To keep or sell

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Curious how many others kicked the car for a short term while there kids grew up some. Just realized this morning I put less than 1000 miles on the car in a year being as I have an 18 month old and 3 month old. Obviously with no room for 1 much less two car seats you just cant enjoy it. I own the car but hate that it sits. My 01 cobra prior to this car and kids I put ~40k miles on. Not affraid to drive these cars just no opportunity.

So long story short who sold the car to do something else with the cash until the kids got bigger?

Car in question...03 w/ 21k on the clock

Zemedici

Established Member
Dump it - can always buy another car. Time with your children obviously takes precedence over the car, and the market is up on these cars currently.

zredfire04

Established Member
me? i'd keep it.

it's paid for. keeping it doesn't have to cost a bunch of money and in a couple years, you'll have kids in booster seats. my 5 year old loves riding in my car. my 8 year old does too, but not as much.

as noted, the market is up on these cars. it might only go up from here.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I vote keep it if paid for..

you never know when something bad comes up and you really really need cash..it' something you have to put up against a loan..

most get rid of car,than need help and put house against it and lose way to much..

than..kids grow so fast..

my kids loved ours ,now our grand children are enjoying it..

for just a 1 day use..any trouble I feel is nothing compares to the memories they get from just 1 ride,let alone many..

nol300

Established Member
The market is up and don't see it going down especially if you don't drive it. I have 5 and 3 year old boys I think I put 300 miles on it last year but I would not sell mine.

Do you have the room if so just keep it there are plenty of cars that sit Mine is a 2004 with 10,200 miles currently and a 3.4 whipple. My wife won't let me sell it neither will the boys they have only been in it about 3 times but they love it.

Attachments

• cobra kids.jpg
    cobra kids.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 147

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Unless you need the money I’d keep it for now jmho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG0h3

Established Member
Vote keep as well. Every now and then I kick the idea around of getting a new S550 or Hellcat. But then I have to deal with the depreciation, having a payment on something that sits, and I very well may not like them as much.

Costs me nothing to only drive it 1000 miles a year. Smoked the clutch and its been on blocks for 2 weeks. Still don't care. I'd be bothered if I were making a payment.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
All valid points. Dont need the cash and own the car...guess its more about just letting it sit. Just thinking I could be making money with the cash in the market vs a car in the garage. Agreed it wont depreciate...and will it go up...who knows but dont plan to retire on it. I have a 3 car garage so space is no issue. Will make my decision by summer so I can take advantage of the market if I do sell

dom418

Established Member
I’ve sold 3 due to them sitting. As your kids get older you will have even less time to drive it as your free time will be consumed with their activities, parties, etc.

If your plan is to make money then yes sell the car and invest it. While Terminators are holding their value, they aren’t appreciating and far from an investment.

Only exception may be a car with under 1000 miles. Or if you wait another 20 years

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I put roughly a 1,000 miles on mine in a year, and I don't have kids. I only have about 6 months out of the year to enjoy it.

I'll only sell mine if it's an emergency and I need funds.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
“Force” yourself to drive it at least once or twice a month. Nice Sunday morning - get up at 6am and take it for a 20 mile blast. 30 minutes twice a month. Car gets used and enjoyed. Soon your kids will be big enough to go for front-facing rides and will think your car is the coolest thing in the world.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Sell it. If it were a MC or CO I'd hold on to it.

But you can get another down the road when it's a better time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
I say keep it. I've had a Mustang of some sort since I was 16. Mine 17yo son remembers riding in my 1970 fastback when he was around 2 or 3. Granted my early Mustangs were daily drivers, but I still wouldn't have sold them unless needed.

Use the car for family time as they get older. I have pics of my kids helping me work on my car. As well as my son's power wheels on jack stands next to my car. They enjoy cruises and shows and have since they were young. Now my son has a Mustang and my daughter will probably get one as well.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Keep it,
I put less than 1,000 on mine a year as well. Some of my favorite memories were riding with my dad to car shows in his mustangs. Maybe you can make those same memories.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Sell it. If it were a MC or CO I'd hold on to it.

But you can get another down the road when it's a better time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Terminators are appreciating (good examples), but they aren’t skyrocketing. With little kids and limited space, sell now and acquire another when the time is right. Little kids are not really compatible with collector cars. My kids worked hard at destroying our cars when they were little. Now that they are in their teens, I have a handful of fun cars that we all enjoy and they aren’t ruining.

Sell now, invest the money and do the little kid thing for awhile. Buy again later. If you had a Mystichrome, I would absolutely advise you to keep it. Finding a nice one later on would be tough and costly.

dbrennancobra

Established Member
I agree with this. Terminators are appreciating (good examples), but they aren’t skyrocketing. With little kids and limited space, sell now and acquire another when the time is right. Little kids are not really compatible with collector cars. My kids worked hard at destroying our cars when they were little. Now that they are in their teens, I have a handful of fun cars that we all enjoy and they aren’t ruining.

Sell now, invest the money and do the little kid thing for awhile. Buy again later. If you had a Mystichrome, I would absolutely advise you to keep it. Finding a nice one later on would be tough and costly.

I agree! Keep all mystichromes even if you have 4 little ones! Haha!!

Don’t sell! I have a 7, 5, 3 and 11 month and I still drive 300-1500 miles a year. Just drive it to work on fridays on nice days or something....

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
The day you stop enjoying Cobra ownership is probably the time you should consider selling it.

I enjoy Cobra ownership, no matter how busy I am or how little I drive it.
Whether it's to wipe it down or take it out for a drive, I feel like I need that space once in awhile. It brings me happiness.

If you do sell it, have another outlet to take care of yourself, though- been there with a pile of children and learned the hard way. No one is infallible and Cobra ownership (or whatever thing) can help keep your life in balance.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
I never understood the 'clear all decks' mentality just because someone has kids- sell all your sh!t, stop having fun, give up hobbies/passions, etc... (easier said by some 47 year old guy who does not have any yet! ha)...Just about all of my friends have kids and none of them gave up any of their passions or hobbies- sure there were times when they had to spend less time doing their passions/hobbies but they never ever completely abandoned them...I will certainly follow that mindset when/if my time comes...unless of course you CHOOSE to abandon your hobbies/passions, then different story. but based on what i've seen they all NEEDED their passions/hobbies for balance in their lives- even if they went on temporary standby- so moral of the story is KEEP IT IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY and SELL IT IF IT DOESN'T. different story if money was an issue, but absent that, KEEP IT! regretting selling it after the fact will hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread