To dip or not to dip ( Plasti dip)

pack018

Established Member
Been CONSIDERING possibly getting my car plasti dipped after seeing my friend's M3. I've been against it for a while mostly due to seeing "back yard Hondas" with stock 15" wheels or hub caps Plastic dip. But on the right car with a good plasti dip job, I have to admit it looks pretty sick. Not being permanent is another plus and being that you can get your whole car done for just around $400 makes is pretty inexpensive. Wanted to some info on guys who have done it on there cars or rims.. What are your thoughts? Cons and pros?

a659cadb25f4454936e7ab47a9d9a70a.gif
Matte white

979a4b4f67b83fa8fc4b636686419bd9.gif
another Matte white

7df88a44bf888d8e7f1335264f39ee3e.gif
Gunmetal

1f93a8db12c3b71c0ad5db49698020d9.gif
not sure of the exact name of the color

7e8f7e2cf3985da9d31d9c7c7a67161a.gif
Camo green <-- exactly the same color combo my friend has.. Thinking of doing the same

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
It seems to be a 50/50 split here. I like it, and I've thought about doing it to my E55. Considering you're up north, I think it would be a cool way to protect the paint during the nasty winters. Peel it off for warm weather, and you've got a relatively cheap change-up too.

94_Vert

Established Member
I've done it to some emblems, and what I don't like is it's hard to clean. Rough textures cling to dirt. I like a smooth surface that can be waxed which repels dirt.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Tapatalk

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
be warned if you plan on dipping your car and leaving it for a while (like a year or so) it will become hard and a HUUUUGEEE PITA to get off. my buddy just spend 10 hours pulling his off in little chips. it sucked

94_Vert

Established Member
be warned if you plan on dipping your car and leaving it for a while (like a year or so) it will become hard and a HUUUUGEEE PITA to get off. my buddy just spend 10 hours pulling his off in little chips. it sucked

^ +1, I only had some on for 20 min, and it still came off in small pieces.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
^ +1, I only had some on for 20 min, and it still came off in small pieces.

that is normal if you dont spray enough. my brother did it to his old Jeep SRT8 and it came right off. everything Ive sprayed as come right off. Just my buddies after being on for over a year. its a headache to get off

adidasUNT8

Established Member
+1 you have to do 6+ coats to do it correctly, otherwise it will come off in small pieces. I took all of it off of mine in 45 minutes. I'll be doing it again in a couple weeks when the new hood comes in.

whi tri

Established Member
For what my opinion matters I did my wheels and emblems on my dd and the biggest pita was we're I didn't put in on thick enough making it shitty to get off. It was on for a couple months and never had one nick or problems other then my front grill from bugs but it wasn't very thick there either. So basically wherever you put it make it thick enough to get off easily.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're looking at doing this, I would go the wrap route instead. Yes it costs a bit more, but it will look more professional. Additionally, while plasti-dip is not permanent, there have been stories crop up about it not exactly coming off, or leaving residue.

Just something to consider. For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen a large job (entire car) that didn't have some crappy lay down of the stuff.

coposrv

Established Member
^ +1. I'm sure plastidip will come off if you put it on think enough but the wrap route is more professional looking.

adidasUNT8

Established Member
If you're looking at doing this, I would go the wrap route instead. Yes it costs a bit more, but it will look more professional. Additionally, while plasti-dip is not permanent, there have been stories crop up about it not exactly coming off, or leaving residue.

Just something to consider. For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen a large job (entire car) that didn't have some crappy lay down of the stuff.

Mine went down well. The shop I took my car asked what body shop I had do it. Told him I did it myself. Then he asked how many years I've been painting because it's really difficult to get flat black to lay down like that. Told him it was my first pass at it. A few days later they purchased the kit to do on some of their own cars.

I would do a fresh coat of wax, wait a week or so and then do it.

Just before removing badging/lights sections:

IMG_2005_zps1ffa8889.jpg

later...
IMG_2024_zpsafa8d972.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread