To shield or not to shield????

Mark302

Established Member
YES I have done a search with no real answers on this.

I just put a K and N on our 2003 cobra. It is just an open filter but I am really undecided on if I should make a nice shield for it or not. The fast guys in the mags. have no shield??? ALL opinions wanted!!! Thanks.

PoisonSnake

Banned
The K&N should already come with the metal shield. I put mine on because less heat from the engine and be sure the cold air only comes from the opening on the side.

Machinator

Banned
SVT316x said:
The K&N should already come with the metal shield. I put mine on because less heat from the engine and be sure the cold air only comes from the opening on the side.

Does your car stall with the fipk?

Mark302

Established Member
I just have an Anderson K and N kit. It is just an open filter. Guys like Nitrous Pete and JDM ran the same setups witout any shield???

03RedCobra

Established Member
I had the APTEN CAI on my car when I took it to Stegemeirs to get the blower ported, smaller pulley, tune. Well, when it came time to Tune the car, as soon as they pulled the cover OFF of the APTEN CAI, the horsepower increased by 15-horsepower on the very next immediate run. They ended up installing an open-ended K&N filter without any shield, and remained easily 15-horsepower over the APTEN CAI.

I have a program (AutoTap) for my Cobra as well that plugs into the OBD port and allows you to monitor all the sensors that the computer monitors, and displays it on the laptops screen. Well, I drove around for quite a while watching the IAT temp and although it tended to go up when i was sitting at a light, or idling somewhere, as soon as i took off the temp dropped very fast. The temp outside was in the 40's, and the IAT was reading in the high 60's to low 70's while driving.

So, to answer your question, does having a shield help to keep the horsepower up ?? Well, that's probably still a debateable thing. It probably helps maybe a little bit, but I don't think it's all that much of a difference. It may even be restrictive as well, especially in the scenario I had with the APTEN CAI.

Users who are viewing this thread