Votes: 12 26.7%
  • MT ET Streets

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Yup I did some searching but all the info was just all over the place or wasn't exacly what I was looking for. I'm about to order some tires for the cobra just wondering which ones would fit my needs. I need something that will hook decently with 600+/- HP for when I get my KB installed and all the other goodies in May when I get back from Afghanistan. I have the tires narrowed down to 555R's/NT01R/NT05's or MT ET Streets.

I want something that will last a little while. I dont expect 15000 miles out of them by any means. I've had the 555R's and I loved them, hooked pretty well with 500+ lbs of TQ, and lasted quite a while. The car will see a little rain as spring in Germany the storms can come out of no where. Just wondering if you had the option what would you go with?

My first choice was the MT ET Streets, but after reading about how some people only had them last for 500 miles it started to worry me, also hear that they're hell in the rain. But IMO they're tread doesnt look that much different than the 555R's...Anyways any help or opinions would be appriciated!

Teej281

Established Member
I've had the NT05's before and they are FANTASTIC in the rain! They are also very sticky, or were for me anyways. Plus they have a sidewall so when you're tackling the autobahn, you throw it into some of the sweeping turns you'll be sticking instead of wobbling due to a drag radial sidewall.

Just my opinion though man. Good luck with the decision!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
So far the NT05 seems like the best bet, its dry rating is actually better than the 555R and its wet rating/tread wear its leaps and bounds above any DR out there. I think I found my tire. Hopefully it hooks at 600HP at 40 MPH lol!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
So far the NT05 seems like the best bet, its dry rating is actually better than the 555R and its wet rating/tread wear its leaps and bounds above any DR out there. I think I found my tire. Hopefully it hooks at 600HP at 40 MPH lol!

IMO the NT05 will not hook in 2nd at 40, the NT05r maybe

mach1033

Established Member
Being that you drive in the rain get a road race tire. If your making 600 plus and over 550 tq you will never hook up with a street tire.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Well I plan on buying a beater car in germany for like 1000 euro or so for snow/rain but I want a tire that if I get caught in the rain I'll survive, have decent tread life, and stick a little bit with 600+/-. What tire do you run on your cobra?

SlowLNF

Established Member
I have tried a Nitto NT01r and the Nitto NT555RII, the NT01 was HORRIBLE. Lasted maybe 3k miles and spun no matter what. Will never buy it again. The 555RII would hook from a 40 roll for me just fine and did decent in the rain.

I'm personally gonna try the NT05 and a BFGKDW2 this year and see how those work out.

Edit: I make a hair under 600whp

mach1033

Established Member
Well I plan on buying a beater car in germany for like 1000 euro or so for snow/rain but I want a tire that if I get caught in the rain I'll survive, have decent tread life, and stick a little bit with 600+/-. What tire do you run on your cobra?

I have Mickey Thompson's and I also have the toyo RA-1's which I was selling but decided to keep. I will be purchasing a second set of rims for these. Also I did get caught in the rain with my DR's and they weren't bad. I bought the tires directly from M/T's at Bradenton last year and he told me that these DR's can be driven in the rain due the grooves they have. I was going with the NT05R's but I know for a fact that they will never be any good in any wet weather. Here is a pic of the tire's.
158743[/ATTACH]"]
cobra059.jpg

158745[/ATTACH]"]
cobra049.gif

Attachments

• cobra059.jpg
    cobra059.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 105
  • cobra049.gif
    cobra049.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I have Mickey Thompson's and I also have the toyo RA-1's which I was selling but decided to keep. I will be purchasing a second set of rims for these. Also I did get caught in the rain with my DR's and they weren't bad. I bought the tires directly from M/T's at Bradenton last year and he told me that these DR's can be driven in the rain due the grooves they have. I was going with the NT05R's but I know for a fact that they will never be any good in any wet weather. Here is a pic of the tire's.
159683[/ATTACH]"]
cobra059.jpg

159685[/ATTACH]"]
cobra049.gif

I have the NTO5R's and they handle fine for me in wet weather. I've been caught in a couple storms. As long as you aren't driving stupid on wet roads the NTO5R is ok for wet roads.

The NTO5 standard tire will last longer and should still hook as long as the weather is fairly warm. These NTO5Rs stick when its above 50 degrees at a second gear punch around 40mph. I've tried it! :beer:

Attachments

• cobra059.jpg
    cobra059.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 74
  • cobra049.gif
    cobra049.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 48

mach1033

Established Member
I have the NTO5R's and they handle fine for me in wet weather. I've been caught in a couple storms. As long as you aren't driving stupid on wet roads the NTO5R is ok for wet roads.

The NTO5 standard tire will last longer and should still hook as long as the weather is fairly warm. These NTO5Rs stick when its above 50 degrees at a second gear punch around 40mph. I've tried it! :beer:

The 5R's are a great tire. I think that your the only one that drove these in the rain and didnt slide lol. Either way I wouldnt suggest anyone drive in the rain with any DR.

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
The 5R's are a great tire. I think that your the only one that drove these in the rain and didnt slide lol. Either way I wouldnt suggest anyone drive in the rain with any DR.
I mean obviously its not an all season radial, but I could drive on the tire and get myself home safe. Its not a total slick of course, and didn't fail me.
Just have to be careful, and like you said, the DR is not recommended for wet roads at all.

mach1033

Established Member
I mean obviously its not an all season radial, but I could drive on the tire and get myself home safe. Its not a total slick of course, and didn't fail me.
Just have to be careful, and like you said, the DR is not recommended for wet roads at all.

Yeah man even though I made it ok I was a nervous wreck the whole time.

rudycobra

Established Member
I just ordered reg nto5 guess I'll c how work , I had and loved the 555rs but aren't best in rain which dont bother me but everyone talks good bout nto5 so imma try them . Really would get nto5r if had money to replace 2 or three times a year .

rudycobra

Established Member
I also had the 555rll s on the front of my car . They were bad ass while new but lasted bout 3 k miles and at 2 k got caught in rain with them on front and 555r in back ! Took me 3 hours to do a usually 1 hour drive doin 35 on the interstate with flashers ! Thought for sure car was goin off road ! With your power I would have to get the nto5r's !

Alwaysready

Established Member
anyone who has said Mickey thompsons only last 1500 miles is not runnin the ET drag radial.
i bought a set that was hardly used now i have over 20 passes on them which includes
NMRA joliet and NMCA finals in st louis and i put on 5000 miles last year and they still hae lines in the tires i think they are almost down to the indicators now..
i have been on wet roads and they have been fine.
i will definetely buy another set when i wear them out
i have nitto 555s on another car and they just sucked..
MTs going on it when i wearout the 555s (not 555r)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread