Tires in Boston area

03snakenvtn

Established Member
I'll be moving to the Boston area with my girlfriend in the next month or so. Her first day of work is June 21st, so we'll be heading up there pretty soon. My dilemma is that I don't know what to do as far as tires on my 03. Both of my rear tires are starting to wear and are getting a little dangerous in the rain. I have the Nitto 555 extreme's in the stock 275/40/17 size. My options are far as I'm concerned are either get drag radials and just drive it in the summer/good weather, and take the train pretty much everywhere most days. My other option is to get all-season tires and drive it everywhere except in snow. If I choose drag radials, I'm looking at the Nitto's based on my horsepower level (450 isn't all that much, so the Nitto's should be able to handle it and should have the longest tread life, compared to BFG and MT). If I choose all-season tires, I have no idea which to choose, because I don't want the handling or traction to suffer. On my current Nitto 555's, there was never any traction at all in 1st, and very little if any traction in 2nd at full throttle as well. If there are options that provide better traction than my Nitto 555's, I'd be interested in that as well. Sorry it's so long, we just don't know where we're living yet, but are planning on being close to a train station, so hopefully drag radials will be my best option.

hotcobra03

Established Member
tires

i just got the new goodyear f1 all season

so far they fell ok very smooth ride ,quiet,and they hook for now

we did all four came out to 880.oo

our cobra is stock so 400rwhp isnt much but still hard to find a good street tire that does work

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Depends on where in the Boston area your moving to but for the most part the roads suck just as bad as the weather around here. Your best bet is to get some DR, any will do well on the street with that power level and just drive it when its nice. DR are your best bet I had 315 BFG comp T/A and couldn't get them to hook very well so i went with the DR, but i only drive when its nice out. If it is your only vehicle i would probably stick with a good summer tire.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
We're not 100% sure where we're moving just yet because it's a traveling sales job based in the Boston area. We were looking around the Cambridge, Somerville area because it seems like there's some pretty affordable places there. Where would y'all recommend for 2 people in their mid-late 20's?

Users who are viewing this thread