Tires on stock rims

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
New to the open track side, I have the stock cobra rims and would like to mount a good open track tire on them. What is a good tire that you can use to drive to the track, run at the track, doesn't cost too much, and will last through a few open track sessions.

The car is not a daily driver and I have 3 sets of wheels so I can make some compromises, but I want to drive the car to and from the events without changing wheels at the track.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
New to the open track side, I have the stock cobra rims and would like to mount a good open track tire on them. What is a good tire that you can use to drive to the track, run at the track, doesn't cost too much, and will last through a few open track sessions.

The car is not a daily driver and I have 3 sets of wheels so I can make some compromises, but I want to drive the car to and from the events without chaning wheels at the track.

If you are 'new' to the open track side you want a street tire. You want to learn how to drive your car on a tire that doesn't have a lot of grip.

The better you can control a car on tires that do not supply a lot of grip, the better the driver you will become!

That's free advice! ;-)

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That's what I have heard, any recommendations?

Run the (street) tires you have. Typically you would rather run on a tire that the tread is half gone as opposed to a brand new tire. Brand new (street) tires at full tread depth will not offer a lot of grip and they will chunk once you start to push them.

It really doesn't matter what brand of tire. You're just going to burn them up any way!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Sorry, I gues I left out that the street tires on those rims are Nitto drag radials, I am not gonna run those!! Plus the rears are bald!! I will be buying new street tires for that set of rims. Just wanted an idea of what people like to run as a street/track tire for a good value and that have reasonable performance.

wheelhopper

Established Member
My first 3 OT events were run on Nitto DR. They will work better than what you think. I also used the stock goodyears, they worked better than I thought they would.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
+1 on the nitto DR's...

I have used them on track, and know quite a few folks that were using them prior to the release of the RII, the NT-01, and the Toyo derivatives; Ra1 and R888.

This is only with regard to the Nitto DR......Totally different story if we are talking about BFG or MT DR's..

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Allright, I guess I am still not being clear.

I have stock 2003 cobra rims, no tires, I need to buy tires, the tires will not be for a daily driver, but I'd like to be able to drive to and from track events without changing tires. What tire do you recommend?

Phxcobra

Established Member
My first 3 OT events were run on Nitto DR. They will work better than what you think. I also used the stock goodyears, they worked better than I thought they would.

What size were your Nitto DRs. I have 315s on the back, but was going to go buy some 275s for the track. I'd just as soon use the DRs that are there but though i might have issues cornering with the fatter Nitto DRs on the back. That i might get too much flex. These are on stock rims by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread