Tires?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
allright so yeah the motor swap is almost done, and after all the mods with the long block i bought i should be puttin down about 320RWHP. Now this number is definetly not going to stay the same for long (knowing myself well) what tire should i put on the car?? The shop recommends i get some Weld's all around and put some slicks on it. My response to that in my head, "okay honestly slicks look badass, but don't have the mean streetable look, keep it at the track" but then if i keep the ROH 17 inch wheels i have right now on the car, and get some good street radials (i am not getting drag radials because i am not a millionare that like to change his tires everyday) but anyway, what tire should i put on??

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
i decided i am going to keep my wheels for now and change the tires, now if i get NITTO what kind are the best for my use? (good damn traction) i would want to put on a nice WIIIDEEE tire in the rear, and maybe like 225s up front? what size on back?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Since you don't want drag radials, use the Nitto 555 at all 4 corners.

What size wheels do you have?

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
the wheels are 17 inch all around. The nitto's, how are they compared to slicks?? and do they wear in under 15000 miles as i heard (well depends on usage obviously but fair idea would be?)

buddha93

Established Member
I've heard a few guys getting more than 15k on a set. Heck the old Goodyear Gatorbacks were only good for about 20k with normal driving. They honestly don't compare to a slick. The BFG's are a closer comparison.........very soft tire. I've got about 800 miles on a set now and they're toast. Of course I've haven't been to kind to them.

SVT Fun

Established Member
buddha93 said:
I've heard a few guys getting more than 15k on a set. Heck the old Goodyear Gatorbacks were only good for about 20k with normal driving. They honestly don't compare to a slick. The BFG's are a closer comparison.........very soft tire. I've got about 800 miles on a set now and they're toast. Of course I've haven't been to kind to them.

With all due respect, the "old" Goodyear Gatorbacks (245/45ZR17) were exploited as standard issue on some of the 03/04 Mach 1's new. A friend of mine brought his 03 black on black Mach 1 by the house Saturday. Loved the car. Stout, hard pulling 32V engine that literally screams on top end. But, allow me to digress <snort> <snort>.................. Personally running Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires now. At the present, the F1's have over 23,000 miles on them. A solid half tread life remains. Mall parking lot burnouts somehow have been voided from my driving agenda. However, some love sitting still whilst the rubber burns.
In other words, please, represent tires fairly or explicate and enumerate one's driving habits to give an accurate description of the miles a tire will get.
Have gotten over 50,000 miles on a set of the "old" Goodyear Gatorbacks.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
275/40/ZR17 on the ass end of that ride would look great.

Keep the stock size up front unless you want the pizza cutters look.

Rufus

Established Member
OE Gatorbacks

buddha93 said:
Heck the old Goodyear Gatorbacks were only good for about 20k with normal driving. /QUOTE]

Sorry, but I just can't let this one go without commenting so someone reading this thread will see both sides of this issue.....

I'm on my 3rd set of Gatorbacks. 1st set: 50,000 miles, 2nd set: 78,000 miles, and 3rd set: 40,000 miles and counting.

Obviously there's something different about my result than someone who wears them out in 20,000 miles.

Just for the record, I can't begin to recall the number of times in 13 years I've spun the tires on start-up, slid the rear end, locked 'em up in braking, or been well up into triple digit speeds, but I don't do it all the time. I am diligent about rotating and maintaining proper alignment and tire pressure.

IMHO, in order to wear out a set of Gatorbacks in 20,000 miles you'd: have to drive like an animal all the time ('normal' driving???), never rotate or check tire pressures, or have chronic alignment problems. Whatever the cause, no tire brand will last very long, and if it is because of driving style, it certainly wouldn't fit my definition of 'normal' driving.

Maybe I just got the only three good sets of Gatorbacks that Goodyear made!

Respectfully,
Bob S.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
~Ray~ said:
Nitto 555's

245's on the front & 275's on the back, they look sweet too ;)

x2

On the gatorback comment, the gatorbacks on the 03/04 machs were no where close to the same tire that came on the late 80's early 90's cars. I'll agree with buddha in regards to the 'old style ' gatorbacks wore out very quickly with about 30k miles being the max (20-25k being the norm). My opinion is mostly centered around in town driving with some highway driving (some abuse but not THAT much).

But I am a Goodyear hater, I have tried a couple of sets and their tires are the worst for traction, not getting even wear, and being noisy by the time they hit 10k miles or have been a year on the car.

buddha93

Established Member
LOL! I think I've created a little debate here. My comment was of course a dependent on driving conditions, etc. Also, depending on how thin you want to take a set, some guys will take a tire further past the wear indicators than others.

Me personally, the way I drove a few sets on a bone stock, automatic, GT convertible they were good for about 30k. It's impossible to drive that car hard. I rotate my tires every 5k, and pay close attention to tire pressure, wear, etc. I probably could have sqeezed another 5k out of them, but they were cheap enough so why bother.

Rufus, either you drive like a little old lady, or you got ahold of some really good tires. ;-) I've known a lot of guys to run them back on the day in different cars( IROC Z, Shelby Z), and everyone always used to complain how quickly they wore out. For you to get 78k out a set of high performance tires is outstanding......they aren't meant for that sort of mileage with a relatively soft compound.

Either way, it's still a good tire.........I bought several sets. It's been years, so it's entirely possible it's a better wearing tire nowadays.

TorchRedCobra04

8 Pistons > 4 Pistons
Established Member
hm.... so um i think i decided on 555s??...hmm *nods* why can't there be just one of everything in the world, no decisionssss

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
On the gatorback comment, the gatorbacks on the 03/04 machs were no where close to the same tire that came on the late 80's early 90's cars. I'll agree with buddha in regards to the 'old style ' gatorbacks wore out very quickly with about 30k miles being the max (20-25k being the norm). My opinion is mostly centered around in town driving with some highway driving (some abuse but not THAT much).
I agree. I have an '85 Mustang GT Convertable that I bought new when I was a kid (that I still have...I keep everything...LOL). I barely got 20,000 miles out of mine and they didn't stick worth a crap either! Not from day one.

blown...

Users who are viewing this thread