Title help please

SatinSnake

Established Member
Found a truck I want. From what the seller tells me, he just got the truck. Registration is in the process but he hasn't received the title back. Is there any paperwork I can have done at a bank or dmv for proof of sell that it binding? Registration papers good enough? He claims he will mail the title to me when he gets it but that doesn't sit well with me. Normally I wouldn't think of attempting this but I want the truck. Any help appreciated.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
Don't do it. Until he has title.

this. I almost got screwed on a waverunner I bought 2 years ago. guy didnt have title in hand. after 2 months of broken promises, I had to drive to his house with a officer and I finally got my title. although I have never been screwed other then that one shady guy. I have bought several cars with the owner owing money on it. We always do a bill of sale notarized and a copy of the sellers license. now a days I usually just pass on any deal if no title in hand, unless its a friend.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
Calm down, the truck will still be there when he gets the title. If he doesn't, just think of how much trouble and money that you have saved yourself.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
No title in hand, no sale. You would not believe the hassles you will have to go through if you don't get that title. There are other trucks out there.

dajohu

Established Member
That sounds like an odd situation, not sure I would risk it either.

I will say I have sold many vehicles that I had a loan on, so I had to mail the title to the buyer or his bank as soon as I received it after paying it off from the sale money. That was usually only a few days if it was from my own bank and was a little longer when I had to payoff a Ford loan and wait for thier whole process. I always told the buyer that they had possession of the vehicle, and a bill of sale proving they bought it so they had very little risk. Never been an issue, but not everyone can be trusted either.

YJSONLY

Established Member
And another thought.... Why is he getting rid of it so fast?? Mechanical issues or something that he found. Or he can't get a clean title. Just seems real fishy...... Will be waiting for the op to post a Help scammed need SVT E- detectives thread!

SatinSnake

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I just had another truck bought out from under me and was trying to get the jump on another one. I'll save the detectives for another day. :beer:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Don't do it man - Title issue are bad. I have a bike that has a screwed up title that I'm going to likely have to go to court over. Wish I would have told the guy to get bent instead I bought his BS that he would get it fixed and send me a clean title post sale.

I remember the good old days when you could go to a sellers bank, give the bank the cash to clear the loan and they would go in the back and bring out the title and sign\stamp it there on the spot and hand it to you.

boostaholick

Established Member
If he just transferred it in his name, then he will have the title in 10 days or so. atleast here in ky it only takes 2weeks at most. I'd wait it out just in case but if you have to have it now, just have the seller show you proof he just put it in his name and waiting on the title in the mail...

Users who are viewing this thread