To get standalone EMS or not to get standalone EMS that is the question!

Darufe

Established Member
So im really wondering if im going to go with an aem infinity 8 or not and im trying to weigh the pros and cons.
I'd like some advice from you guys.
My MMR motor is complete and ready to ship, my meth injection system is still ongoing and i have a triple 465lph return style fuel system waiting at home.

The AEM seems like an AWESOME ems specialy for the lowish price.

Pros:
Many options for failsafes in the tune (potentialy saving immense money on the 21k usd motor)
Better tuning
Better boost control
more RPM (stock ecu limited to 8-8.2k rpm im told? and mmr says the engine will easily go above 9-9.5k rpm without issue)
Get to sell: eboost 2, aroforce gauges, stock ecu, x3 tuner (not even considering all the other spare crap not aem related i have to sell....)

Cons:
expensive to get fully setup. will need new gauges for pretty much everything from what i gather. need a bunch of expensive sensors and i can go with the frpp control pack for the harness (1500$) but then have to sell yet another intake ECU and a few other tidbits i dont need from it.

Now the other thing is...do i want to spend big $$ on getting it tuned with the sct x3 now to then drop the cash on an EMS and tune it allllll over again?
not really.

As far as the aem im having a hard time getting all the right info to complete the setup.
getting all the gauges mounted in a way that doesnt look like a 3 year old did it will be challenging. not to mention im gonna need a crapton of gauges.
Theres always the option of going with an aim mxl or IQ3 dash but there goes another roughly 2k to get that setup going.

at this point ive got so much money sinked into this project im wondering if i should even keep it all in the 2011GT.
but thats a whole new can of worms.....

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
what are your goals with the gcar as far as et power, the oem system will take you pretty far, it is a 7 second capable pcm in the right hands

Darufe

Established Member
Well one of my big concerns is more for the added failsafes then anything else.
the much more elaborate boost control too since the eboost 2 wont do boost by gear without me installing microswitches in the t56 (wich i really dont want to do) and im aiming for 30 psi of boost and utilising the extra rev range i spent big money on. (Fully upgraded valvetrain in stage 3 mmr heads with road runner IM and stage 3 turbo cams)

Im guessing ill have drivetrain and traction isssues more then power issues :/

The t56 will be an extremely limiting factor as far as ET goes. I might just end up throwing rhe motor in an old fox with a glide trany and built 9" that can handle the power. I went overkill on the motor and its kinda putting me in a bad position here.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
there are a bunch that will do what you need, aem, holley, fast, motec, etc.. halltec is finishing up theirs as well

CPRsm

You can add aftermarket failsafes. The eboost will boost by gear, but triggered by the clutch. But it won't go up and down by gear like you're thinking with dipswitches. Ams2000 will do everything you're talking about and keep the stock ecu

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
There are no aftermarket failsafes that will do everything at an AEM will do.

With the AEM you go way farther with being able to protect the engine. Also the ability to live tune is a great feature.
With traction control and everything all integrated into one system you can literally control everything in the car from one place.

With an AMS 2000 you do have traction control, but your only able to pull boost. With the AEM you can use the throttle blade as well to help aid in traction control.

You can shut the car off if oil pressure drops
You can shut the throttle blade if the car goes lean under boost
You can shut the car down if the trans gets to hot, the engine gets too hot, boost gets too high

The list goes on and on.

Darufe

Established Member
And if i was going to get a diff boost controller amd failsafes and crap id still never see 9500+ rpm wich the motor is built for.
not to mention by the time i add all that ill be close to the price of the aem

Users who are viewing this thread