks). I moved out about 2 years ago for the first time. I too had it easy and got along great with my parents and siblings but once I was settled into a career I thought it was time to be on my own. I haven't regretted it even though it would be easier and cheaper to still be with my parents.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Stay, save up for your own house. No sense in leaving just so you can spend more to get less, especially if your only reasoning for moving out is "image." You already have a girl, so it's not like you should really be worried anyways :shrug:

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
If you have an opportunity to rid yourself of debt, take it. Plus you said it helps out your parents. I wouldn't let something like your friends opinions of you living at 'home' make your decisions.

Raven519

Established Member
Might aswell stay where you are for the next year or two. Like you said you have low rent and your parents are gone 1/2 the year. Save as much cash and you can and then in 2 years put a down payment on a house or condo rather than renting. I'm 27 living at home, finacially its better and allows me to save up tons of cash which is going to allow me to purchase my own place within the next year. It comes down to what you think is best for yourself, dont let people say that "living at home" is a bad thing.

.n0b.

moar powa
Established Member
I'd say stick it out at home and pay off your loans, debt, have the extra cash when you want it. You have your whole life to live on your own, take advantage of your situation. You have nothing to prove to the people that question why you are still at home, your life not theres. Just ask yourself; what is the most logical, financially smart move to do here..

I'm kind of in the same spot to be honest but 22.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Sounds like a good deal I would stick it out for now and pay off some stuff.

Unless something happens with your girl. It is always hard to find a good one when you live with your parents and are over 25.

ITL Cobra

Established Member
Stay at home and save for a house. If there are no real issues at home, save your cash for a house..

ff500

Established Member
I agree with just about everyone else, I'd stay where you are and save up enough money for a down payment on your own place.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I lived at home for a year and a half after college until I could afford to buy a duplex. I was also able to buy 2 decent used cars and pay off a significant amount of student loan debt in that time.

I am vehemently against renting as it is paying someone else to do very little. You have your girl, so why are you worried about image? If you can't stand it at home, you could always move in with your girl or find a buddy to rent a room with for fairly cheap.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Stay, save up for your own house. No sense in leaving just so you can spend more to get less, especially if your only reasoning for moving out is "image." You already have a girl, so it's not like you should really be worried anyways :shrug:

THIS!!! you are one of the few 26 year olds living at home I would have any respect for. you are paying them rent (even if minimal) and, I assmue you are paying utilities. I would stay where you are, and sock money away for a house. as long as you are doing that you are good to go. start wasting money on going out and drinking with your buddies, car shit you don't need then you need to be out on your own.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
BTW theres a big difference between living at home and being a leech, or living at home because its the more financially sound decision.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
with that situation, stay at home for sure. stay till you can amass a nice, sizable deposit towards your own home. if everything is as good as it sounds, and will continue to be that way, hell, stay for a few more years and stack up a nice FAT deposit. im sure your parents would be supportive of that. its much harder to save up money like that when youre renting your own place, paying all the utilities and buying your own food. you can still do it, but it will take much longer.

consider yourself very fortunate to have a situation like that :beer:

03cobraracer

Established Member
i agree with everyone else, stay home and save up for a place.pay off your debt and definitely buy a house, renting is a waste of money! im 27 and currently living home as well, i could never afford to move out, and ive been unemployed the last year, but ive always payed my own way even now. i will be out in less the 2 months because im leaving for active duty Army service, but at least the next 5 years in the army i can save for a house when i get out.

usmcrebel

Established Member
Here is the problem...
You are asking us if YOU should live at home...It's a very legitimate question in and of itself, BUT at 26 you should know how you feel and what you want. I am going to say it's time to make a decision on your own too.

If i were you i would stay. save up a bunch of money drop a sizable down payment on a house in a few years and then move out.

Users who are viewing this thread