Tires

dazwelding

Established Member
I recommend Continental DWSs for all season tires for the Boss 302. I have ran them on a couple of Autocross races in the rain and even one with some snow. Our car did very well those days.

I bought these tires to keep my family safe during inclement weather, and they are doing a great job.
Front: 285/35/R19
Rear: 295/30/R19

Last edited:

mtrsprt

Established Member
All season radials on a Boss? Letting a Boss see snow???

Ugh................

86Fbody

Established Member
All season radials on a Boss? Letting a Boss see snow???

Ugh................

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the Boss from it's appointed rounds. DWS's are awesome and I felt like they performed better on a track then the Pirelli's.

mtrsprt

Established Member
Did you compare track lap times or going by "feel"? The Pirelli's once hot are super sticky. I don't think you could get the DSW's even close when driving the tires to the limit.

86Fbody

Established Member
I believe track times were about the same with the DWS, it was also when it was about 45-50 out so it was a little cold. Overall though the DWS's I think are better tires.

Last edited:

fredfred

Established Member
I think the original Pierelli tires are junk on the track. I can not get them to hook at all. I have played with the air pressure and even very burn outs. I have put a set of drag radials and I can hit a 13.1. The original tires can't even get close to that.. I am not a rookie at the track. I varied about 55
runs a year with my 2003 Mach 1. My best time with it was a 12.89 I had MT 315/35/17 on it. She could launch real hard.. I have ordered a few different tires to try and see witch ones that will work the best. Should know in a few months..

hkerekes

Established Member
I think the original Pierelli tires are junk on the track. I can not get them to hook at all. I have played with the air pressure and even very burn outs. I have put a set of drag radials and I can hit a 13.1. The original tires can't even get close to that.. I am not a rookie at the track. I varied about 55
runs a year with my 2003 Mach 1. My best time with it was a 12.89 I had MT 315/35/17 on it. She could launch real hard.. I have ordered a few different tires to try and see witch ones that will work the best. Should know in a few months..

Drag strip is not the track that this thread is about. 13.1 on drag radials = you cant drive. People have gone mid 12's on the stock pirelli tires and high 11's on drag radials.

dazwelding

Established Member
Drag Racing

This thread was about drag racing tires until it was hijacked and thrown into a tailspin about using the DWSs on the track. I am now going to edit my original post, and start a new thread to discuss radials vs stiff wall slicks for drag racing. :idea:

Feel free to continue discussing the awesomeness of the DWS. :rockon:

Fredfred, thank you for actually reading my post, and thank you for your input. :burnout:

LostPony

Established Member
I went with the Conti DW for my Boss in the stock size. I have run them on the track(road course) a few times now and can report that they are very good. I don't feel that they have the ultimate grip the Pirellis did, but they do have a high level of grip and do get sticky. They provide excellent tactile and audible feedback. The breakaway characteristics are smooth and gradual, making it very easy to hold just a little rear slip to negotiate long sweepers.

I decided against the DWS because I figured by the time we got back to winter I would have the S worn out, and we don't see much snow here anyway. I have driven my car through a snowstorm in January to get to VIR, and did it on summer only Firestones. The car did just fine, as long as I turned the Stability and traction control OFF.

tkeinia

Established Member
Drag strip is not the track that this thread is about. 13.1 on drag radials = you cant drive. People have gone mid 12's on the stock pirelli tires and high 11's on drag radials.

on stock tires, with only a shifter installed my boss has gone 12.66 with bad wheel hop.

86Fbody

Established Member
I went with the Conti DW for my Boss in the stock size. I have run them on the track(road course) a few times now and can report that they are very good. I don't feel that they have the ultimate grip the Pirellis did, but they do have a high level of grip and do get sticky. They provide excellent tactile and audible feedback. The breakaway characteristics are smooth and gradual, making it very easy to hold just a little rear slip to negotiate long sweepers.

I decided against the DWS because I figured by the time we got back to winter I would have the S worn out, and we don't see much snow here anyway. I have driven my car through a snowstorm in January to get to VIR, and did it on summer only Firestones. The car did just fine, as long as I turned the Stability and traction control OFF.

Off topic, however, do you teach for Summit Point's BSR?

Users who are viewing this thread