Tires, Tires, Tires!

KzooMuscle

Established Member
Alright you track nuts, I am in the market for a new set of rears for my 15s. My car sees a lot of street time along with some strip, probably a 60/40 split. I rarely drive it long distances and if I do the farthest would be about 45 mins. So what I need to know are the pros and cons to the following choices, and what would net me the best ET at the track and win races on the street. So in otherwords I want my cake and eat it too! :D

Mickey Thompson ET Streets - I ran these last year, I wasn't happy with my 60's, very inconsistent but on the street, they ran great.

Hoosier QTPs - Softer, more consistent, not really sure how they would handle street driving/racing, I know they're a bit limiting on long distant drives.

Hoosier DRs - I had them on my 18s, street friendly, softer than the Mickey's but stiffer the the QTPs, require a lot of warming up before pulls at the track and on the street.

I am leaning towards the QTPs but I hate the fact that I would feel limited on driving them on the streets/highway. Unless I have been misinformed.

Any insight would be appreciated!

avgt500

Established Member
I have the mt et streets and they don't work good with a stick, I'm going straight slicks now, and just street tires for the street, swap them out when I get to the track.

01SilverGt

Established Member
Have you tried the micky Thompson et street r? I also have a built 4r70w I foot braked a 1.56 sixty with stock rear suspension. K member and coil overs up front. 315/35/17

KzooMuscle

Established Member
Have you tried the micky Thompson et street r? I also have a built 4r70w I foot braked a 1.56 sixty with stock rear suspension. K member and coil overs up front. 315/35/17

Yeah, those are what I had last season and only managed to run a best of 1.67. I was running 15psi with a good burnout, nothing John Force like, but enough to see some smoke. I was also foot braking.

I'm leaning towards trying the Hoosier DRs, just because they're a little softer, and I feel comfortable driving them anywhere from previously owning a set for my 18s. Only downfall, I know they require a good amount of heat on the street, something the MT ET Street Radials did not.

Holovacko

Established Member
M/T has released some new tires, or should I say, re-organized their tires. They have more tread pattern and compounds to choose from now, for specific needs. The new S/S tire replaces the Street Radial... The ET Street R comes as a radial and as a bias-ply.

adrian3019

Established Member
I have 275/60 15 MT drag radials, I get good traction but will probably be going to full slicks to lower my 60' I'm at 1.68 best. 1.7× average

KzooMuscle

Established Member
M/T has released some new tires, or should I say, re-organized their tires. They have more tread pattern and compounds to choose from now, for specific needs. The new S/S tire replaces the Street Radial... The ET Street R comes as a radial and as a bias-ply.

Thanks for the info! I'll do some digging on those!

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Play with the tire pressure and your launch rpms before you spend tons of money on different tires

Users who are viewing this thread