Tires, tires, tires

lzr red Cobra

Established Member
what is a good replacement for the stock BFGs?

im not loaded with cash so what is a good tire for a reasonable price?

what does everyone else run?

i was looking at some Nitto NT 555's anyone have these?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Kumhos are generally recognized as the performance bang-for-the buck tires of choice...

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
i HAD the kuhmos, and they were a great tire in the early life.. but after a while straight line traction started to crap out on me.. I dont think i would ever go back to the Kuhmos unless maybe the new MX's.. Now i got Mich. Pilot Sports and they just make the kuhmos look like shit... I HONESTLY think our cars NEED a good tire.
These are the tires i was debating..

Kuhmo MX
Yokohama AVS
Toyo T1S
BFG KD's
and the PILOTS that i got..

-Zee

Lateapex

Established Member
I've had the 555s on a couple of cars. They are better than the BFGs, but then what isn't? The tires in CraZeeSTanG's list are pretty spendy, but tires are the last place to be pinching pennies, when you are driving a Cobra, IMO.

I'd recommend you familiarize yourself with the 'rubber landscape' at the Tirerack Website. Aside from technical and price data, check out the tire tests -- they can help you get a feel for what to expect from particular tires.

Have fun.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
I just got the Supras in, Thank you Mr. UPS for brining them to me at 6pm! Now I will have to wait until tomorrow to get them installed. Also I am going to get an alignment done. I'll let you know how they are!

lzr red Cobra

Established Member
ive had 3 mustangs, a 89GT a 94 GT and my cobra. ive always used pep boys Ultra Z's on the previous 2 but i didnt wanna skimp on the cobra, i dont have ALOT of dough handy and i drive about 30 miles to and from school on a daily basis so i dont want a tire thats gonna be bald after 16k miles, like my BFG's.

i know its asking too much for a long tread life, good inexpensive performance tire. inexpensive-performance is a word thats gone the way of the 5.0

but there has to be a happy medium. i was looking at the BFG KDW's but man are they pricey:rolling:

the nittos come in pretty cheap from discout direct, but im willing to spend a couple o extra bucks for a better tire.

i dont wanna go down to a tire shop becuz in my experience they are always pushing there overstocked inventory and arent really acting in your best interest. i wanna go in with a little knowledge.

jrs442

I just put on BFG g-force KDWS, 255/45/17's and I am very happy with them. GREAT dry and wet traction and smooth riding. Paid $150 per tire mounted and balanced, which I negotiated with the car shop after getting prices off of Tirerack.

shadow

got snake ?
Established Member
Well, anything is better then the BFG's!!!!
The 712's are a great tire for the $$$$$
If you decide that you'd rather plop down a little over 300 per tire, get the Pilot Sports, best damn tire you'll ever own.

High-G Racing

Established Member
I got the Goodyear F1 GS-D3's. I LOVE these tires. I replaced the Kuhmo Ecsta's I had on the car with them. They are MUCH stickier (in the wet, and dry) and they handly GREAT in the rain. I would have to say that the two best features are, the price, $173.99/tire installed at Discount Tire, and how QUIET they are! The Kuhmos were LOUD compaired to these things.

Oh, did I mention that Goodyear rates them as 30,000 mile tires? Everyone that I have talked to that has them says that they are getting about 23,000-27,000 miles on them, though.

High-G

VENOMOUSONE

Established Member
Tirerack is a great source for comparing. I also need tires and have already made my decision. If you don't mind spending a couple more dollars then the Firehawk SZ50's have got excellent ratings from people who have purchased them. They are a bit pricey but sound like they are worth it.

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Ok I just had the tires mounted and balanced. First impressions... These are great tires for the money!! Ride is a lot quieter, good traction off the line, cornering grip is good too. It is supposed to rain later this evening so I will test out wet weather driving and handleing. So far I am very satisfied with the cost:performance ratio.

Do tires require a "break in" period? If so I will post again after 500 miles.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by jrschmank
I just put on BFG g-force KDWS, 255/45/17's and I am very happy with them. GREAT dry and wet traction and smooth riding. Paid $150 per tire mounted and balanced, which I negotiated with the car shop after getting prices off of Tirerack.

I've had Kuhmo ecsta supra 712's, bfg comp t/a's, goodyear eagle f1's, and bfg g-force kdws's.....

the kdws's were by far the best for all weather...and grip just as well and any of the others....i think it's the best value....

Just remember, you get what you pay for........

Users who are viewing this thread