To Build 4V Teksid or Buy Crate Motor?

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
I am looking for advice here and I know the question has been asked many times......there seems to be a myriad of answers/opinions on the subject. I'm contemplating the possibility of going nuts this spring and upgrading the motor/trans/clutch/fuel system/etc.....The trans and clutch direction are no brainers. In terms of the motor I have a free 04 cobra block at my disposal, Cobra crank, Manley H beam rods.

On paper it seems like a 5.0 crate motor is going to be way more expensive and involved (new harness/PCM/etc....), but it also seems to give someone way more peace of mind for reliability. I would hate to build an older motor and have it fail because of something a crappy shop did. I don't even mind doing the assembly myself, but I still have the issue of trusting a machine shop. I've read way too many horror stories of motors eating themselves, bad work by shops to feel fully comfortable dropping that much money with a greater possibility of failure.

My goal is nothing outrageous, I'm looking to make around 700RWHP. I am wondering from the guys who have been through it already would you build your own motor using a reputable machine shop or buy a crate motor?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

greasy

SVT Noob
Established Member
Yes sir, I understand that. I'm not so worried about that. I'm not trying to build a world record holding car. I would be building a motor while I still have the stock motor in the car. I want as little downtime as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Rebuilding yourself shouldn't be a problem. Just research and choose your machine shop carefully. Maybe check with local clubs for recommendations.

When you say 5.0 crate motor, are we talking Coyote?

SpittingCobra

Established Member
Yes sir, I understand that. I'm not so worried about that. I'm not trying to build a world record holding car. I would be building a motor while I still have the stock motor in the car. I want as little downtime as possible.

Just 700rwhp... I know on the interwebs that's not a lot of power.. but it's actually a huge amount of power and the first thing I would do it NOT downgrade the block, the iron block is not as good as what you have in your car from the factory, and if you're interested in running over 800hp through the thing and are worried about reliability then that block is the wrong move IMO.

Take the crank and rods from the 03 if you want, prep your factory block and put some quality pistons and hardware in it.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
If I were in your shoes and I had the budget for a 5.0 Coyote crate motor, there would be no question that is the route I would go. If not that then for a little less I would trust something from MMR, long block with a warranty if I was really concerned about reliability. I say go for the best option your budget allows.

Just Remember the rule.. cheap, reliable and fast. You can only pick 2.. and 700 horsepower is fast ;)

Users who are viewing this thread