Tires on track pack wheels for high horsepower

deepimpact14

Established Member
What are you supercharged guys running on track pack wheels for tires? Just installed a Paxton and I can't hit 4th on the highway without going sideways and scarring the shit out of the self. ( still on stock pirellis)

johnny3gears

On3 Budget Turbo Club
Established Member
Hmm 255 is plenty of tire for a supercharged coyote so it can't be the tires.. try some lca relocation brackets

_Snake_

Established Member
LOL @ 255's

OP - not sure how much power you're making, but I'm in the same situation with my Procharged Boss. The stock 285 Pirelli's just give up at 5k rpm in 1st - 3rd, and a downshift to 4th on the highway will wake everyone up.

In for answers .....

Tx5.0

Established Member
The answer is wider wheels and better tires. If you want to hook expect to kick out the cash for drag radials. You can have all the suspension mods in the world but tires are the biggest factor.

Last edited:

Debro7046

Established Member
You guys must be making some serious power with your Paxton setups. I have 305 nt555r's and I can put my foot to the floor in first and I don't spin at all.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I spin the shit out of my 275/40/19 MPSS tires with a 440 RWHP 5.0 in summer. In 60-70 degree weather even worse and more so in colder temps.

Wider tires = more tread contact to the ground and more traction. Also depends on the tire. You could have a really wide all season which won't have nearly as much grip as a comparable sized summer specific tire.

Suspension is another side the coin for traction.

deepimpact14

Established Member
The answer is wider wheels and better tires. If you want to hook expect to kick out the cash for drag radials. You can have all the suspension mods in the world but tires are the biggest factor.

Was as kinda hoping to stay on track pack wheels, I wish they would make a drag radial that would fit

_Snake_

Established Member

Was as kinda hoping to stay on track pack wheels, I wish they would make a drag radial that would fit

I was hoping to do the same, but I've come to the same conclusion about needing wider wheels to fit larger / better tires after A LOT of research.

You guys must be making some serious power with your Paxton setups. I have 305 nt555r's and I can put my foot to the floor in first and I don't spin at all.

Not really. 550 hp at the tires, but factor in 3.73 gears (same as the Track Pack) and the MT-82 with 285/35/19 Pirelli Zero's. I max out at 7.5 lbs of boost (Procharger P1SC) and have to shift around 5 lbs due to the lack of traction. I can spin all the way through third gear if I wind out 2nd to 7,000 rpms and 7 lbs. I've also put the car sideways on the highway from a 6th - 4th downshift at 80 mph.

deepimpact14

Established Member
I was hoping to do the same, but I've come to the same conclusion about needing wider wheels to fit larger / better tires after A LOT of research.

Not really. 550 hp at the tires, but factor in 3.73 gears (same as the Track Pack) and the MT-82 with 285/35/19 Pirelli Zero's. I max out at 7.5 lbs of boost (Procharger P1SC) and have to shift around 5 lbs due to the lack of traction. I can spin all the way through third gear if I wind out 2nd to 7,000 rpms and 7 lbs. I've also put the car sideways on the highway from a 6th - 4th downshift at 80 mph.

That's what I did and it was scary!

kbmag1

Established Member
fwiw: mpss 285.40.19 103y have a 11.2 tread width, wider then many 295's; TR recommends 9.5 wheels though, not sure if they would be ok on 9". bfg comp 2 275.40.19 have a tread width of 10.8; TR recommends a 9" wheel. expect at least a month and 250 per for widening wheels, making either am or oe replicas a nice option plus painting (hundred per). maybe change your gearing, i went from 3.73 to 3.31 and it helped greatly. can still easily break loose but not by accident like when i had the 3.73's.

Users who are viewing this thread