TO PULLEY OR NOT TO PULLEY?

03DOHC

Established Member
Didn't that Arizona Tuner guy say the 2003 Cobra's intercooler was not very efficient in another thread? I remember him saying it couldn't handle the heat very well.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Didn't that Arizona Tuner guy say the 2003 Cobra's intercooler was not very efficient in another thread? I remember him saying it couldn't handle the heat very well.
Whether he did, or not, he is wrong. The intercooler in the L and Cobra (same) is incredibly efficient. One of the major mags had a great write-up about the intercooler, the last couple of months...

jtfx6552

Established Member
Just picked up the october 02 magazine "Truckin". They have a very informative article about modding an L with different pullies on both the M112 and a Kenne Bell blower. In the article they show a picture of the L intercooler. There isn't much to "scale" the picture, but the L core looks a lot taller then the cobra core. Anyone have the dimensions of the L cooler?

Maybe I should head over to the L board and ask?

JT

03DOHC

Established Member
I remember reading about the L intercooler and the twin-screw, but I don't remember them saying the Cobra's IC was the same as the L's if you're talking about Holdeners article.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Right, they didn't say it was the same. I think the part that fits under the blower is, but the cooler under the bumper looks quite a bit different, since the front of a Lightning is a lot different than the front of the Cobra. I am wondering if the Cobra has less area than the L?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
You guys are gonna make me dig through all the 5.0s and MM&FFs lying around, aren't you...:-D lol

Reelman

Established Member
Re: PULLEY

I was thinking a good compromise would be a 3.20 pulley to replace the 3.65 we have.Prolly give you 2 to 3 lbs andkeep the inlet heat down a bit..

Anyone else think somewhere between the L pulley 2.93 and the Stock Pulley whould be good.

Jim V. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with Jimmy V. Point me to a 3.20

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Blue98Cobra
You guys are gonna make me dig through all the 5.0s and MM&FFs lying around, aren't you...:-D lol

AIN'T it COOL

:coolman:

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Re: Re: PULLEY

Originally posted by Reelman
I was thinking a good compromise would be a 3.20 pulley to replace the 3.65 we have.Prolly give you 2 to 3 lbs andkeep the inlet heat down a bit..

Anyone else think somewhere between the L pulley 2.93 and the Stock Pulley whould be good.

Jim V.

I agree with Jimmy V. Point me to a 3.20 [/B][/QUOTE]

This is exactly my plan. South florida pulley has it I think

http://www.southfloridapulleyhq.com/other_sc_vehicles_frame.htm

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
From There site:
Also, we will be offering other DUB Supercharger sizes in 3.2" & 3.4" sizes for those who Do Not want to run upwards of 14 pounds of Boost on their New SC Cobra Mustangs. Look forward to seeing these here in the next couple of weeks!

Jim V.

03DOHC

Established Member
Haven't the L guy's been running their M-112 past what the L pulley will do on our Cobra's? Has anyone seen a blower fail on an L because of over-spinning it? I've heard of rods going...

Lomancobra

Established Member
Is the "rev limit" on the eaton 112 14,000 rpms or is that wrong?

Also is there any benefit to going with a lower pulley rather than the upper pulley that is attached to the s/c? Which do you think would be more inconspicuous to ford?

Thanks

VintagePorscheG

Old School SVT Poster
Established Member
kids - I have a convertable and a third seat belt in the back. My kids all put thier hands up like riding a roller coaster when we are cruising around town.... lol

pulleys - I can't wait to hit 36k miles... well really I can but I drive this car a lot... do about 500 miles a week for work... anyway should hit 36k next summer and thats when I am changing pulleys... btw I used to own a GTP too and everyone changes pulleys on those with no problems... I also know where to get a pulley puller for under $100

I will most likely do the 2.93 pulley and a chip but will also change belt and plugs at the same time.

Before 36k - This winter while driving my truck to work I plan on putting in a 4pt Autopower (or other SCCA Legal ) roll bar sub frame connectors and front and rear strut tower braces and also try to figure out how to loose about 200 pounds of stuff out of the car to make up for all the metal I am welding in...

Well, there you have my mod plans for the next year. I hope to do a drivers school next summer with this car and also hope to be pretty darn close to finishing the Porsche Vintage Racer by then.

peace.

iistrading

Established Member
LomanCobra:

There is no "rev limit" of 14,000 rpms. The 14,000 RPMs on Eaton's chart is just where the chart stops. Why do you think that Ford installed press on Pulleys instead of Eaton's splined shaft (to discourage Pulley changes). Why does the Eaton chart stop at 14,000 RPMs when it's a known fact that higher RPMs (within reasonable limits) brings more boost and performance (to discourage higher boost because of Ford and Eaton product liability issues).

My two Lightning pickups run 2.80" upper Pulleys and 9.75" lower Pulleys and at peak RPMs of 6,000 the Eaton M112 is turning 20,892 RPMs. The risk on the Lightning is not that the Eaton M112 blows up from the higher RPMs but rather like someone else mentioned the rods fail. The Lightnings do not have the Manley rods (or other stong internals) like the 03 Cobra come stock from the factory with.

Remember the Eaton M112 in my Lightning is only turning these peak RPMs for split seconds. I too have never heard of a Eaton M112 failure from operating in ranges from 14,000-20,000 RPM. I am not even sure how efficient the M112 is beyond 18,000 RPM but the Lightning pulley changes result in significant RWHP & RWTQ improvements in all ranges especially the lower and middle ranges of the RMP power curve. With every Pulley change we made to increase boost there were significant improvements in 60 ft, 1/8 and 1/4 mile ET at the strip. I now feel we have reached a level (through Pulley changes) where the stock Eaton M112 (without modification) has nothing left to give (it's maxed out).

Last edited:

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
GREAT! Now I'm actually leaning the other way again... Oh well, I think I doing a Diablo soon and maybe a K&N. I plan to change the oil every 3k using Mobile1 0W-30 and 5W-30(summer).

DUMB QUESTION: How does the blower get oil? From the engine oil or does it have its own oil supply/reservoir? If its got its own do you change it and when?

I know I remember a friend of mine had a T-Bird SC Coupe that he changed the oil on his SC.

iistrading

Established Member
Fast 03 Cobra:

The Eaton M112 has it's own oil reservoir and the gears are lubricated by the splash system. I have heard that the oil should be changed once a year. The access plug is on the front of the Snout housing midway on the left side. You can find threads dealing with this issue.

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by Fast03Cobra
Ok so we are at 7.5-8 psi stock right?

If I add a 4# increase from a pulley thats 50% MORE pressure from the blower.

1. Is that safe for the Engine? Can the engine support that much more pressure without much more wear?

2. Is that safe for the Blower?

3. What about timinig, air, fuel, AND last but NOT least - HEAT??

I think I'm sold on the chip thing. I've done in on 3 other cars.

But increasing pressure 50%, I dont know.... Maybe going to 10 psi.

Is everybody REALLY that comfortable doing this?

Should I not worry and if not why?

Not too much agreement on anwers

iistrading

Established Member
Cubes,

I am running 17 psi (100+% more than stock) on my 02 Lightning with the Eaton turning as high as 20,500 rpms with a stock engine at 5,800 engine rpms and rods not designed to handle that extreme HP. The 03 Cobra has Manley rods, 4-valve heads and a much better build engine than the Lightning.

Our 03 Cobra is being fitted with a Medco lower 6 lb (8.95") Pulley and 2.80" press on upper Pulley that should take the boost level up to about 17-18 psi with the Eaton turning 20,750 rpms at 6500 engine rpms.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread