To build or not to build

Stanglovin

There's no hate with a V8
Established Member
97 White Gt, she needs work. Engine is about to shit the bed (ticking sound). Need new paint job (Appraised $1500), wheel bearings need replacing and interior could use some help. I'm still in school and working all summer to figure out what to do. Should I save up a couple grand and buy a decent stang, or tough it out with this one and make it a year long project. Need advice!
Pushing more towards building it over the year want to see what way I should go with it. Love the car, not the condition. :bash:

SVTmystic290

Established Member
All depends on what your goals for the car are. If you just want a daily driver mustang than Id stick with what you have. I dont know if you know how to fix cars yourself but if theres issues put your money into the parts and tinker with it yourself. If you never take it apart youll never know how it works or why it broke to begin with. Back when I was in school I made a horrible mistake of getting rid of my perfectly driving 95 cobra, thinking I could upgrade. I ended up with an 89lx with a vortech that ended up being more of a money pit and project that I had ever imagined, plus being in school you can only make SO much money and time for it.

Figure out what to want as an end result before you take your first step!

Also if you dont know how to fix it, there could be someone you could contact for cheap labor, and some good know how...cough cough :beer:

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
Get the car mechanically sound first.
If you paint it, it will just look shiny on the tow truck if you don't do all the mechanics first.
Also keep in mind how often people will be all over the car and under the hood. Do the paint absolutely LAST.
Interior stuff for those cars should be dirt cheap. Get a rear seat delete and keep your eye out for a nice used set of front seats.

Stanglovin

Established Member
Well, my engine shit the bed, engine blew and sent a piston through the block today!!:cuss::fm: Now I'm out to look for a new engine, or just sell the car whole as a roller see if I can get something out of it... Decisions decisions...:shrug:

Stanglovin

Established Member
Get the car mechanically sound first.
If you paint it, it will just look shiny on the tow truck if you don't do all the mechanics first.
Also keep in mind how often people will be all over the car and under the hood. Do the paint absolutely LAST.
Interior stuff for those cars should be dirt cheap. Get a rear seat delete and keep your eye out for a nice used set of front seats.

Paint and interior were going to be the last things done, I just wanted to get a price range now I'm looking at a whole new stang possibly?????

Stanglovin

Established Member
All depends on what your goals for the car are. If you just want a daily driver mustang than Id stick with what you have. I dont know if you know how to fix cars yourself but if theres issues put your money into the parts and tinker with it yourself. If you never take it apart youll never know how it works or why it broke to begin with. Back when I was in school I made a horrible mistake of getting rid of my perfectly driving 95 cobra, thinking I could upgrade. I ended up with an 89lx with a vortech that ended up being more of a money pit and project that I had ever imagined, plus being in school you can only make SO much money and time for it.

Figure out what to want as an end result before you take your first step!

Also if you dont know how to fix it, there could be someone you could contact for cheap labor, and some good know how...cough cough :beer:
Well as of approximately 6:15 this afternoon, I'm in the market for a new stang or motor, we'll see what the future has in store...

DirtaySr

Private Sector Sucker
Established Member
How many miles on the chassis and motor before it blew. One other thing to keep in mind. The heads on these cars before 1999 we pretty limiting.

What price range are you in when looking for a new car.

You can still get pretty decent GTs for reasonable $$$$ made with the PI heads (after 1999 I guess)

Last edited:

Stanglovin

Established Member
How many miles on the chassis and motor before it blew. One other thing to keep in mind. The heads on these cars before 1999 we pretty limiting.

What price range are you in when looking for a new car.

You can still get pretty decent GTs for reasonable $$$$ made with the PI heads (after 1999 I guess)

Engine about 90k, prety sure the owner before wasn't too bbright and ran it on low oil:cuss: but chasssis was mint wit 160. And right now probably about 3k I need something to get to and from work and don't have time to save up for so long

Mystic1199

Established Member
Id sell the car unless you can do alot of the work yourself ..engines in those cars arnt the easiest to work on unless you have a shop to do the work in ...i wouldnt do it in the driveway lol

if your looking for a little beater car i have a nice DD a friend of mine was driving up till a few weeks ago...the starter died on her and she was given a newer car from family member ..its a 96 BMW 318i high miles but starts and drives 1200 bucks come drive it home

DirtaySr

Private Sector Sucker
Established Member
I would have to agree. You just don't want to get in a situation where you are putting good money after bad because you get underwater fast with these cars sometimes.

IMHO. Wait and start over when you get to little better starting point.

Either way. Good luck.

Last edited:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
This is a tough question... If you do not have $10 to $20 thousand to invest, then Its probably best that you sell/part it out and buy something that you can drive, easily maintain, and that you can possibly resell if need be...

Modifying a car narrows the buyers market and lowers its TRUE value...

IE Yeah my Mach 1 is heavily modified, and I have a lot of $$ into it.. I could list it for $30K and sure that seems like alot of money, in reality its not considering I have invested almost double that not including the cost of the car. There are not many buyers for an 800+ hp car, and Not many willing to pay much more than $25K on any car.

Asking $5K is not much more than what you can buy a bone stock mach 1 in mint condition and low miles.

Point is, if you going to build a car, plan on spending a lot of cash, plan on feeling let down from ppl and being F'd over a few times, plan on "hurry up and wait" having to depend on ppl to move their ass to get you your work done.

This is not negativity, it is having a good understanding and being prepared for the BS that comes with this type of project.

If you buy a nice car, something you can cruise in, keep clean and easy to maintain mechanically, I'd say that would be the best route..

If you decide you want to go balls out.. well PM me I will help you put a game plan together and parts list for what it is that you want to do.

Just my 2 Cents

Last edited:

Stanglovin

Established Member
Really appreciate the inputs from everyone, I've always wanted to build a car from the ground up but then again I'm still in Highschool and can't easily get my hands on 20-30k. I'm selling it for 1500 obo seeing what's out there and probably take a nice loan out from the bank to get myself either a nice 5-O or another SN. If anyone's looking for a pretty nice roller let them know Mustang Gt 1997 There's the link if anyone's intrested!

Stanglovin

Established Member
Id sell the car unless you can do alot of the work yourself ..engines in those cars arnt the easiest to work on unless you have a shop to do the work in ...i wouldnt do it in the driveway lol

if your looking for a little beater car i have a nice DD a friend of mine was driving up till a few weeks ago...the starter died on her and she was given a newer car from family member ..its a 96 BMW 318i high miles but starts and drives 1200 bucks come drive it home

I appreaciate the offer but I love my stangs man!

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I've seen your car in dedham before on many occasions. You here often?

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
1500.00 is a steal. You probably have more than that in mods.
Before you let it go you should try finding an inexpensive used engine and make a post here on SVT Performance that says- You'll buy the pizzas if a bunch of people help you pull the motor on a Saturday.

Stanglovin

Established Member
1500.00 is a steal. You probably have more than that in mods.
Before you let it go you should try finding an inexpensive used engine and make a post here on SVT Performance that says- You'll buy the pizzas if a bunch of people help you pull the motor on a Saturday.

That sounds promising.. Anyone willing to join? Question is where do I find an inexpensive engine, craigslist has been no help at all. (Preferably under $800, about to hit the $500 mark next Friday ).......:read:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
GREAT!! I def would sell it and move on .. make your life easier! Way too much to get involved with... At your age I would be chasing ass, and lining them up, notching the ole' head board LOL

GLWS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread