To GT500 or not??

imeyers302

Established Member
My car is a 2014 Track Pack GT Premium with Recaros. Car came new from a steeda dealer with a fair amount of mods. Boss Mani, Steeda CAI and 93 Oct tune. Also come with Steeda Sport Springs and panhard bar, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, and Boss side exhaust. Have since added Steeda upper and lower control arms, Steeda watts link, Steeda sways and links, and the Steeda watts link. Then added the DSS carbon shaft and the MGW race spec. Needless to say, the car drives phenomenal.

I am at the point now where I want and need more power. Am real close to ordering a stage 2 procharger or a whipple front feed. Here's my problem. I always wanted a GT500. My dealer has a 2011 with less than 11,000 miles on it and I am ready to trade in the 5.0 with 6000 miles which I have positive equity in and get the shelby. If I use the money that I would spend on the procharger or whipple and put it down on the gt500 my payments would be a bit cheaper than they are now plus the GT500 is already supercharged. It would also have full warranty since it's certified pre owned which the 5.0 won't have as soon as a blower goes in. Also the GT500 will hold its value much better than the GT. If I sink 10k into the GT it's worth maybe 3k more the next day. 10k down on the GT500 is a much better investment. Not to mention I would need bigger wheels and tires for the GT which is another 3k.

I figure the watts link, konis and springs (I think), control arms, sway bars and links, etc, can all get swapped over to the 500 so it would not be a loss on those parts at all and the driveshaft and Shifter would sell quickly.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
I would get the gt500. There's is a point of no return with the 5.0. Right now I have a V3, mmr billet opgs and crank gear, long tube headers, ID 1000s, bap, upper and lower lcas, bmr drop brackets, ultralite springs, panhard bar, dynotech ds, and built m82. My point is your gonna dump a ton of money into it and it's still a 5.0, your power is limited, and you never know when the motor is going to grenade.

Last edited:

imeyers302

Established Member
I would get the gt500. There's is a point of no return with the 5.0. Right now I have a V3, mmr billet opgs and crank gear, long tube headers, ID 1000s, bap, upper and lower lcas, bmr drop brackets, ultralite springs, panhard bar, dynotech ds, and built m82. My point is your gonna dump a ton of money into it and it's still a 5.0, your power is limited, and you never know when the motor is going to grenade.

That's what I was thinking, not to mention the 500 with a pulley and tune is closing in on the 600whp mark which is more than enough for me and would need nothing else to make that power reliably, all day long. I would really miss those recaros but could always do seats at some point.

Zemedici

Established Member
Life's too short to not have what you want. You know you want the GT500, go get it. Post pics when she's yours! :beer:

1sweetazz5.0

Established Member
I think you answered your own question in opening post. But just to be clear, Absolutely get the Shelby for every reason you said and more.

imeyers302

Established Member
Whats the cost of the GT500?

They are asking just over 42k. Hoping I can get him to around 38-39k. Car is 100% stock and in mint shape. Wonder if they would let me do a seat swap. I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask. Going over there tomorrow to run some numbers.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
a better point wud be if ur gonna dump a shit load of money into a car a GT500 is not the car for that. its still a Mustang which is why the GT is a far better bang for the buck.

if he's lookn to upgrade then buy a GT that is already modified. be far less then a GT500 and won't lose much value cause the original owner is the one that lost his shirt on it.

A GT500 will decrease in value far faster then a build Mustang GT will and ull have WAY more HP likely. and a GT500 is heavy and their all stick shifts. Auto's are proven to go far faster easier but yea I get it some ppl like their stick shifts.

Last edited:

imeyers302

Established Member
I don't want someone else's modded GT. Dont need someone elses headache. If I wanted to go that route I would just keep mine. Also if I got one of these cars with an auto, I would have to kick my own a**. I don't care if it's faster. And unless it's a Boss or built motor it may have more HP but the motor will be at its limit and the trans over its limit. GT500 can make 600whp all day long without to much effort and the trans is rated for 600tq which is well beyond the rating of the MT82.

Oh and at least for now, it has a full warranty.

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
a better point wud be if ur gonna dump a shit load of money into a car a GT500 is not the car for that. its still a Mustang which is why the GT is a far better bang for the buck.

if he's lookn to upgrade then buy a GT that is already modified. be far less then a GT500 and won't lose much value cause the original owner is the one that lost his shirt on it.

A GT500 will decrease in value far faster then a build Mustang GT will and ull have WAY more HP likely. and a GT500 is heavy and their all stick shifts. Auto's are proven to go far faster easier but yea I get it some ppl like their stick shifts.

To each his own. I would take a gt500 anyday

Zemedici

Established Member

Curious about this :

GT is better bang for buck? So for $1000 you can up a GTs HP by ~8-10%+ like you can by swapping a GT500 pulley? What about the cost of a 13-14TVS swap? Gt500s can be made fast, for little to no money. With a GT there's a $4000+ buy in for real power

Why is he worried about value of a vehicle before he even buys it? He's ahead on his GT, and could stay ahead on the GT500, perhaps?

Last edited:

Skrapmetal

Established Member
If what you have always wanted is a GT500 and you can afford it, then get the GT500.

Life is too short for "almost what I wanted".

5lho

Established Member
The bang for the buck argument goes out the window on the GT500 because of the high entry cost, not the cost of adding some power. The 2011 GT500s are pretty crude stuff compared to the later ones, or even a later GT, that should be factored in as well. At least it finally got an all aluminum engine that year.

imeyers302

Established Member
The bang for the buck argument goes out the window on the GT500 because of the high entry cost, not the cost of adding some power. The 2011 GT500s are pretty crude stuff compared to the later ones, or even a later GT, that should be factored in as well. At least it finally got an all aluminum engine that year.

Please explain how it's anymore crude than the 14 GT I have? I don't get that. Motor may not be as advanced but I don't care about that at all. It's built for more power. I will never go above 600whp and the 500 can handle that all day long. In the 5.0 I would be worrying about the engine, trans, clutch, etc...

If it was 5k to supercharge the 5.0 I would do it tomorrow but there is so much more needed to reliably make that power. The 500 is an intake, pulleys swap, and tune away from a reliable 550+ at the wheels.

Last edited:

5lho

Established Member
Please explain how it's anymore crude than the 14 GT I have? I don't get that. Motor may not be as advanced but I don't care about that at all. It's built for more power. I will never go above 600whp and the 500 can handle that all day long. In the 5.0 I would be worrying about the engine, trans, clutch, etc...

If it was 5k to supercharge the 5.0 I would do it tomorrow but there is so much more needed to reliably make that power. The 500 is an intake, pulleys swap, and tune away from a reliable 550+ at the wheels.

The crudeness is in the ride, handling, brakes, options and general fit and finish. Things did get a little better over the course of time with the S197 chassis.

You do what you're going to do. I wouldn't chuck all the equity of a 3+ year newer car on the old 5.4. In stock form, the 5.4 barely feels supercharged so, you'll be going at it right away and you'll bump up against its shitty blower pretty quick. I'd save up and go with the 5.8 and then you don't need to do anything to hit your goal and, you have late-model fit and finish and options.

KushBandit

Established Member
They are asking just over 42k. Hoping I can get him to around 38-39k. Car is 100% stock and in mint shape. Wonder if they would let me do a seat swap. I doubt it but it can't hurt to ask. Going over there tomorrow to run some numbers.

Jesus Christ. $42K? A 2011 GT500 has a blue book value of $29-$32K.

Users who are viewing this thread