TO PULLEY OR NOT TO PULLEY?

sqidd

Established Member
I saw a post somewhere and someone (pretty thin so far) said he dynoed his car with a 2.93 and a 2.80 and said the gains between the two were slim. He figured he was at max efficiency with the 2.93.

:rollseyes

sqidd

3rdstang

Established Member
I saw the same thing sqidd but I dont remember what the name of the post was and if you do a pulley search you'll get about 5 pages of returns.:bash:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by sqidd
I saw a post somewhere and someone (pretty thin so far) said he dynoed his car with a 2.93 and a 2.80 and said the gains between the two were slim. He figured he was at max efficiency with the 2.93.

:rollseyes

sqidd
edited: That's high roller's post.

Last edited:

OneSVTFan

Established Member
I am going with Jim V. on the 3.20 pulley. Another friend is also going with the 3.20. To be honest, I am going the conservative route and letting you mavericks blaze a trail (hope the trail is all you blaze :) Will evaluate later on where to go from here. Hey Jim V. I noticed you have increased your hp in your sig, what have you added to the 03? I know you have access to dyno and have been keeping up with you and your car, would you mind to summarize what you have done so far?

mike69440

Established Member
I have it on good authority:

1. The rear end is indestructible on street tires.

2. The 2.93 diameter puller does not overstress the blower and volumetric efficiency stays ok. The 2.8 Pulley puts too much belt load on the snout and will have long term durability effect. I was originally going to go with a 3.2 pulley, but was advised that the 2.93 is "a real good match".

3. The motor itself is stout. They do not anticipate people will have internal problems from +500 motors as long as they have a good tune.

4. They really like what the Bassani X pipe specific for the 03 will do. Scavenges the iron manifolds well. Good converters.

5. There is not really a lot of loss from the stock airbox and even the silencer. What really sucks is the Ford stock filter and even any of the stock K&N or other supposedly high flow Stock filters replacements. Simply the filters are the major restriction. What needs to be developed is a larger capacity filter for the 03 stock air box.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by mike69440
I have it on good authority:

1. The rear end is indestructible on street tires.

2. The 2.93 diameter puller does not overstress the blower and volumetric efficiency stays ok. The 2.8 Pulley puts too much belt load on the snout and will have long term durability effect. I was originally going to go with a 3.2 pulley, but was advised that the 2.93 is "a real good match".

3. The motor itself is stout. They do not anticipate people will have internal problems from +500 motors as long as they have a good tune.

4. They really like what the Bassani X pipe specific for the 03 will do. Scavenges the iron manifolds well. Good converters.

5. There is not really a lot of loss from the stock airbox and even the silencer. What really sucks is the Ford stock filter and even any of the stock K&N or other supposedly high flow Stock filters replacements. Simply the filters are the major restriction. What needs to be developed is a larger capacity filter for the 03 stock air box.
Have these "authorities" fixed your car? Any updates on your situation?

FINICKY

Established Member
ok so will these things make more power wth the 2.80 pulley over the lightning pulley??? how much boost will i see with it?? i have the lightning pulley but figure if i can get 2 more pounds of boost safely and it actually gives more power ill do it.

Lightningforce

Established Member
280" pulley

The 280" pulley makes approx. 1.5#'s of extra boost on my 00 Lightning. This same pulley will produce approx. 6.5#'s of boost on the 03 Cobras.

Mark/LFP

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Back to this thread huh? I think I am going to keep the stock airbox w/ K&N, ONCE I find a GOOD exhaust match I will do the 2.93 or 3.2 and a Superchip and dyno tuning. A local Mustang speed shop said they would do CAI, DynoMax Cat-Back, SuperChip, before and after Dyno pulls with tuning, for $1275.

Sounds like an ok deal to me... Now he also said they have the pulleys too... :) Might go with Pulley, plugs, and chip and keep the exhaust. Dont want too loud.

Problem is that I cant see using a restrictive 2.5" GT exhuast system on a 500 HP blown Cobra engine... Seems like that would be KILLING me!

WHO MAKES A 3" system?

Do you think if I did JUST the x-pipe it would give good benefits and still be somwhat quiet?

cubes

Established Member
Re: Re: PULLEY

Originally posted by Reelman
I was thinking a good compromise would be a 3.20 pulley to replace the 3.65 we have.Prolly give you 2 to 3 lbs andkeep the inlet heat down a bit..

Anyone else think somewhere between the L pulley 2.93 and the Stock Pulley whould be good.

Jim V.
I agree with Jimmy V. Point me to a 3.20

WHY get a 3.20 and not 2.93?
Be specific they seem so close anyway.

iistrading,
made some good points that the engines can handle an even smaller 2.80 pulley with no problems.
Originally posted by iistrading
LomanCobra:

There is no "rev limit" of 14,000 rpms. The 14,000 RPMs on Eaton's chart is just where the chart stops. Why do you think that Ford installed press on Pulleys instead of Eaton's splined shaft (to discourage Pulley changes). Why does the Eaton chart stop at 14,000 RPMs when it's a known fact that higher RPMs (within reasonable limits) brings more boost and performance (to discourage higher boost because of Ford and Eaton product liability issues).

My two Lightning pickups run 2.80" upper Pulleys and 9.75" lower Pulleys and at peak RPMs of 6,000 the Eaton M112 is turning 20,892 RPMs. The risk on the Lightning is not that the Eaton M112 blows up from the higher RPMs but rather like someone else mentioned the rods fail. The Lightnings do not have the Manley rods (or other stong internals) like the 03 Cobra come stock from the factory with.

Remember the Eaton M112 in my Lightning is only turning these peak RPMs for split seconds. I too have never heard of a Eaton M112 failure from operating in ranges from 14,000-20,000 RPM. I am not even sure how efficient the M112 is beyond 18,000 RPM but the Lightning pulley changes result in significant RWHP & RWTQ improvements in all ranges especially the lower and middle ranges of the RMP power curve. With every Pulley change we made to increase boost there were significant improvements in 60 ft, 1/8 and 1/4 mile ET at the strip. I now feel we have reached a level (through Pulley changes) where the stock Eaton M112 (without modification) has nothing left to give (it's maxed out).

Last edited:

Lomancobra

Established Member
Here is a great article I found on another thread. Particularly the formula used to calculate potential boost of a supercharger. I tried using the formula, but I need to know the size of the lower pulley. Can someone who is more educated than me use this formula to find the "potential boost" of our suercharger? When you click on the link, click on the "Kenney Belle blower install article". Then the formula is on page 3. This article makes me want a kenney belle really bad! What is the size of the stock lower pulley anyway? The upper one is 3.65 right?

http://www.svt-enthusiast.com/modules/gallery/

Users who are viewing this thread