To modify or not?

8urvett

Established Member
The poll on mileage for our 93's made me think hard about the whole mod issue on this car. If it's already say over 50K miles would you mod it since it's value is less than say one with only 10k miles? Or would you keep it stock and replace only with NOS matching parts?
So far mine has just a few bolt ons, shorties, exhaust, shifter, cai, etc. Nothing that cant be changed pretty quick.
I have don't have a problem with modding my 99......any one else have these feelings? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

ObieFox

Established Member
I wouldn't hesitate to do any bolt on mods to a 93 cobra regardless of mileage. As long as you carefully store the original components, you might as well drive the car the way you like it IMOP.

Take care,
Kevin

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't hesitate to do any bolt on mods to a 93 cobra regardless of mileage. As long as you carefully store the original components, you might as well drive the car the way you like it IMOP.
Exactly. Keep the originals, don't do any mod that you can't reverse...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
8urvett said:
The poll on mileage for our 93's made me think hard about the whole mod issue on this car. If it's already say over 50K miles would you mod it since it's value is less than say one with only 10k miles? Or would you keep it stock and replace only with NOS matching parts?
So far mine has just a few bolt ons, shorties, exhaust, shifter, cai, etc. Nothing that cant be changed pretty quick.
I have don't have a problem with modding my 99......any one else have these feelings? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

How do you value a car? Or how perfect do you think the 93 is?

I feel that 70% of my mods are the way the car should have come from the factory. My brake upgrade, head upgrade, better headers, SFC's, springs, 3.73's all should have come on the car.

Think about it, cobra's have gotten better in all aspects of performance each year, why shouldn't yours .

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
ask Carroll Shelby if he would mod his cars? hell ya. i think it will only improve them. who's gonna want a stock stang in 20 years? not me.

Lee

Established Member
If I wanted to moderately or heavily "mod" something I would have bought a GT. GTs are a dime a dozen and come with throw away parts. 93 Cobras are rare, and "un-modded" ones are even more rare. But like others I constantly hear the "sirens song" for mods and my resistance is waning.

my .02

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Lee said:
If I wanted to moderately or heavily "mod" something I would have bought a GT. GTs are a dime a dozen and come with throw away parts. 93 Cobras are rare, and "un-modded" ones are even more rare. But like others I constantly hear the "sirens song" for mods and my resistance is waning.

my .02

yeah but 93 GT's are not as cool as 93 cobras :thumbsup:

That's cool Lee. Not all of us have or ever will have the same opinion on modifying these cars.

Even though my car really needs one, I absolutely refuse to put a cage in it. That is one mod in my opinion that cannot be undone. All my others can be.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
I look at this way. When you go to a car show and look at the classics, do you hang around those lame resto 6 cyl stangs or the big bad ass blown Shelbys that look so kickass you know the tires would get blown off if you matted the gas. You get envious of the owner, and wonder what ripping that car around the road would feel like. Mod it up is what I say. People are gonna think the same thing about your Cobra. But make sure you have a big garage or a place to store parts cuz they add up quick. All those stock parts nicely packaged up takes up room. Package them up real nice, and they will stay nice.

Last edited:

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
Lee said:
Ok so sell your car and buy a GT to mod up. I dare ya. I double dare ya...

I bet you cant part ways with it. So that leaves you with only 1 choice. :-D

Lee

Established Member
:lol: That's funny! And I get your point. I still enjoy just ripping through the gears with the "minor mods" that I do have. :-D But if I really let the "mod bug" get me I'd put MM control arms in the rear with a panhard bar. Then I'd put a full Bassani exhaust and then a Vortech! :banana:

Last edited:

CO9B3RA

Established Member
Not mod

Looks like the unmodders are in the minority: I must put my "hat" in with them due to the fact that when the production #'s are low, the true value is
in the "stockness" of the vehicle. My experience has been in the low #'d vehicles: a '64.5 K coupe, an '86 SVO and my '93 Teal Cobra. The early
coupe is bone stock except for a bolt-in T-5; the 4-speed is rebuilt and waiting for use. The SVO has the quadrant and the firewall clutch friction
point setup. The Cobra has a K & N air filter and in the near future the exhaust system will be replaced as its rusting out from the inside. The replacement cats may not be the original quad but a high flow dual setup but,
other than that, this 31.5k mile Cobra should escape the mod frenzy.

As it is, the Cobra is SO FUN to drive that I don't NEED to do anything to it. Besides I don't want to add to the '93 Cobra mortality rate which I'm told is around 1/3rd of the 4993. That is SAD!!! :cryying:
:coolman:

ron_lightning04

Established Member
the engines wont last forever but t he out side is what i think is important keep the outside and interior in same condition and you are all good to go lol

lates ron,

8urvett

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies, right now with snow on the ground she is sitting with a cover on her in the garage waiting for spring. Either way it's just nice knowing I have one!:) Once I get my 99 cobra paid off (bought used) maybe I will look around for another low mileage 93 for a stocker show car and then start to mod this 93

Last edited:

venomous93

Established Member
Im also in this bind....i have an ed curtis ported cobra intake, full exhaust sittin in my closet, and am this close to ordering heads and cam form ed curtis as well, and a procharger...but here is the thing

Like stated above the , mortality rate is huge of 4993 there might be 4000 left..probably less...i live in SF and i hear of about 2-3 93 cobras getting stolen A YEAR...Not to mention the ones that are wrecked.

Ask yourself this question... is a gt 350 worth more stock or converted into a fuel injected 408 with a vortech and a t56 and IRS?? Dont think so...what about a an old boss 302, cobrajet or anything else?? Those command high prices in bone stock form, far more than the ones that are modded. I know you dont think the 93 cobra compares but consider the fact that your 93 cobra has less production numbers than these older cars, consider the fact that the 93 cobra is the car that saved the mustang line and that the fox body cars are considered one of the nicest looking mustangs ever built, In 20 years our cars will be held in such a higher regard than they are right now......and i know in 20 years someone will pay alot more for a 100k mile stock cobra with no mods..than one that is done up and has a DSS 331 with a blower.

My car is black and is about to turn 47k miles...and i want to mod it but i think i will hold out. Im either gonna buy a real clean red 93 cobra so i wont feel bnad about modding this one...or try and find a silver frost notch with black interior :rockon: My cobra is by no means perfect ( has some scratches ) but other than a drop and h pipe is bone stock....I fully enjoy the car the way it is, and i fell that if i have 400 hp under the hood, i will do nothing but street race and beat it, But thats what gt's and notched were made for.....Sorry for the rant--Ken

CO9B3RA

Established Member
Modless in the SW

To each his/her own and, as many posters in this string, there are that many
individual opinions. Thats what makes this country of ours great!!!!!

I only wish I had the where-with-all ($$$) to have 2 '93 Cobras. Since I've
spread myself out almost 30 years in my 5 Mustangs, I've had the good fortune to have owned/own some real nice examples of "horses." At this
moment I've run out of garage space and will have to make due with the
2-60's era and 3 Foxes, '82, '86, and CO9B3RA.

Let's all drive defensively...and still have FUN.... with our '93's. Every one of
us who realize the uniqueness of the last Fox/first modern Cobra should be on
their best behavior and not add to that 30+% mortality rate.
:coolman:

PJM99

Established Member
I'm feeling the same way. I'd like to get some more power out of the car, but I don't want to lose the original. I wouldn't do anything that I couldn't change back.

Users who are viewing this thread