Tires...ordered a set of Pirelli P-Zero Nero's last night.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I drive my car...plenty.
I bought it new in April and it's got 19.8k on it now. It's everywhere in the five boroughs (New York), Philly and Jersey. With the northeastern weather, I wasn't happy with the stock F1's. They aren't good in the rain, and although I"ll revert to my old daily driver (Taurus) in winter weather, I'd like peace of mind of having a good all-season high performance tire on the car if I get caught up in unexpectedly bad weather. I've got a set of MT ET Street Radials mounted on two extra satin finish wheels for the track (and street fun), so I don't need a straight line tire.
I got these in the stock size from Tire Rack. With the road hazard warranty and shipping the total was $692. They seem the be the highest rated "Ultra-high performance all season" tire, I'll know soon enough.
Even though I could rotate my F1's and get another 1-2k out of them, I'll have these mounted next week.
Report to follow.
;)
S.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Snorman,

Let us know how they are. I have used Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's in stock size the last 2 winters and they're pretty decent performance wise, and great in the snow.

By the way, how are your MT drag radials? I have ordered from Summit and they're expected in January 31!!

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Damn...those MT's are backordered that far?!?
I put about 100 miles on the DR's the last day Atco was scheduled to be open for a weeknight T&T. It was heavily misting and foggy that night, and they didn't open.
I don't have any passes at the track with them, but they seem to hook pretty well from what I've experienced on the street with them.
We'll see how well they do after the first of the year (when Atco opens again) with a ported blower, 2.93", CAI, catback and tune.
S.

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
For what its worth on the P Zero's: I bought mine back in August and have just over 10,000 miles on them now. I bought the car in Feb new and rolled 20,xxx last week with it. The stock F1's only lasted 10,000 miles for me. The Pirelli's have been in rain and dry weather so far. We don't get much snow here, if any so it's hard to tell you how they will handle in the snow.

These tires have shown great wear so far. I rotate them every 3,000 miles to try and get as much out of them as I can. They hook up pretty good on the street out here, except on the slicker asphalt from the summer heat. Then they tend to spin a little more. I have noticed less wheel hop with these tires over the F1's. As for wet weather, they definately hold their own, and they embarrass the F1's in every way. The car holds the road better in corners when its wet, have yet to hyrdoplane (knock on wood) and they hold up fairly well during agressive acceleration (not like I am launching at the lights when it's raining.) They have been great tires so far, and I would not hesitate to buy another set when it comes time for new tires. From the looks of their wear, at this rate, I will see close to 20,000 miles on them before needing new ones :banana: Thats pretty sad when you think about it though :-D

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Load rating is:
P275/40 ZR17TL 93WM+S
P275/40 ZR18TL 99WM+S
That is straight off of the Pirelli website. If I am not mistaken the 93 is = 1,433 and the 99 is = 1,709. Either way I think they should be sufficient. Weighing my car with me in it and 5/8 tank was 3,860. 1,433 x 4 = 5,732. If I am mistaken with how this works, please let me know. This is just a guess :shrug:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've got a set of those on the front end of mine. Work great! Lots of rain here and I've never had a prob. Highly recommend for the daily driver.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I put these on the car about two weeks ago and they are a very good tire.
Dry pavement, I can come out at near WOT in 1st and do a full WOT 1-2 shift without breaking them loose, even in this colder weather.
Wet traction is very good and I drove the car about 280 miles yesterday, much of it in rain/sleet.
These tires are also very quiet...an issue I had with the howling F1's.
Definitely a very good replacement for somebody looking for a tire that has decent capabilities in rain/snow.

I can't imagine where a 93W (versus 98W) load rating is even an issue.
These cars aren't that heavy.:??:
S.

Users who are viewing this thread